• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jacques Torres Chocolate & Chocolate Haven

ahr

I was in the new Manhattan spot a few weeks ago and have to agree with what's been said about the confusion issue. I sat at one of those neat little tree branch tables and watched Deb (and a number of other customers) get in one line after another only to be told that they were in the wrong line for what they were looking for. I did see bags of cacao beans through the window, but no sign that they had actually started to process them there yet. It's a nice space and I'm sure they will get it together eventually, but they have a ways to go yet. I am the wrong person to talk to about the relative merits of chocolate because I would be perfectly happy in a world without it, but Deb did like the hot chocolate and she loves their champagne truffels.

Cheers,

HC

I was at the new Manhattan branch over the weekend, before the Times article came out. The staff was already pushed to capacity with holiday shoppers, so I imagine they were overwhelmed with post-NYT article crowds.

The Mexican hot chocolate still rocks. The space needs work, IMHO. The Brooklyn location was so popular that it was always overcrowded, but the Manhattan location seems to be set up wrong -- it's a large space, but doesn't have enough tables, and the set up leaves lots of empty, unused space. It's very expensive real estate, too. I hope this new location isn't "the bridge too far." We want Torres around for a long time to come.

I visited the new shop today at lunchtime. It was not at all crowded, and I found the staff friendly and helpful. There were no lines, and the folks behind the counter asked me what I wanted, so there weren't any issues about where to stand and so forth. I loved the space. I bought a bar of milk chocolate and a bar of 60% bittersweet that I'm going to taste later and maybe use in baking. I also got a small bar called "Coffee Break: Milk Chocolate Turbo," made from milk chocolate and coffee. It's really tasty.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

Speaking of the place, I am interested in knowing what people think of his hot chocolates. I am a hot chocolate fiend, especially when it's 18F outside. The Jacque Torres hot chocolates are $20 per can and I find that if you make the recommended dosage of chocolate to milk, it is so rich that you can only have a tiny sip before you overdose. Wondering if anyone out there has similar experiences or if I'm just a chocolate wimp needing to build up to it.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

Speaking of the place, I am interested in knowing what people think of his hot chocolates.  I am a hot chocolate fiend, especially when it's 18F outside.  The Jacque Torres hot chocolates are $20 per can and I find that if you make the recommended dosage of chocolate to milk, it is so rich that you can only have a tiny sip before you overdose.  Wondering if anyone out there has similar experiences or if I'm just a chocolate wimp needing to build up to it.

I *love* the Wicked Hot Chocolate but I only use a bit more than half the recommended amount when making it at home.

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega

• 8 months later...

I finally got to visit the Manhattan chocolate location (it was further over into Tribeca than I expected), a nice bright open space. The counter layout remains kind of confusing, with one part set up for the beverages (but with people sitting right there so it's hard to line up), and the rest for the truffles and bars. There are also various treats placed around the shop. I got to try the frozen version of the famed Wicked chocolate drink, and it was awesome. Very rich, and a pleasant chile buzz aftertaste. Jacques himself was there (as usual it seems from the boards), playfully attacking someone's baby with a giant stuffed frog toy. The factory wasn't running unfortunately, but it was nice to have all the windows to look in and see the Wonka-esque equipment. Can't wait to eat my truffles!