• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Day at The Races

docsconz

I can weigh in only to agree with the others on the pleasure of both food and company. We were there only for the Sunday meal but it was delightful - the food mentioned for the Saturday dinner was converted to picnic fare. I tried.... cold chicken, lamb salad, potato salad (purple and white potatoes), cold pork with corn, my own duck salad (needs some work!) and the aforementioned brownies, blondies and peach ice cream. All were delicious.

Steven's observation about the track as a place for a picnic gathering are apt - it's a bit crowded and too far from the action. My nomination for a future eGullet NY state summer outing is for a Saturday in late June on the first day of the Saratoga Jazz fest at SPAC. JPW (Joe) of the DC/VA/MD forum is always there with his lovely wife Lynn and invariably someone is at the gates early enough to secure a prime spot on the lawn, large enough to handle a crowd that comes and goes. The music lienup varies but the prime activity during the day has always been hanging out on the lawn and eating - a perfect fit for eGullet folks. Let's consider that as a possibility for next summer.

I believe the fine quality of the finished gnocchi had everything to do with the skilled way the cheese was added at the end :wink:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

The pig is a Gloucester Old Spot. It's mate (not shown) is a Large Black.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

I believe the fine quality of the finished gnocchi had everything to do with the skilled way the cheese was added at the end :wink:

Indeed, but it was Fat Guy's secret blend of Lacatelli and Parmigianno-Regianno that raised the dish to its pinnacle.

Steven's observation about the track as a place for a picnic gathering are apt - it's a bit crowded and too far from the action. My nomination for a future eGullet NY state summer outing is for a Saturday in late June on the first day of the Saratoga Jazz fest at SPAC. JPW (Joe) of the DC/VA/MD forum is always there with his lovely wife Lynn and invariably someone is at the gates early enough to secure a prime spot on the lawn, large enough to handle a crowd that comes and goes. The music lienup varies but the prime activity during the day has always been hanging out on the lawn and eating - a perfect fit for eGullet folks. Let's consider that as a possibility for next summer.

But you can't bet any exactas at SPAC! :angry:

"These pretzels are making me thirsty." --Kramer

No grad, but my wife and I have taken the day courses there, at which they provide the aprons.

Twitter - @docsconz

Sorry we missed you Mark. Star Hill Dairy is located in Woodstock, VT. i order directly from them. I would like to see Putnam Market carry their products, although I don't believe they currently do.

Twitter - @docsconz

I saw the yoghurt at Sheldon's Farm Market in Shushan. I didn't see the mozzarella, but they may have been out.

Twitter - @docsconz

• 2 weeks later...

Just received some information from my friends at the Chestnut Tree Inn - B&B at 9 Whitney Place in Saratoga. They still have some rooms available for next weekend (the final weekend of racing at Saratoga). I've stayed there for many years and it's truly a fine B&B and walking distance to the track and downtown. If anyone is going next week call them (518) 587-8681 - ask for Kathleen.

This week (after the Travers) has always been my favorite time in the Spa. The crowds are dwindling, the restaurant reservations are easier to get - it's more of the "real" Saratoga experience.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!