• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

OKIE DOG

I believe the cross street is Willoughby, but I can't remember if it's on La Brea or Fairfax.

Anyone have the street address?

I haven't been there in decades!

I'm working on an eclectic/cheap eats/greasy spoon/wierd sights webpage for the budget traveler/tourist.

Any rec for the greater Hollywierd area?

My map runs from Hollywood Blvd to Olympic, La Cienega to Vermont.

Because Hollywood Blvd "Central" is a sight in itself, I'm not highlighting its individual spots.

I have a bunch, but I'm sure I'll miss something.

Aaahhh Okie Dog,....pass the Tums!

Thanks!

S_A

Edited by Stupid_American (log)

For Bangkok eats, check out my Cheap Eats Bangkok

The L.A. County Dept. of Health website may be of some use to you -- name and zip code searches, reverse directory, etc. Good way to scour an entire neigborhood for spots...

"OKI DOG 3"

860 N FAIRFAX AVE

LOS ANGELES 90046

02/11/2004 -- 92

"OKI DOGS"

5056 W PICO BLVD

LOS ANGELES 90019

07/18/2003 -- 80

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

I was looking for the one on Fairfax.

Oki Dog, huh?

That might explain the problems I had with searches!

Although it's far from "all encompassing", this is the page.

It's still a work in progress.

I'll correct the spelling on the next incarnation.

I'm pretty much passing on the main boulevard "strips".

And, I'm avoiding bars and clubs.

I think people will cover those on their own.

I'm shooting for the cheaper, lesser known, side-street stuff.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Edited by Stupid_American (log)

Interesting concept. If I tried this I'd probably never get past Amoeba. Magic Castle incidentally has awful food. Good magic tho. You might check The Juices Fountain on Vine. And there's a strip mall at Fountain & Vine that has all sorts of low down type spots of various ethnicities including Atch Kotch.

As long as you're going to Bodhi Tree, you should stop in at nearby Urth Cafe for coffee or tea and maybe something chocolate.

Edited by hollywood (log)

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

Funny that the Health Department should be the source of info on Oki-Dog. :smile:

A neat LA eatery. It has been a few years, but as I remember it, the name-sake Oki-Dog is a hot dog, along with corned beef, cheese, chili and onion, wrapped in a flour tortilla. Two fisted eating and then some.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Really great, bad, drunk food.

The one on Fairfax was moved from it's original spot on the corner of Santa Monica and Gardner.

(Where FatBurger is now).

And the last place Darby Crash of the Germs hung out before he OD.

We need to find courage, overcome

Inaction is a weapon of mass destruction

So I've been told :rolleyes:

It's too bad so many of the funky places are being replaced or abandoned.

Recent disappearances - Sunset Grill and rockn'roll Denny's on Sunset. Not that they were great, but definitely character driven.

So speaking of Sunset for your tour, how about El Compadre with cheap Mexican eats and flaming margaritas? Or Moun of Tunis tucked away across the street?

Much further west is Book Soup with their sweet little cafe and of course Duke's coffee shop next to the Whiskey (Duke's originally was attached to the Tropicana Motel on Santa Monica, also gone).

And what about the 3rd St. house with the collection of David statues mounted around the driveway?

Definitely worth a drive-by, perhaps on your way to El Taurino, my favorite bullfighter themed restaurant on Hoover south of Olympic. The truck out back has tacos to die for.

We need to find courage, overcome

Inaction is a weapon of mass destruction

On the Thai Town leg of your journey, you might consider a visit to Kruang Tedd Music & Thai

Address: 5151 Hollywood Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90027

Phone: (323) 667-9800

It's next door to Jumbo's Clown Room where Courtney Love was once (does she ever do anything once?) a stripper.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

Places like Thaitown, Farmer's Market, Sunset & Hollywierd Blvds, and the like, could be pages of their own.

Right now, I'm just drawing up a sampling to get people started.

I could mention Palms Thai, for Kevin, the Thai Elvis.

But,I don't even want to name a Thai joint.

Nothing fires up the know-it-alls like Thai food!