• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anniversary

Kear

We have an anniversary coming up in a few short weeks and I have 2 places in mind, The Vu in Jersey City and The Ryland Inn. We have been to both before, The Vu a week after it opened, and we went to The Ryland 2 years ago and had the tasting menu with the wines. The Vu was good but not fantastic, and the Ryland was fantastic , but very expensive. Now I hear that The Vu has a new chef, or at least changed the menu, and The Ryland has a Bistro every night except Saturday, that is not as expensive. Has anyone been to either since any of these changes came about? If so what was your take?

Edited by Kear (log)

Ambiance CAN be as important as the food!

I love The Bistro at The Ryland Inn. It has a typical Bistro menu, is much less expensive and is open to the charming bar. There is also a pianist who plays (at least on Thursday and Friday evenings when it's Bob Eagon ). If you call you might mention that it's your anniversay and can they give you one of the special tables in the corner of the room where the piano is. I find it very sophisticated and Urban, the only problem is some of the singles who come in to drink and hang around the piano.

Is the cafe Newport unpopular on this board for some reason? I never see it mentioned, even in lists of Jersey City "upmarket" places to eat.

We like it, a great deal, and celebrate some of our special events there - the fact that it's a cavernous and quiet room (with an unbeatable view of downtown) helps, The food is stellar, an Italian repertoire prepared with care and the best ingredients (I'm salivating slightly at the thought of the carpaccio), the service is solidly professional. The owner, to boot, is your old style genial and effusive host.

Yes, in the summer when the patio's open it is actually impossible to beat. You sit overlooking the marina, listen to the quiet grind of boats straining at their hawsers, and watch the ducks glide on as the sunset reflects pink and orange and maroon in the glass canyons across the water.

But it's an all season occasion restaurant for us. Highly recommended.

Cafe Newport

Went this week to the Bistro at Ryland..wonderful, charming, very good and reasonable Bistro food...however, it IS your anniversary, the celebration of your years together..is she worth the full boat at Ryland?If she is diagnosed with "the big C" next month..will you regret not bringing her for dinner at the Ryland Inn..that sounds oppressive, I apologize, but the fragility of life is always on my mind lately :sad: onto better thoughts... if she bore you children, please, spring for the big dinner! :laugh:

Edited by Kim WB (log)

Thank you, all. We have gone ahead and decided we will go to The Ryland Bistro.

Rosie, have only heard good things about Nicholas and will positively go there when the chance presents itself. The same goes for Frank's Waterside. Bernardsville Inn is terrific, but we were there around the holidays.

Coughy, Scalini food is very good, but I think it's a little 'full' of itself, if the maitre'd could look any further down his nose he would fall over backward.

Kim WB, we ARE going to celebrate our years together! We are both in our mid 50's and have been married 5 years, we have been lucky enough to have found each other this late in life. On our first trip to The Ryland Inn we went all the way, tasting menu and the top flight of wines to just short of $500, drinks and tip included. This trip to the Bistro is a joint decision.

I thank you all again for your intelligent imput and interest.

Neil and Carol

P.S. Bhelpuri, we have been to The Newport and did enjoy it very much. We look foreward to going back when the weather is nicer to walk along the dock and see those multimillion dollar yachts, before sitting on the patio.

Kim WB, we ARE going to celebrate our years together! We are both in our mid 50's and have been married 5 years, we have been lucky enough to have found each other this late in life. On our first trip to The Ryland Inn we went all the way, tasting menu and the top flight of wines to just short of $500, drinks and tip included. This trip to the Bistro is a joint decision.

I was off base injecting that unnecessary judgement call into my post, and I am sorry...I think the Bistro is wonderful, and its a great decision...my apologies for sticking in an undeserved "accusation" of sorts...and congratulations!

• 3 weeks later...

We had made plans to go to the Ryland Bistro, but we cancelled them in favor of

The Vu . The decision was made when we heard about the Queen Mary 2 and The Queen Elizabeth 2 both leaving from NYC on the same night, Sunday, our anniversary.

We were able to get into The Vu for dinner at eight , in time to see both ships staging off The Statue of Liberty with a fireworks show. It should be quite a spectacle, will report on the food.