• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG FoodBlog: Mayhaw Man - I eat more than Okra

And on top of everything else, our Mayhaw Man was quoted in the Wall Street Journal today. In an article about bathroom attendants, but it's there.

One of my proudest accomlishments in the recent past :hmmm:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

How about making this particular blog a permanent thing?  What do you say?

I second that notion!

I believe I have even picked up the slightest southern accent after reading your wonderful musings. :wink:

Thank you for taking the time to share your life with us. But, please don't think because your week is up that we want you to stop. Brooks, when you get the itch please feel free to let us know what's happening with you, your family and town by posting it here. Did ya cook something good? Post it here (with pics please). Take a tour of Avery Island? Post it here. Go shrimpin'? Please, post it here.

I'm with Jinmyo, pin this blog!

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

<-----Has this visual of the venerable Mr. Mayhaw sitting on the front stoop in a caned rocking chair, the air laden with moisture and the scents of the bayou heavy around him.  The occasional whine of a dragonfly, piercing the stillness, when he pauses from his tales.  The murmurs of several dozen adults sitting at his knees, rapt in attention.  A plaintive "Daddy Mayhaw.....tell us some more, please?" hums over the heads of the audience............

Well done Mr. Mayhaw and good to read you once again......... :wink:

Nice to see we haven't reached our quota of Redheads yet. And a hot redhead to boot.

Edited by clothier (log)

But, please don't think because your week is up that we want you to stop. Brooks, when you get the itch please feel free to let us know what's happening with you, your family and town by posting it here. Did ya cook something good? Post it here (with pics please). Take a tour of Avery Island? Post it here. Go shrimpin'? Please, post it here.

I'm with Jinmyo, pin this blog!

Many thanks for sharing. I've got the crystal sauce, I made the pan fried chicken, I'm checking Obitz now for flights, I really need to eat fresh shrimp. Wonderful, wonderful blog about food and lots of other good stuff. Please, write on!