• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breadline

babka

Mark is doing a fundraiser at the Breadline to benefit relief efforts in South Asia. It will be on February 3th from 5-8pm. He is contacting local chefs to ask for their participation. He is currently in France, but will be back on Monday. More details then.

Edited by tomdc (log)

Probably....they have a van I see tooling around occasionally, presumably filled with tasty breads. As for myself, I was rockin' the Toast Tite today...truely a noble grilled cheese sandwich (With apologies to the Capital Grounds 'Three Cheese Grille". I still love you, but the toast tite contains five!).

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

• 4 weeks later...

Mmm. Just finishing a delicious tuna salad sandwich. Is that preserved lemon I taste? Thought y'all would want to know that the daily menu is now listed online:

Breadline

thanks egulleters for pointing me to this tasty lunch spot! :wub:

"Big media today wants to own the faucet, pipeline, water, and the reservoir. The rain clouds come next." - Ted Turner

Blast. I would have had the scoop if I weren't still working on my sausage sandwich.

Not sure how long this will last...I'm no blogger, but something tells me posting a menu for a commercial establishment may run a-foul of their 'acceptable use policy'.

Edited by Chef Shogun (log)

Matt Robinson

Not sure how long this will last...I'm no blogger, but something tells me posting a menu for a commercial establishment may run a-foul of their 'acceptable use policy'.

Looks like that blog may actually be from BL themselves. Blogs are 1) easy to use and update and 2) free. Sounds like they got tired of people asking for the specials online or in an email.

Another good local source for bread is the Bonaparte bakery in Savage Mill MD (north of Laurel just off Route 1). We had a local caterer in Edgewater, MD who had a retail store front that carried the Bonaparte bread, it was as good as any I've found locally. Flavorful, crusty, came in baguettes, boules, and bruschettas.

Unfortunately, their catering business is going well, and they nixed the retail storefront AND the good bread distributorship. We still have pretty good bread at the Whole Foods and Giolitti's in Annapolis, but none are up to Bonaparte's level.

Looks like that blog may actually be from BL themselves. Blogs are 1) easy to use and update and 2) free. Sounds like they got tired of people asking for the specials online or in an email.

Looks more like a corporate site masquerading as a blog. I don't know how long BL will be allowed to use that site for free.

The only time I have willingly eaten a tuna sandwich was on hikes at sleep away camp. They would trek us up to the top of some mountain to eat lunch. You could either have processed cheese on white or tuna on wheat. I would pick the lesser of two evils and suffer through the tuna. (Ironically I shared some of these sandwiches with Mark's niece, but that's another story.)

Today I found myself nearby Breadline during lunchtime. I've heard you people rave and I remember the good old days of Marvelous Market but I have never had the Breadline experience. Until this afternoon. As I stood in line in the middle of the craziness that is Breadline at 1pm I found myself standing in line craving a tuna fish sandwich. Haven't had one in 14 years.

I'm trying to find the perfect combination of words to describe the tuna sandwich sitting on my table but the words escape me. I couldn't do it justice anyway. This tuna sandwich with "Moroccan influences" on olive bread is a work of art. And I don't even like tuna fish. It is just a simple, excellent tuna fish sandwich. This is a tuna sandwich I could eat again and again.

While paying for my perfection and a side of fries the cashier greeted the woman behind me by first name. She had a cup of lemonade in one hand and was hiding her other behind her back. Turned out she was holding a sub from Subway :wacko:

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

• 1 month later...

I am really hoping to grab lunch at Breadline tomorrow. Just checked the web site and confirmed that it has not yet been shut down by blogspot.com.

Hoping for something as tasty as the items on today's menu sound...if anyone will be in that vicinity around 12:15 and wants to meet up, feel free to PM me.

Question: just in case the weather tomorrow isn't as good as today, what's the seating situation at Breadline?

You should do alright for seating. I can never get there that early, so I don't know how busy it will be, but it should be fine. There's a row of tables on the main level, and then a sort of loft area with more tables.

I want to say that the Thursday specials are....the burrito, the cheesesteak, butternut squash soup, and turkey noodle soup. Not 100% sure, though....I usually give Thursday a miss and go back Friday for the fish!

Matt Robinson

I want to say that the Thursday specials are....the burrito, the cheesesteak, butternut squash soup, and turkey noodle soup.  Not 100% sure, though....I usually give Thursday a miss and go back Friday for the fish!

Nah, Thursday's stuff sounds fine to me! And I'll be in NYC by lunchtime on Friday.

Thanks for the info. :smile:

Have they had the fried oyster po boy with any regularity lately? That sandwich belongs to my special group of restaurant items that I'll never forget because they're so good.

OK, looks like the Oyster po boy is one of the Thursday specials. And the Cuban sandwich. Truly, Thursday is the day of the divine sandwiches at Breadline.

I want to say that the Thursday specials are....the burrito, the cheesesteak, butternut squash soup, and turkey noodle soup.  Not 100% sure, though....I usually give Thursday a miss and go back Friday for the fish!

OK, looks like the Oyster po boy is one of the Thursday specials. And the Cuban sandwich. Truly, Thursday is the day of the divine sandwiches at Breadline.

pwned. :wink: Could have sworn it was the burrito and cheesesteak today. Ah well, the Cuban is great! One of my favorites. I still say the king of Breadline sandwiches is the fried cod!

Edited for: Hey, new soups! (White bean with sausage, and mushroom vegetable)

Edited by Chef Shogun (log)

Matt Robinson

Ohh, false advertisement alert!!

Went to the Breadline, and no oyster po boys in sight! Instead, they were featuring the soft shell crabs today. I was a little disappointed since I had my heart set on the oysters. But I happily settled for the cuban pork.

Lesson learned today: blogs may not always be truthful.

Waah, did not get to go today (and that white bean soup sounds awesome). I got a call from my boss at 10 pm saying I could no longer take the day (or Friday) off.

It's been a long day and it's not over yet. A City Lights delivery person is on his way over here now.

:angry::angry::sad::sad::angry::angry:

Edited by JennyUptown (log)

Yeah, I couldn't go either.....nor will I have fish tomorrow. I'm just worried about the rest of my office. I got two of my underlings hooked on the things, and the boss wanted one this week, too. Hopefully they can fend for themselves!

Your instincts on the white bean soup are probably accurate: their sausage rules, so anything they do with it has to be good, and they've got a great track record with soup! It'll be back this time next week, though.

Hey, anybody hear anything about the hot dogs they were supposed to have started serving a long time ago?

Matt Robinson

• 2 weeks later...

Great -- We should all go because they won't stay open if there are no customers! That area can be pretty quiet on Saturdays.

Do you have the url for the blog?

I just saw on the Breadline blog that they will now be open for lunch on Saturdays from 11am - 3pm. Hooray!