• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

favorite breakfast food

Breakfast food is the best...I love Thomas's sourdough English muffins, split toasted and generously buttered, topped with some seedless black-raspberry jam with a perfectly ripe slice of honeydew or cantelope on the side. Mmm. Also fond of simple poached eggs on toast, cooked so the yolk is still "runny" and it mixes in with the butter on the toast. On weekends I make buttermilk biscuits or pancakes and veggie sausage. Sometimes "real" sausage, or bacon. It's all good, that breakfast food.

a medium t-bone, fried taters (fried in bacon grease of course) with plenty of onions and fresh parsley, hot buttermilk biscuits and a COLD brew to wash it all down.

YUM!! :biggrin:

Edited by tastykimmie (log)

"look real nice...............wrapped up twice"

fave daily breakfast=

green tea, maple yogurt, 1 cup milk with 1 scoop slimfast (concerned about vitamins, not losing weight), 2 slices 22-grain bread, toasted...

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

I liked Holly Moore's list a lot, but my No. 1 choice is Eggs Benedict, hands down. (With an extra crumpet on the side so I don't waste any Hollandaise!)

Edited by thursdaynext (log)

"A good dinner is of great importance to good talk. One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." Virginia Woolf

Mmm, breakfast. I looooooove breakfast.

Tops would be french toast or blueberry pancakes with a choice of pork (in order of preference, bacon then sausage). When I'm in LA, I try to get to Blueberry in Santa Monica for that lovely meal. In Moosic, PA (near my hometown), it's the Moosic diner, conveniently located by the on-ramp to Route 81. Coffee, splash of milk, half a packet of sugar.

When I lived in NYC, I got breakfast from the Grey Dog in Greenwich Village almost every day. Usually it was their delish banana blueberry bran muffin. What I wouldn't give to have such a muffin here in DC. I wonder if they'd freeze & ship...

I also liked their oatmeal with lots of brown sugar and fruit chucked on top. More pork. Big skim iced latte to wash it all down.

In my DC neighborhoods (work/home), my breakfast choices are limited and depressing. Usually I get a poppyseed bagel with cheddar cheese from Cosi.

My normal breakfast: Slice of Milton's whole wheat toast, one Morningstar farms breakfast patty, pan seared (nonstick pan) and 1egg plus 1 egg white over easy (cooked in nonstick pan). I'm trying to cut back on that yolk, but damnit, I love that yolk.

My favorite breakfasts: The best breakfast ever is leftover Thanksgiving dinner - hot stuffing and turkey, a bit of cranberry sauce and candied yams, cold glass of milk. mmmm....

second best: cold pizza on a Sunday morning with a mug of hot tea. nibble pizza slowly, sip tea, read the paper. Pizza is such a Non-breakfast food, it's sort of illicit to do this, which is a large part of the joy for me.

Favorite dinner: Blueberry pancakes with good sausages or bacon and a BIG glass of OJ.

Edited by lala (log)

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

When I was younger and my mama made pancakes, she'd cook everyone else's with her batter made up, then thin it way down and cook mine. Imagine my surprise when I discovered my skinny pancakes were crepes! Always liked them like that, with sour cream and link sausages. Yum!

skillet fried potatoes and onions - so very Southern - fried eggs and crispy bacon - biscuits and/or cornbread with butter and honey

of course a daily breakfast like this is an invitation for arterial disaster - so I usually make do with yogurt, oj and turkish coffee

Good food is like music you can taste, color you can smell

~Gusteau, Ratatouille

scrapple

plenty of bacon and sausage

YUM Scrapple...I miss scrapple :rolleyes: Makes my "eyes light up and my tummy say howdy"

I've eaten lots of things for b'fast, but I think my fav is a really good bagel with lox and sheamr (cream cheese) and i've eaten some really really baaaad bagels in my life over the country (ND and SD thnk bagels -or DID think bagels were bread doughnuts :wacko: when I was there in the late 80s)

"As an ancestor of the next generation, ask yourself what history will you leave behind?"

~~ Ginny Salkowski: 2002 ~~