• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

favorite breakfast food

Bacon. But that same food goes for lunch and dinner. It is the food of choice for me. Second is really strong coffee. Made from freshly ground dark greasy beans.

Realistically, weekdays it's toast with Hope butter (preferably toasted Acme levain).

Weekends when the kids and husband are around it's bacon; eggs; and blueberry muffins (frozen blueberries collected from places near The Cabin) or waffles or blueberry pancakes or buttermilk pancakes. Something to stoke the kids up for work and to keep them from wanting a Real Lunch. Rule of thumb here for kids is don't feed them as soon as they get up. Wait a bit, or their tummies and minds will think that waking = eating breakfast. I need at least two cups of coffee on the deck (no matter the season) before I can even see the stove.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Nice and hot koshihikari rice--just goes well with everything.

My favorite? Natto! Some say its rotten. No, it's fermented.

Miso soup with lots of vegetables.

Traditional, old-fashioned. But I like it anyway.

Yeast waffles. Grade B maple syrup. Sausage links. Scrambled eggs with fresh chives. Combine flavors at will.......

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

1. --Potato pancakes with chunky applesauce and sour cream. (The pancakes made from grated taters --- not mashed potatoes mixed with pancake mix.)

2. --Dim Sum - with the afore-mentioned callion Pancakes.

3. --Shao Bing (warmed) with peanut butter.

I'll have another cup of coffee, please!

Breakfast for me during the work week always consists of a pint glass with a double shot of espresso, fill with coffee, top with hot milk. The sides vary on how the kitchen feels like treating us that day. This week I had scrambled eggs a couple of times, good bacon and pancakes one day with mixed berries in syrup to top them off :wub:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Stir fried chinese carrot cake. Chinese carrot cake is essentially a block of white radish paste with flour. Its then chopped up and fried with eggs, generous dashings of thick black soya sauce, chilli paste, preserved turnip and lard. Heavenly when served topped with green onions with extra chilli at the side to taste :laugh:

Grits are my favorite. I've eaten them throughout the South. Strangely enough the very best I've ever had were in Van Nuys/N Hollywood California(I'm not sure which) at a restaurant called The Hungry Fox. Its an old fashioned, diner type restaurant filled with regulars, many of them members of LAPD. All of their breakfasts are excellent, their grits are exceptional. They also do superb matzo brei, lox n eggs, eggs Florentine and virtually every breakfast staple you can think of except that I've never seen scrapple on the menu. I'm sure if I mentioned it they would have that as well. We go to California about three or four times a year to visit our son and daughter and their families. We have breakfast at the Fox each morning. Our favorite waitress Susie knows us by name and always takes great care of us.

Porkpa

ok jook is congee, now someone tell me what congee is. i live in nj we eat eggs and pancakes for breakfast! anything fancier has to be explained:)

Jook (pronounced joke) is a Thai rice porridge. It is usually made with left over rice, boiled with some light chicken stock until it is a thick porridge. The hot porridge usually has flavored ground pork meatballs and just before serving an egg is poached in the hot joke. It is then garnished with coriander and green onions and thin strips of ginger. It is one of the best breakfasts you can have...tastes great and keeps me quite full until lunch. Hope this answers what joke is.

Jim

Congee.

Or rice with over easy eggs atop, furikake (nori sprinkles stuff) and togarashi (chile powder), a touch of shoyu or sesame oil.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Huevos Rancheros with some chile verde sauce. I used to think Mexican for breakfast wasn't too exiting but I gave in, tried it and am hooked. Great with some home style hash browns.

I sometimes do omelette and Jack taquitos with chipotle-adobo dipping sauce and guacamole (really just rough chopped avocadoes with scallions, coriander, lime juice and a few bits of chopped lime).

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

As far as breakfast goes, my ideal breakfast would be scrapple, bacon, and scrambled eggs with tabasco sauce, as well as toast, fresh-squeezed oj and lots of coffee. Here's a quote from Hunter S. Thompson about breakfast.

"The food factor should always be massive: four Bloody Marys, two grapefruits, a pot of coffee, Rangoon crepes, a half pound of either sausage, bacon, or corned beef hash with diced chilies, a Spanish omelette or eggs Benedict, a quart of milk, a chopped lemon for random seasoning, and something like a slice of key lime pie, two margaritas and six lines of the best cocaine for dessert....Right, and there should also be two or three newspapers, all mail and messages, a telephone, a notebook for planning the next twenty-four hours, and at least one source of good music....All of which should be dealt with outside, in the warmth of a hot sun, and preferably stone naked."

"yes i'm all lit up again"

Lemon yogurt and blueberries

or

Miso soup with tofu and tempura bits, and a bowl of Koshihikari rice, and some pickled vegetables.

Back in my younger days, my favourite breakfast was a "hooker's breakfast" (i.e., coffee and smokes)... :shock:

Any well done breakfast buffet in a hotel in Mexico is my idea of breakfast heaven. If you have been living right, it will have chilequiles done with a tomatillo sauce, refried beans cooked with real fresh lard that has some of the cracklin crumbs in it, those fluffy but creamy scrambled eggs that are an unreal almost orange color, some hits of a chile laden salsa, a couple of jalepenos en escabeche and the whole thing liberally sprinkled with the fresh white cheese. A couple of pieces of the local sausage won't hurt but the best thing about the buffet scene is that I can get as much of those beans as I want. :rolleyes:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

for me it was always bacon (except for those horrid vegetarian years) and still is. but since my move to philly i have been trying to make up lost time with scrapple

scrapple (1/2" slice floured, seared and baked)

2 poached eggs

bagel (spread w bacon fat and broiled)

sarraccha (sp?)

club soda

on my day off i like to substitute victory prim pils or pilsner urquel for the club soda. not because of some jones for booze but because it makes me feel like a bad kid and the pils tastes greatw the spicy sarraccha and the peppery scrapple.

also if i have people over i like to do a london broil (large group) or hanger steak (small) and the make a pan gravy with a little bacon fat roux

"i bet you smell like strawberry ice cream... the good kind" - e.dunn

Corned beef hash (the canned kind, almost burnt), with fried eggs and hash browns, NOT home fries. OR challah french toast with bananas and maple syrup.

Biscuits and Rich Man's Gravy - sausage milk gravy with big chunks of sausage. Even better, Jack McDavid's version of ham and red eye gravy. He mixes country ham and coffee into the milk gravy.

I ate this stuff for the first and last time on a trip to the South in '97. In atlanta we hit a place called the Silver Skillet every morning and i DIE thinking about the red eye gravy and the biscuits with sausage gravy....and the ham. we can't get ham like that in NY...oh it was so good.

and i'm anxiously awaiting my trip to New Orleans next month so i can once again gain a huge amount of weight spending ridiculous amounts of time at Cafe du Monde. yeah, that wins.

Genfo is probably my favorite breakfast and one that always reminds me of my childhood. It is barley or semolina flour cooked in water or milk. You serve it with niter kibe (spice clarified butter) and berbere. Tasty way to start the day!

Fried rice made from the previous nights leftover with eggs, garlic, fresh turmeric, and lots of fish sauce is also a breakfast staple.

Slices of polenta fried in butter until golden and they drizzled with maple syrup or sprinkled wit brown sugar...

And the Mexican buffets that fifi said above... even better if it's at a beach hotel and eaten overlooking the ocean.

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

My very extra special favorite is a breakfast taco from a certain place in Austin.

Since I only get those about twice a year now, my second-favorite is garlic-cheese grits. Sautee the garlic until it gets a little toasty and butter gets brown. Stir liberally into grits, along with a couple handsful of sharp cheddar. Top with tabasco. A biscuit or two would be nice on the side.

amanda

Googlista

Mudpuppie, wanna let us in on the name of the place - for research purposes only, you understand - we locals have begun a migas crawl and since I'm not the most eager migas eater, I'd try some breakfast tacos instead....