• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

favorite breakfast food

My preference is jook.

Until I find out what jook is I'll stay with grits, with butter, salt and pepper.

Dave Valentin

Retired Explosive Detection K9 Handler

"So, what if we've got it all backwards?" asks my son.

"Got what backwards?" I ask.

"What if chicken tastes like rattlesnake?" My son, the Einstein of the family.

From what I am looking at it looks like grits with rice instead of grits, with lots of possibilities.

Dave Valentin

Retired Explosive Detection K9 Handler

"So, what if we've got it all backwards?" asks my son.

"Got what backwards?" I ask.

"What if chicken tastes like rattlesnake?" My son, the Einstein of the family.

Would I be cheating if I said my favorite breakfast food is breakfast? I'm really not being a smartass, I am a farmkid, and breakfast was something special. So I love it all, but I guess real waffles, real butter, and syrup on the side.

My mother's family were Kentucky coal miners who moved to Northen Illinois.

Her step-father worked as a carpenter, so my grandmother fixed him a hearty traditional breakfast of eggs and bacon with biscuits and milk gravy (using the drippings.)

I couldn't eat a breakfast like that now, but still remember the smell and taste of it.

BB

Food is all about history and geography.

I know that this is a stereotype but I am English therefore I like:

fried eggs

fried toast

fried tomatoes

bacon (Irish or English, not American)

bangers (chipolatas)

black pudding

white pudding

mushrooms

baked beans

and to wash it all down, a nice cuppa w/ some toast and marmite.

Unfortunately, in America, some people consider this gluttony so I usually only eat this around family.

ok jook is congee, now someone tell me what congee is. i live in nj we eat eggs and pancakes for breakfast! anything fancier has to be explained:)

Congee is essentially rice porridge. The congee that I've eaten had bits of pork and green onion in it. Very yummy stuff.

Cathead biscuits are usually large drop biscuits. Are they as big as a cat's head? I guess it depends on the size of the cat.

Biscuits and Rich Man's Gravy - sausage milk gravy with big chunks of sausage. Even better, Jack McDavid's version of ham and red eye gravy. He mixes country ham and coffee into the milk gravy.

Huevos Rancheros con Chorizo.

Corned beef hash with poached eggs.

Rare prime rib topped with fried eggs.

Not necessarily all at one sitting.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Biscuits and Rich Man's Gravy - sausage milk gravy with big chunks of sausage. Even better, Jack McDavid's version of ham and red eye gravy. He mixes country ham and coffee into the milk gravy.

Huevos Rancheros con Chorizo.

Corned beef hash with poached eggs.

Rare prime rib topped with fried eggs.

Not necessarily all at one sitting.

As the lady at the next table in the deli in "When Harry Met Sally" said, I'll have what she's having!! Holly said it even better than I can!! :laugh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

'Round here we rarely have breakfast for breakfast. The kids have cereal & yogurt. I have coffee. Much coffee.

We do have Breakfast for Dinner on occassion. Now that's a treat. And a real bitch to clean up. Anyway: pancakes from Alton Brown's recipe (damn good), thick cut bacon cooked in the oven (another Alton trick), tater tots, French style scrambled eggs and biscuits with sawmill gravy. Mmmmmmmm.

I also love redeye gravy the way my grandfather used to make it, but I can't convince the family that coffee grounds and the grease from country ham is something to do the happy dance about.

Chad

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

How about a scallion pancake? It's like a loaf of pita bread except you've got scallions mixed into the loaf, and instead of baking it, you fry it in oil in a pan so that it's crispy on both sides. Very common in China.

That being said, my breakfast of choice is a nice thick slice of salt-cured country ham (so salty that you have to eat each bite with grits or it's inedible), with two eggs over easy, grits and/or hash browns, country biscuits with butter and Mt. Ranier Fireweed honey, juice, and a nice cup of strong, US Navy-style (brew with 2-3x grounds and a pinch of salt) coffee! Ooooo-rah!

Tragically I can't have this very often or my BP goes through the roof. :(

Be polite with dragons, for thou art crunchy and goeth down well with ketchup....