• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

beefy mary

ned

Anybody ever heard of a bloody mary garnished with meat products?

How about with a beef or pork demi-glace?

Burger?

A short rib on the rim?

An englishman has suggested to me some of these possibilities, indeed claims to have experienced a couple of them.

Seems too wonderful awful to be true.

Edited by ned (log)

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

Meats with a Bloody Mary?

I forgot and wish to add, while I never bothered to research the accuracy of this, but we used to serve a Bloody Mary "British style" as follows:

In a 14 ounce Hurricane glass:

Pour 1 1/4 ounces Vodka, fill with Dimitri's Bloody Mary Mix (a concentrate that was diluted with a big can of tomato juice), garnish a sprinkle of black pepper, one celery stick, one lime squeeze, one lemon squeeze, one piece of shrimp (usually skewered between the citrus on a cocktail sword) and served with a 2 ounce chaser pour of domestic draft in a house wine glass. Sundays were made for many of these. :raz:

Optional extra horseradish and Tabasco on the side, upon guest request.

Edited by beans (log)

And in this thread, finally I have my opportunity to mention one of the truly weird cocktail and general sipping ingredients. Meaty Mary? Well, I submit we must give Wincarnis its due. I have MY bottle. As much fun as it would be to provide its exposition, I'd rather simply imagine your reactions upon Googling it.

:rolleyes: --Doc.

Ahh yes, the Twisted Spoke! Also the home of 'Smut N Eggs'!

Sounds like My Kind of Bar.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

And in this thread, finally I have my opportunity to mention one of the truly weird cocktail and general sipping ingredients. Meaty Mary? Well, I submit we must give Wincarnis its due. I have MY bottle. As much fun as it would be to provide its exposition, I'd rather simply imagine your reactions upon Googling it.

:rolleyes: --Doc.

Yep, weird. Malted milk and White Castle burgers? Gotta love those British tonics.

And I should say that trying to view the Russian language site caused my computer to crash (a lot of things cause my poor computer to crash), but I'm not holding you responsible for that.