• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Le Paradou with Yannick Cam

Does clever or witty food have the opposite effect of distancing the diner?

I don't think so. Some of the more soulful meals I've had have included ones at Per Se and Citronelle, both of which included a number of clever takes on dishes. But my meal at French Laundry did leave me a little cold. It doesn't just happen at the high or low end, but you can feel it.

Bill Russell

Can you, er, comment on this in more detail? What do you mean?

I was thinking of people you run into in clubs sometimes who seem far more interested in proving how well they can dance, than dancing with their partner -- the whole "ain't I cool?" thing -- or those ballroom dancing contests where everybody moves so fluidly and precisely, but no one seems to be having fun -- it's like a mathematical equation on legs.

Not, mind you, that you can't be both.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

So, then, it's the difference between technical proficiency and real intimacy?  Certainly, we all appreciate our grandmother's food - soup she's spent an hour stiring and seventy-six years making.  Soul food, blah blah blah.  Absent history and personal relationships, what makes the food itself soulful?  Enthusiasm or superior creativity on the part of the chef?  Pride in what he's doing?  Does clever or witty food have the opposite effect of distancing the diner?

Having the diner's delight with the entire dining experience -- rather than your ego, profit, or busy schedule -- as your first priority helps. As does creating a welcoming atmosphere at every step. The way you feel about the room you're sitting in affects the experience as well.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

• 10 months later...

In my Shakespeare Theatre subsciption packet:

Introducing the new fall/winter "Pre-Theatre" 3-course prix-fixe menu for $45.00 (excluding tax and gratuity).  Sample items include signature dishes such as the Lobster Purse with Carrot Jus and Ginger and the decadent Chocolate Saveur with Thyme Sauce and Hazelnut-Citron Confit Ice Cream.

Le Paradou is located just two blocks from the Shakespeare Theatre Company.  Valet parking is available for diners for just $5.00, and you may collect your vehicle after the show.

Available Monday-Saturday, and our subscription is on Sunday afternoon. :sad:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme