• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Portland ME Restaurants

skeeter

The Salt Institute for Documentary Studies at 110 Exchange Street will be vacating the premesis soon and be replaced by a food-related enterprise.  All I can say at this point is that funding has been realized and a lease has been signed.

All those lovely windows...

Aww johnnyd, you are such a tease! Nothing else you can reveal? Anyone we would know or are familiar with behind this new enterprise?

Yup!

Nope!

Maybe... But I will seek permission and post as soon as I can even if it gets out before then. I still don't know whether it's service, retail or something else.

According to sources close to the new tenant, this space will become a restaurant.

The prospective tenant (actually the building's new owner) has abandoned their plan for the first floor restaurant, and has leased it to another party who is also planning a restaurant. Check back in six months for the next update. :hmmm:

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

The Salt Institute for Documentary Studies at 110 Exchange Street will be vacating the premesis soon and be replaced by a food-related enterprise.  All I can say at this point is that funding has been realized and a lease has been signed.

All those lovely windows...

Aww johnnyd, you are such a tease! Nothing else you can reveal? Anyone we would know or are familiar with behind this new enterprise?

Yup!

Nope!

Maybe... But I will seek permission and post as soon as I can even if it gets out before then. I still don't know whether it's service, retail or something else.

According to sources close to the new tenant, this space will become a restaurant.

The prospective tenant (actually the building's new owner) has abandoned their plan for the first floor restaurant, and has leased it to another party who is also planning a restaurant. Check back in six months for the next update. :hmmm:

Thanks for thinking of us with the update! There are so many new ventures to look forward to. I'm excited to check out each and every one of them!

• 2 weeks later...

quick question...may be going to portland in june. went to hugo's last year, had the tasting menu, thought it was amazing. but now i see the restaurant is closed for a month, and see that they're going to have a new menu (and "new concept" as mentioned above). can anyone give more information on this?

i loved chef evans' cooking and selection, but hope he doesn't change things up too much.

thanks for any information / help...

bobg01, this from esme, who does a little work for Rob:

Hugo's will still be offering the tasting menu and chef's menu after the concept change.
I wouldn't worry too much. I don't see Mr. Evans subtracting - just adding. Watch this space for updates before you travel.

See you in June.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

Portland Food Map.com

Chris Godin, proprietor of record at Granny's Burritos, is partnering with Johnny St.Laurent of Uncle Billy's BBQ at 685 Congress St.

Granny's, who originated as a literal hole in the wall inside the entrance of Granny Killams (now the Big Easy, 164 Middle St) back in 1994, and went on to establish the famous burrito shop at 420 Fore St for 13 years, will serve it's burritos and quesadillas in the space now occupied by Uncle Billy's Resto-Bar.

Johnny will still do BBQ catering, and might answer to his fans with a dish or two held over from his menu, but Chris and the gang will re-open the shop on the Cong after a little re-arranging inside.

Portland Food Map.com

There goes the neighborhood! :biggrin:

Rob Evans, chef and co-owner of Hugo`s on Middle Street, hosted a television crew from The Oprah Winfrey Show on Thursday. The crew was in town to film Evans preparing a tuna melt that he made for an Esquire magazine article on classic American sandwiches.

Evans` high-end version of the sandwich is made with imported Italian tuna packed in virgin olive oil, Gruyère cheese and charred rosemary mayonnaise. The show will air sometime in May.

Portland Food Map.com

just a follow-up to my post above; got a message back from hugo's, in which they stated that the tasting menus / chef's menus will still be offered, but they'll be offering dishes during the evening from those menus, rather than their former 4 course / 8 course / 10+ course menus.

now i've just got to call back and make my reservations.

and, johnny, those pix of your japanese evening looked amazing; kudos to all who were involved with making them. and i'm no fan of food p*rn...

Fat Baxters East End Market at 88 Congress St, has been purchased by the folks at Rosemont Market and Bakery, Brighton Ave - who are famous not only for their fine deli and provisions but for giving birth to the legendary Portland Green Grocer back when you could actually have a food market on Commercial Street. I have to call John and see what he and Scott have planned for the space.

Tonight is John Myers (eG member fatdeko) last night at Local 188. The notorious barkeep moves back into the Old Port by joining Chef Harding Lee Smith at Grill Room - the space formerly burdened by Natasha's at 82 Exchange St - sometime in early May

Edited by johnnyd (log)

Portland Food Map.com

I have to call John and see what he and Scott have planned for the space.

How exciting for them! If you talk to them, please please put in a plug for something on the other side of the bridge -- Mill Creek or Willard Sq area?!! :biggrin:

Tonight is John Myers (eG member fatdeko) last night at Local 188

Mr. Myers at The Grill Room, now that is good news indeed. Of course he will be missed at Local 188 but this certainly sounds like a great opportunity.

Lighthouse Deli has reopened at Ocean and Sawyer in South Portland. I believe its under the ownership of the Vaughn St Variety folks (near Maine Med). It's pretty sparse and appears to be a work in progress, but its nice to see some life on that corner. That was one of my go-to places for sandwiches when heading to the beach.

As an aside, we enjoyed a wonderful meal at Evangeline last Friday. They did such a great job with the space. Its warm and inviting, pairing perfectly with the delicious food. I look forward to returning soon!

Lighthouse Deli has reopened at Ocean and Sawyer in South Portland.  I believe its under the ownership of the Vaughn St Variety folks (near Maine Med).  It's pretty sparse and appears to be a work in progress, but its nice to see some life on that corner.  That was one of my go-to places for sandwiches when heading to the beach.

As an aside, we enjoyed a wonderful meal at Evangeline last Friday.  They did such a great job with the space.  Its warm and inviting, pairing perfectly with the delicious food.  I look forward to returning soon!

Oh, good. The Vaughn Street crew seem able enough to make the Lighthouse work. I had a horrific sandwich there just before they closed.

Here is local blogger "Type A Diversions" visit to Evangeline where she gives a Type A review of their first night. w/pics.

Portland Food Map.com

New Hampshire duo, Justin Rosberg and Jason Parent, owners of The Meat House with locations in York, ME and six others in NH, will open in Mill Creek Plaza, right over the bridge in South Portland.

From their website:

In addition to offering our customers a wide selection of premium meats, poultry, veal, pork , exotic meats and Boar's Head Deli products, all of our butcher shop locations carry more than 200 varieties of wines from around the world, fine cheeses, fresh produce, breads, side dishes, desserts, pastries, and other gourmet grocery items

The space recently vacated by a Curves franchise is about 2000 sq/ft and is completely empty right now. The Dover shop tells me that location and one in Scarborough will be opening simultaneously on July 4th 2008.

------------

edit to add: I realized this post has nothing to do with Portland Restaurants so I created this topic for Portland area food sourcing.

Edited by johnnyd (log)

Portland Food Map.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Grill Room & Bar, 84 Exchange Street, opens this Friday, May 23rd at 5pm. Barkeep John Myers told me he and chef/owner Harding Lee Smith shared an admiration for Boston's Eastern Standard and so kept it in mind for Grill Room's bar plan and inventory. Space is at a premium, but count on these talented guys for a smooth operation.

As for the comprehensive menu, check out the Entrees section:

Entrees

Ny Sirloin - pepper crusted with potatoes aligot and spicy broccoli 27

Grilled Ribeye - fries and bernaise 27

Braised Shortrib - mashed, roasted cabbage and horseradish cream 19

Grilled Hanger Steak - chorizo, chimichuri sauce, white beans & spinach 18

Grilled Tuna Steak "Nicoise" - grilled potatoes, slow cooked green beans, sauce gribiche and black olive tapenade 23

Blackened Swordfish - cucumber relish, red rice and butter sauce 22

Seared Scallops - angel hair pasta, tomato & basil 19

Duck & Fettucini - walnuts, duck, blue cheese and roasted peppers 19

Roasted Duck Breast - truffled mashed potatoes, chard and red wine sauce 22

Also served: copious appetizers, wood-fired pizza, wood-grilled meat and fish with mix and match veg, starch and sauce options. It all looks quite delicious. See their complete Dinner Menu here.

Edited by johnnyd (log)

Portland Food Map.com

Steve Corry & 555 get a nice 2-page writeup in this month's Continental (the airline's in-flight mag).

Hey wow there's an online version! :smile:

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Evangeline on Longfellow Square was written up in the Boston Globe the other day,

Evangeline the restaurant faces the street with tall windows and a gold leaf stencil of a pig. Here chicken is the other white meat. Inside the style nods to French bistros and brasseries but doesn't exactly re-create their glamorous shabbiness. Desjarlais cleaned up and watered down the familiar look with a red poured-concrete bar, beat up oak floors, tiny black and white tiles, and Belle Epoque style bistro posters painted by his friend Stephen Backus.

The food is what Desjarlais calls "rock and roll French." "Backward thinking old techniques with enlightened service - good quality but slightly off center," he says. The service tries for the same sensibility. Sean McClure, a former line cook at Radius, carves fish tableside, and with a pair of forks opens the steamy parcels of wild salmon en papillote. Desjarlais is looking for a good source for pig bladders in which to roast chickens and then pass them off to McClure to open and carve in front of diners.

I've been bringing Erik some sorrel and horseradish greens from my garden a couple days a week. Last week, the ever-changing menu featured "Tartlette JohnnyD" with sorrel and horseradish greens in a tiny tart pastry shell. :cool:

Portland Food Map.com

• 5 weeks later...

The Grill Room & Bar was hoppng tonigt.

We had,

Stuffed Mushrooms - duck and blue cheese roasted mushrooms 9

Tartar - beef with all the fixings 12

Fried Oysters - warm bacon, apple, spinach, tabasco-honey vinaigrette & hollandaise 10

Crispy Sweetbreads - capers, lemon & butter 8

Roasted Marrow Bones - parsley salad, grilled bread 8

A selection of beers, wine, tequila and champagne.

Great space here.

:cool:

Portland Food Map.com

Ah, Hello Portland, egulleteers...it has been some time since I've posted, but I simply find that I must:

For on Thursday night, my wife and I and two other couples made our first visit to Evangeline.

Ummmm. WOW!

We had a raucous and deliciously good time, thanks to the wonderful food and a couple stellar wines delivered by Joe, I think it is, whose hands we left it in to choose for the table. Two bottles of Burgundy (I WISH I could remember what it was) and one bottle of Spann Mo Mo. Only one of our party was drinking the Spann and was suspiciously quiet about it for some time, until someone snagged a sip and soon was pouring a taste for everyone while my friend complained that we were all drinking "his" wine.

I was going to order the Cervelles de veau, but finally settled on duck foie (since I'm a foie maniac) served in a small Mason-type canning jar with toast points and pickled veggies. Very tasty, but the serving size was absolutely huge. I think I may have had a little more than a third of the foie. When I jokingly asked if it was served in the jar so I could take it home, our server said no, but she'd gladly pack it.

For my entree, my wife and I split the poussin. Peas on one side, carrots on the other with a mustard sauce. Simple (but also not so simple, if you know what I mean) and perfectly cooked. Strangely, because it is not my habit, I was so involved in my dish, that I didn't shamelessly beg for tastes of other people's dishes, though the friend across from me had a near "Harry Met Sally" moment when she had her first bite of the duck and I was able to snag a couple of oysters on thing slice of cucumber from my neighbor's Skate dish.

I think next time we go, I'll need to call ahead to get the folks to employ the prominently displayed duck press.

For dessert, I had the strawberries and rhubarb. Crunchy. Creamy. Sweet and just a little tart. While I like my desserts I little less sweet, I know I'm not in the mainstream around here. Trust me, this is the tiniest of a complaint and based more on my preference than any flaw in the preparation. This had fantastic rhubarb flavor and made me miss the big rhubarb patch my parents had in the garden when I was growing up. Another at my table who also had this dessert, said that when he was a kid, they would take raw rhubarb, peel it and eat it after dipping it in a bowl of sugar.

But I digress. Evangeline, is a very, very welcome new restaurant on the Portland scene. Congratulations to Chef Erik, his crew and everyone else who is involved.

I can't wait to go back.

Chris

"Democracy is that system of government under which the people…pick out a Coolidge to be head of the State. It is as if a hungry man, set before a banquet prepared by master cooks and covering a table an acre in area, should turn his back upon the feast and stay his stomach by catching and eating flies." H. L. Mencken

• 2 weeks later...
We'll be arriving in Portland around noon next Saturday en route to South Bristol.  Thinking of lunch at several places - Duck Fat, Blue Spoon, Vignola. 

First off, thanks for this and the other great Portland topic. From all, I put together a list including: The Front Room, Hugo's, Duckfat, Street & Co, 555 + Cinque Terre.

I have a remarkably similar question to MMerrill's but with some added parameters: We will be coming in August for a Saturday sit-down lunch with wine and good grub, setting and location immaterial (in Paris those are oxymoronic). While we arrive close to noon, we do not need to leave Portland quickly. We will be between lots of French food at the source and lots of clams, lobstah and beer at their source (for a week), thus we need neither emphasized. And we will be three (haruumpf) mature adults who haven't talked in person since one of our spouses died, thus we'd like a place quiet enough to talk. A big order but we appreciate and count on the kindness of strangers and I'd be delighted to reciprocate anytime anyone visits Paris.

Thanks.

Same time, same question, the next year. SATURDAY LUNCH AUGUST

I need a quiet, sitdown table-cloth place for 3 geezers - (Walter's was fine last year, easily repeated if it's still open Saturday lunch).

Then anything with good innovative food for 2 geezers (again Fat Duck was terrific as well, so certainly could repeat).

I've read this topic and if Evangeline were open then, I'd certainly try it, but....

All recommendations welcomed.

Thanks in advance,

John

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

gallery_28660_4947_29042.jpg

Josh Potocki of 158 Pickett St Cafe just got a big bag of black trumpet chanterelles from an old Mainer who hunts them down in local forests.

He made me a "Forager": lightly sauteed black chanties and chives atop a plain toasted bagel with cream cheese.

It's not on the menu board so you'll have to ask for it.

gallery_28660_4947_2862.jpg

Better hurry! :raz:

Portland Food Map.com

Josh Potocki of 158 Pickett St Cafe just got a big bag of black trumpet chanterelles from an old Mainer who hunts them down in local forests.

He made me a "Forager": lightly sauteed black chanties and chives atop a plain toasted bagel with cream cheese.

It's not on the menu board so you'll have to ask for it.

Better hurry!  :raz:

(1) Does he do anything with them that doesn't involve a damn bagel? :raz:

(2) Does "hurry" encompass the same sort of time frame in Maine that it does in, say, Missouri? If not, never mind the answer to (1) , since I'm sunk anyway.

Edited by ghostrider (log)

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

Josh is crazy. He does magical things sometimes like deer-heart reubens and june bugs 3-ways. I visited 158 pickett today and he was totally out of black trumpets.

There were plenty of bagels, however.

Portland Food Map.com

There were plenty of bagels, however.

As there should be. Who eats those things anyway.

Sorry to hear that I'll be a month or so late for the black trumpets. I'd have licked the good stuff off a bagel & then tossed it for a taste of that.

Edited by ghostrider (log)