• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Portland ME Restaurants

skeeter

The popular but unremarkable Cap'n Newicks in South Portland, is closing, along with their Merrimak, NH location.

I wonder if that Newick's space will even remain a restaurant. I hope so!

Speaking of SoPo, there are a couple of other new things going on. fresh! has opened in Mill Creek. www.wonderfullyfresh.com

Also, Culinary Collections next to Smaha's is getting rid of the kitchenwares and opening a little cafe in the back of the store. They will be serving house-baked good, CBD coffee, lunches and dinners to go. They will also continue wine sales. The owners are very nice, I wish them well.

• 2 weeks later...

Newicks decided to close early, Sunday May 6th.

Chicky's Fine Diner in Westbrook has also closed it's doors. See this post in Maine Diners thread. :sad:

Finally made it out the The Cheese Iron in Scarborough. That is a terrific shop with things you can't get elsewhere. I met Vince the owner and his themes are rock solid. Prices are reasonable too. He's a pleasure to be around - he has me pining for an olivewood cheese knife.

Edited by johnnyd (log)

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Newicks decided to close early, Sunday May 6th.

Chicky's Fine Diner in Westbrook has also closed it's doors.  See this post in Maine Diners thread.  :sad:

Finally made it out the The Cheese Iron in Scarborough.  That is a terrific shop with things you can't get elsewhere.  I met Vince the owner and his themes are rock solid.  Prices are reasonable too.  He's a pleasure to be around - he has me pining for an olivewood cheese knife.

Gladly agree here, got some imported Muenster.

What a delight.

Gave Vince a copy of 'Food Arts' , he'll subscribe

The Cheese Iron needs to be promoted here and possibly other sites, as Maine has many seasonal visitors who may be "houskeeping" while vacationing.

Sure got my vote

And the 7o mile travel for me are worth it anytime.

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

I've developed the habit of checking Portland's premier fish purveyor, Harbor Fish Market every morning after dropping off Mrs. johnnyd at her workplace. I don't usually buy, but I've missed some treats that sell out fast so I've resolved to check things out early just in case.

Today, the place is stocked for Memorial Day Weekend, including:

- Soft Shell Crabs, all with a healthy wiggle - Primes@$3.50, Whales@$4.59

- Glidden Point Damariscotta Oysters - on special @$1.10 each (that is a good price)

- Shad Roe @$9.50/pair

- Sushi Grade Tuna @$20.99/lb

- Atlantic Salmon special - $7.99/lb (I bought a half pound tail fillet)

- Western King Salmon (amazing color) @$17.99/lb

- SoftShell Clams @$3?/lb and $2.59 if 5 pounds or more

plus the usual glistening array of Haddock, Monkfish, Halibut, Sword, WolfFish, Squid, Snapper, Shrimp (frozen:hmmm:), hardshell clams and crab.

I never noticed the lobster prices...

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

Portland Food Map.com

Thanks for the news, Johnny D. I drove up to Glidden Point Farm last weekend and picked up a few dozen oysters ($14/dozen) from their self-service kiosk. Tasty critters! I love their motto - "you don't make friends with salad" (but the person who brought the salad to the ensuing potluck was a bit put out).

Thanks for the news, Johnny D.  I drove up to Glidden Point Farm last weekend and picked up a few dozen oysters ($14/dozen) from their self-service kiosk.  Tasty critters!  I love their motto - "you don't make friends with salad" (but the person who brought the salad to the ensuing potluck was a bit put out).

Well, that's quirky for ya - nice, nutty website too. So do I become friends with my oyster before I apply a little mignonette and pop it down the hatch?? :raz: Should I scorn the green leaves of my side dish???

By the by, today's oyster special beats their retail/dozen by eighty cents. I checked the red tide closure areas today and saw a problem down Kittery-way, but the Damariscotta River is all set. I'm going to have to go back and get a few I guess! :smile:

Portland Food Map.com

• 2 weeks later...

We'll be arriving in Portland around noon next Saturday en route to South Bristol. Thinking of lunch at several places - Duck Fat, Blue Spoon, Vignola. Any recommendations or suggestions?

We'll be arriving in Portland around noon next Saturday en route to South Bristol.  Thinking of lunch at several places - Duck Fat, Blue Spoon, Vignola.  Any recommendations or suggestions?

(Oops! Forgot to put Portland in the title.)

If you're just passing through and need some memorable fortification, than by all means, go to DuckFat. I live nearby and have to walk passed it almost every day and I wish I was from away simply so that I would value it more.

Moreover, if you are just passing through, DuckFat is situated at a unique hub: across the street is an amazing new bookstore called Rabelaiswith foodie literature from the 18th century clear up to the present, while in the opposite direction, a block away, you'll find Miccuci's Italian grocery. Great things are to be found there, and it's a great spot for 'provisioning'.

Here's my strategy for a hit-and-run lunch:

Park near Duckfat.

Go to Rabelais and take your time finding a couple of books to read.

Order lunch at Duckfat.

While you're waiting for your pannini's, go to Miccuci's and provision--get some bread, salumi, wine etc.

Eat at DuckFat. Half way through your meal, ask for the truffle ketchup that you meant to order in the first place.

Go back to Rabelais and buy that book you were on the fence about, now that you realize you need it.

Go back to Miccuci's --you had a great idea while eating at DuckFat, and besides, you'll need some more of that wine after all. Fill your nostrils with more of those pungent aromas and wonder if you can bottle it.

Drive to Bristol, all the while wondering why you only allowed yourself time for lunch in Portland.

myers

Edited by fatdeko (log)

Drive to Bristol, all the while wondering why you only allowed yourself time for lunch in Portland.
That's an award-winning post, John. It's true: there's much in Portland to investigate - which is why on your way back, plan some more time in town! :biggrin:

My cozy spot at the moment is Bar of Chocolate at 38 Wharf Street in the Old Port. Sarah the proprietor has been working around town (Gritty's, Brian Boru) for years while developing her chocolate-making strategy. She opened the little place under The Wine Bar last year and offers Tapas, cuban sandwiches and other light fare, handmade desserts, and a sophisticated (copper-topped) bar. Good music too.

Portland Food Map.com

Great suggestions! I just read about Miccuci's on some web site and thought we should seek it out. How convenient, and a great book store too. When I research eating opportunities in Portland I always find too many places that look interesting, and we're never here for the great restaurants that are only open for dinner. Y'all are right; need to schedule more time for Portland.

And thanks for fixing my title. :smile:

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone heard anything about the Spanish restaurant "la Familia" on Brighton Ave??

I'm definitely up for investigating this. Z, can you narrow down where on Brighton this could be? I've found no info on it so far.

Portland Food Map.com

Back in D.C. after TWO nice lunches in Portland! Last Saturday we followed fatdeko's advice and headed straight to Duck Fat. We each had different pannini which were excellent - nice bread, tasty ingredients. Also had a large order of fries which are truly amazing and the truffle ketchup a special treat. Didn't have time for Rabelais this trip, but did stop in Miccuci's which is a great discovery, and picked up some provisions for the next several days in South Bristol.

On our way back to the airport Wednesday, we made a stop at the Blue Spoon for a late lunch and were well rewarded. We both had one of the very best fish chowders ever - creamy (not leaden), good ratio of potatoes to fish, lovely seasoning, just delicious. I followed with the house salad which is a wonderful mix of lettuces accented with goat cheese, thin slices of green apple and perfectly toasted almonds. Very nice. My husband had the burger with caramelized onions and crispy potato wedges. He polished them off with relish. We're looking forward to our next trip through Portland in July and more eating choices to make!

I'm glad you guys enjoyed yourselves on this trip. I hadn't noticed until now that you're DC'ers. After 10 years in the District, I happily exiled myself to Portland 5 years ago.

Go figure.

Keep us posted as to your schedule in July and we'll do what we can to steer you straight.

myers

• 2 weeks later...
The Cheese Iron at #200, Rte 1, Scarborough is one of ten retailers in the USA carrying a classic English blue cheese from unpasteurised milk, called "Stitchelton". Vincent, the owner, gave me a slice the other day and it's complexity is nothing like I've had before. Stayed with me for a while after. No idea of the price. Stop in and check out the goods.

Portland Food Map.com

Has anyone heard anything about the Spanish restaurant "la Familia" on Brighton Ave??

I'm definitely up for investigating this. Z, can you narrow down where on Brighton this could be? I've found no info on it so far.

Finally found some info on La Familia. "Cuban pork, sandwiches and other Spanish-style cuisine are planned." Sounds good to me! Opening June 30th.

http://portlandpsst.blogspot.com/2007/06/plywood-report.html

Speaking of pork, the roasted pork they bring up from Chinatown every Sunday at Hong Kong Market is so very tasty! Naughty, but good!

Speaking of pork, the roasted pork they bring up from Chinatown every Sunday at Hong Kong Market is so very tasty! Naughty, but good!
I have seen these many times and I think your post has me turning the corner. Apparently they marinate for a couple days before slow-cooking. I'll take a picture when I buy 'em too. :raz:

La Familia, is at 906 Brighton Avenue. Ellie, what about this sushi place Miyake, the psst! people speak of? There is no other info about it, webwise.

Portland Food Map.com

La Familia, is at 906 Brighton Avenue.  Ellie, what about this sushi place Miyake, the psst! people speak of? There is no other info about it, webwise.

Just found this comment about Miyake,

http://portlandpsst.blogspot.com/2007/06/miyake.html

On a side note, I sure am happy to see Stephen Lanzalotta's (Sophia's) breads and pastries at Miccuci's! He also has single serving prepared foods in the refrigerator that look quite good. I tried the Italian Eggs -- broad beans, tomato sauce, and egg, layered and baked. $3, good portion, it was very good!

Edited by Ellie (log)

#1 Union Wharf is smack-dab in the middle of Commercial St, right at the beginning of Union Wharf, in the Old Port district. For years it was home to the Union Wharf Market and a real estate office upstairs. The market finally closed and Black Tie Market & Bistro has moved in.

Famous for their little Middle Street location (#188), they now have twice the space, lots more reach-in cooler space and a few tables to hang out at. The space has been transformed from an aluminum & chrome, vinyl VCT flooring style, to lots of wood.

Regular fare includes 7 Panini (one is Black Forest Ham w/Provelone, Plum toms and Cilantro Pesto) and 7 wraps (Nicoise has Tuna w/choke hearts, capers, mesclun and red pepper mayo). Take-out salad options are numerous and cost about $2/lb. Apricot, almond, rosemary chicken salad sounds good to me. Gazpacho is among soups. Entrees and desserts available. There is a small produce section and plenty of good wine and beers.

The point of all this is that I believe Black Tie Bistro has successfully filled the void that Portland Greengrocer left when they moved off of Commercial Street a year or so ago (and became Rosemont Grocery on Brighton Ave). They may not have so vast a selection of oils, vinegars, legumes and herbs, but we were all imagining a while back what to do about the Greengrocers' absence and it's implications and I think it was Ellie that mentioned this location as a perfect solution.

Check it out when your in the Old Port. Parking is right on the side.

Portland Food Map.com

Thanks to the Host with the most for a timely post! :biggrin:

That may be just what we need for lunch when we blow through Porrtland in a few weeks.

Is it insane to try to drive in that area on a July Saturday afternoon though?

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Thanks to the Host with the most for a timely post!  :biggrin:

That may be just what we need for lunch when we blow through Porrtland in a few weeks.

Actually, Commercial Street moves along fine in spite of tourist traffic. That middle lane takes care of turns, parking-spot hounds and delivery vehicles. The fare at Black Tie is worth any inconvenience. The fact they actually have parking beats out Portland Greengrocer in my book.

Portland Food Map.com

Thanks to the Host with the most for a timely post!   :biggrin:

Actually, Commercial Street moves along fine in spite of tourist traffic. That middle lane takes care of turns, parking-spot hounds and delivery vehicles. The fare at Black Tie is worth any inconvenience. The fact they actually have parking beats out Portland Greengrocer in my book.

Thanks again!

Are you saying that they have their own lot? If so, yes, big plus. I was thinking you meant that there was one of those big tourist-oriented lots next door or something.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Black Tie Bistro has six dedicated spots right up against their brick building. Headed away from the SoPo bridge on Commercial St, you take a right at the stop light onto Union Wharf - park immediately - can't miss their sign. Their neighbor is Sapporo Sushi by the way, who do a brisk take-out biz themselves. This is Portland's oldest sushi bar - 23 years now. Say hi to Yoshi the owner if you stop in.

Incidently, there is a big parking lot behind their buildings which usually has an attendent charging $5. If you show your Sapporo receipt you get your $5 back. Sometimes it's unattended and you can park in there without a problem.

Portland Food Map.com

"Portland's Restaurant & Bar" at 100 Commercial Street, formerly "Oolong", shut it's doors last week. That means the legendary mixologist, and eG member fatdeko is actually available for hire. Founder and Chief Curator of the Casco Bay Institute for Applied Intoxicological Studies, John made 100 Commercial Street a destination among serious cocktail aficionados.

100 Commercial is a vast, attractive space right next to the best fish purveyor in Portland. This space, on the waterfront side of the Old Port, should be packed full time. According to John, a couple people have toured the site already, so something could open soon.

Portland Food Map.com