• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Portland ME Restaurants

skeeter

Have you tried Arrows or the White Barn Inn they are both south of Portland but worth the trip.Arrows is seasonal and I'm not sure when they open. Soon I would think. I also would give Fore st. another shot, We really enjoy it there.

"What some call health, if purchased by perpetual anxiety about diet, isn't much better than tedious disease"

George Dennison Prentice

My recommendations:

Hugo's if you haven't been since it changed owners a while back

http://www.hugos.net/

Five Fifty-Five (at 555 Congress St.)

Cafe Uffa might also be of interest

http://www.uffarestaurant.com/

And while it may have suffered toward the end of the last owner's tenure, the Back Bay Grill seems to have been rejuvenated somewhat, though I admit it has been a good nine months since my last visit.

http://www.backbaygrill.com

If you only have one night, go to Hugo's

"Democracy is that system of government under which the people…pick out a Coolidge to be head of the State. It is as if a hungry man, set before a banquet prepared by master cooks and covering a table an acre in area, should turn his back upon the feast and stay his stomach by catching and eating flies." H. L. Mencken

Hugo's looks like a possibility. Thanks for the recommendation. Arrows I've read about and the same with the White Barn Inn... What was disappointing about Fore St.? After 3 attempts... the bar tender first off leaves a bad taste and a difficult entry into the place. Once after I'd announced to Nancy that I'd never go back... I did because I was stuck in Portland and nothing else looked very good, (around the exchange st. area)... I went to art school there in the early eighties... pretty much everything is different. So I went to the Fore St. and was rushed through my cocktail into my dinner of wood roasted mussels which for the last time I will eat there, I think, was very good...but the bar tender there is too much. Another time when I came for a dinner in the big room I felt the service was off and the cooking was left to kids and the actual chef was not present. Simply put, I have not yet had a good experience at Fore St. I may yet try it again because I like to check things like that out. Has anyone tried Bandol on Exchange St.?

I just went to a brand new restaurant on Commercial St.- opened at the end of February, I believe- called Mim's Brasserie. They take a kind of French bistro approach- emphasizing braised meats and offering each main dish and side dish seperately so that, with a group of people, you can try a whole variety of dishes. (Our group took advantage of this and tried nearly every vegetable side dish they had on the menu- from jerusalem artichokes to roasted brussel sprouts; all were excellent.) Mim's, like Fore St. and Primo, puts an emphasis on locally-produced meats and cheeses, which is something I always appreciate. Oh, and the hazelnut brownie I had for dessert was absolutely luxurious- so fudgey it was almost gooey in the center and served with homemade hazelnut ice cream...

Primo still takes the cake, in my opinion. But, if in Portland, I'd give Mim's a try. Five-Fifty-Five is also good. If going there, I'd try to get an upstairs table.

Have you checked out Mesa Verde -504 Congress St? They offer a nice selection of mexican specialties and the food is very fresh and reasonably priced. This is a great place to bring a vegetarian too- all of the dishes can be ordered with grilled tofu instead of steak or chicken.

Melissa

Skeeter et al,

I can't resist a gentle plug for Chef Tak's "YOSAKU", his new japanese eatery where "Giobbi's" used to be (the bottom of Danforth St.). He used to be BenKay's star and before that, a Tuna-buyer on yon waterfront. He knows his fish. He started out stellar and has stumbled here and there but whenever I have his Toro I feel positively stoned. May he and his crew live long and prosper.

A recent (mixed) review here: http://www.foodinportland.com

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Another vote for Hugo's here--can't beat it. And I think they are still running the midweek special: 3 courses (app/entree/dessert) for $30, which is a screaming deal. The tasting menu is fantastic, but more a special-occasion thing, for me anyway; but the bar menu is also available for people without the time or $ or appetite for the full deal.

The last time I tried to go to the Saltwater Grille, in South Portland, it was closed--for the season, maybe? Good place.

I recently posted a note about the Dogfish Cafe--relatively new place just off Congress, very good food, but make sure you go on a night they are offering specials (menu is limited otherwise).

Also really like Pat's, on Forest, above the butcher shop. Sort of a Chez Panisse feel, both food & atmosphere.

Happy eating!

agnolottigirl

~~~~~~~~~~~

"They eat the dainty food of famous chefs with the same pleasure with which they devour gross peasant dishes, mostly composed of garlic and tomatoes, or fisherman's octopus and shrimps, fried in heavily scented olive oil on a little deserted beach."-- Luigi Barzini, The Italians

Hey I saw your Dogfish post and had no idea it was worth a visit. Many Thanks, I'll try it, in spite of the crappy location.

I can see Saltwater Grille out my window (and the fabulous Portland Harbor). They were open this winter but not at all times. I heard thru the vine that somebody quit in a huff around Xmas(?). Went there a month ago and it was way off the mark from opening month. I still miss the Moules Portugaise from a prior incarnation: Bay Harbor.

Pat's is on Stevens Ave, not Forest.

Let's Eat! :smile:

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

Portland Food Map.com

Ooh, thanks for the correction re Pat's address, johnnyd. . . like it's not hard enough to find already!! :wink: I'd say Dogfish is a little light in the ambiance department (the lovely view of the Greyhound station and all that), but the food was very good.

agnolottigirl

~~~~~~~~~~~

"They eat the dainty food of famous chefs with the same pleasure with which they devour gross peasant dishes, mostly composed of garlic and tomatoes, or fisherman's octopus and shrimps, fried in heavily scented olive oil on a little deserted beach."-- Luigi Barzini, The Italians

Where in South Portland is the Saltwater Grille? And what's the price range?

Also can anybody recommend a really good Italian restaurant here in Portland? A place with something creative and (dare I say it) kind of authentic going on?

Ella,

Saltwater Grille is adjacent to the Sunset Marina directly opposite the Maine State Pier on the harbour. It's tricky to get to once you cross the bridge and get to Ferry Village. A water taxi from the Casco Bay Ferry Terminal is easier. See specifics including last year's menu/prices at http://www.saltwatergrille.com

I once ordered a scallop/risotto type dish there that was an unappetizing mess. And they had a "salmon burger" special the other day at lunch... sorry, I'm not a fan.

As for Italian, you should do very well at "Cinque Terre" tucked into Wharf Street whose old cobblestones are currently being used for a Miramax backdrop. Note this from a review at http://www.foodinportland.com :

I must admit, I enjoyed the food at Portland's Cinque Terre even more than anything we had in the real Cinque Terre. They have managed to grasp the feeling of true Italian dining, something which was quite a shock at first to all of us from two-course America.

...okay, I thought, but why did my waiter scoff when I asked for a little fruit and cheese plate to wash the rest of the very expensive wine down with? I got a handfull of berry garnish I had seen elsewhere that night with a shaving of parm for 7 bucks. C'mon!

Portland Food Map.com

Skeeter et al

I've made a res at Fore Street for this weekend. I'm curious about the bartender so I plan to have fun with him based on your post! Review to follow... :rolleyes:

Portland Food Map.com

OK! Let's Eat...

We were a four-top, sat on time by the window overlooking the Pier which was cool. The place was mobbed. As you know the open kitchen plan is an appealing feature, but I can still smell the smoke on my clothes a day later. Never got a chance to interact w/bartender but when I went out for a smoke between courses I peeked through the window and saw a fully occupied bar, mostly couples, looking happy and well attended by a tall, shiny-pated dude with a winning smile. Same guy? I don't see SamH tolerating anyone who alienates his customers so maybe that jerk you spoke of is done.

The ladies had House Salads, I had Grilled Sardines which only made me miss the real beach shack fare of the Algarve, but I had to try 'em. My chum from England, a big fan of anything edible (and drinkable) had seared Monkfish Liver which I thought spot-on. Eliot ordered a Vouvray which was perfect.

Entrees were all spectacular... except mine: Like an idiot, I ordered Hanger Steak M/Rare and it was like rubber. My Wife was laughing cuz I make a really good Hanger myself, so what-up-wit-choo 2nite, boyfriend? :wacko: She had an amazing Duck, Amy had - she boasted - the best scallops she's ever had, and E had the tuna. I'd elaborate on the method but we were well into a third bottle of wine by the time our food came (reasonable wait) and things got, um, more and more silly.

One thing is when A asked if the scallops were local our server said yes (they were huge hockey pucks too), "but not diver scallops... they don't do that anymore, it's too dangerous,"

(Okay, the servers out there know you've got a little wiggle room on the truth about the specials. The odds that a former scallop/urchin diver was at the receiving end of that line of crap are infintesimal, but it happened, and I know the guys who are still diving and yes, it is dangerous, and yes, I still wince at the bump on my shin where my wife kicked me when she saw me start to squirm when I heard that server LIIIIIE TTOOOOOO MMEEEEE !!!!! ) :angry:

Fore Street placed a plate of BRabe and Mashed in the middle for us to share, which made the main presentation more striking, and allows each to decide to what extent their sides are applied to the main course. A nice touch, I thought.

I stole the Dessert/Cheese/Port and DWine list which look delicious enough to go back tonight and finish our meal. In conclusion, we had a pretty good time and all was tasty and I'd eat there in a jiffy, especially if someone else was paying for it!

SKEETER: I think my critique is little lacking, but we were having too much fun to pay too close attention! I'd be happy to detail the dessert list for you in an email, just let me know (their cheese list is worth a visit alone). BTW: Has VHaven got broadband yet? My friends on Swan's Island are steaming about their connections, last I heard.

Portland Food Map.com

No broadband on Vinalhaven yet. Still the slow as molasses phone line. Well, that sounds like a good time. I have yet to get a non rubbery hanger steak anywhere so I don't order that any more. The same bartender is there! That's him. Oh well, I just haven't experienced the Fore Street when it's really on I guess. I may try it again some time but with all these great recommendations here I may not need to. Thanks everybody.

• 2 months later...

Hi

We'll be spending one night in Portland ME on July 30. We're planning to have dinner at Fore St, but would appreciate a hotel recommendation (reasonably priced and clean) and a breakfast/brunch recommendation for that Saturday morning. Thanks!

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Can't help with the hotel request (we stayed in Brunswick due to family obligations) but I have to put my two cents in about HUGOs!

We were there a few weeks ago and I've got to tell you...it was one of the BEST meals I've had in a long time. Fore Street is certainly good...but HUGO's is fantastic.

There...hope I haven't thrown a monkey wrench in to your plans...LOL

Hi

We are planning to go to Hugo's, but a couple of days later, when we're staying in Boothbay and will do a day trip.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

I'll also be in Portland for the first time in a few weeks. Does anyone have any restaurant recommendations in the "non-Gourmet" category, although I hate that term I just thought of. Just basic, good, no ritz restaurants in the downtown area. Thanks.

rich

Thanks for the "oyster Bar" plug JohnnyD, we don't ever get mentioned on this board ( I understand why, of course)

As far as your visit goes, Sara, when your done walking from WIld Iris, please come have a drink at Old Port Sea Grill. As an old DC denizen, I'd love to hear what Slater and the boys have been up to in my absence, and all about the Cicadas too!

• 1 month later...

Hi

Yes, it is pretty here in Boothbay at the moment, tho much warmer than I'd like. What happened to the nice cool summers here? It's in the 80s!

At the moment I'm at the new Moosehead Coffee House (near the library), which has wifi. The days of internet-less Boothbay are gone.

Restaurant update-- The Lobsterman's Coop has always been a favorite, but has taken a dive IMO. We went the other night, and at 7 pm they were out of steamers, and any lobstahs bigger than 1.25! Lots of pissed off people there. Next day, we did Robinson's instead, and not only did they have everything we wanted, but the lobsters tasted better. This is a switch from my experiences in years past.

Ok, off to Damariscotta for oysters!

-- William Grimes

I probably missed you but these are the guys who supplied my lobsterboat oyster bar:

Mook Sea Farm, Inc

Bill Mook

321 State Route 129

Walpole, ME 04573

Ph 207-586-1456

Fax 586-5244

Outstanding quality oysters. A couple of Guinness or a bottle of sancerre to go with 'em. I hear there are others in the river doing a bang-up job as well.

Enjoy! :biggrin:

Portland Food Map.com