• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Portland ME Restaurants

skeeter

...not because I'm "as French as the Durkee Onions on green bean casserole"...but that's a different story)...mmmmm......green bean casserole."

HA!

Deadheads are kinda like people who like licorice. Not everybody likes licorice, but people who like licorice, *really* like licorice!

-Jerry Garcia

I think we have settled on which building to purchase for bandol and the butcher shop.......finally

Tell me about the butcher shop. I have been so out of touch lately that I haven't heard any news ... or even good gossip. I hope you'll carry duck, it's impossible to find in Portland now.

I do have some news for you all. Hugo's has totally revamped the bar menu with some new larger portioned items (like lamb shank with beet risotto) and some specialty snacks (the chips with rosemary powder are pretty cool). I've linked the website for Hugo's but I don't think the new menus will be up until the beginning of the week.

I hope you'll carry duck, it's impossible to find in Portland now.

I visit Karl, chef/owner of Cafe At Pat's above Pat's Meat Market on Stevens avenue often. He seems to have duckfat rendering all the time. When I commented on it he said he gets his duck "from downstairs" at a reasonable price. Pat's Meat Market: 772-3961.

Erik, that's pretty exciting news. Best of luck and do keep us posted.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

He seems to have duckfat rendering all the time. When I commented on it he said he gets his duck "from downstairs" at a reasonable price.

Correction: Had brunch there today (awesome as usual) and chatted with Karl. He has gone totally organic and buys from other sources now. Still makes sure there is a sufficient amount of duckfat in the reach-in but it's from a supplier down-coast.

He has also added maine shrimp to his menu now that the season has started.

:cool:

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

Portland Food Map.com

Though I cant get into too much detail about schematics, the butcher shop will be pretty unique, especially around here. Completely unlike any of the meateries around here. I have a handful of folks growing certain animals especially for me....rabbits, hogs, lamb, ducks, various other fowl......maybe some happy bovine. Pretty much any part or piece you will want or need. Everything broken down from whole beast, nothing wasted...I'm trying to figure out how to package and sell a "pig smile", but havent really reached a result.

Both bandol and ladle will be receiving their meats from the butcher shop. We'll be curing our own meats, making sausage. As well as being a retail shop, you will be able to sit, have a glass of wine and some house cured charcuterie or a Haut Dog. Plus, prepared take away things.

Like i mentioned back in February, Bandol will have the same style of dining, but also a Gastro Pub with some old school goodies from the Alpes-maritimes, Var, gascony, and other regions from when borders didn't exist.

I've been having quite a few dinner parties lately (mostly because i miss my restaurant)....last week I roasted a whole foie and made a Sou Fassum. I recommend searching out the Sou Fassum and recreating it for your next gathering. Dont bother with the individual cabbage leaves....its best to stuff the whole cabbage and poach it whole in cheesecloth.....mmmmmmmm

didn't mean to use egullet to talk about my restaurants....thats what the PR guy is for!!!! sorry to ramble....but do try the Sou Fassum.

As well as being a retail shop, you will be able to sit, have a glass of wine and some house cured charcuterie or a Haut Dog.  Plus, prepared take away things. 

Cheers Erikd, you've made my day.

Not exactly related...

I've been lost without the Green Grocer and have been looking for an alternate source for produce within walking distance of the Old Port. I noticed recently that Hortons in the new Public Market House has expanded their offerings (lovely baby bok choi on Sunday) - can anyone recommend anywhere else for produce in the area?

As well as being a retail shop, you will be able to sit, have a glass of wine and some house cured charcuterie or a Haut Dog.  Plus, prepared take away things. 

Cheers Erikd, you've made my day.

Not exactly related...

I've been lost without the Green Grocer and have been looking for an alternate source for produce within walking distance of the Old Port. I noticed recently that Hortons in the new Public Market House has expanded their offerings (lovely baby bok choi on Sunday) - can anyone recommend anywhere else for produce in the area?

I live in the old port as well, and the pickings are slim to none. Does anyone want to start a co-op with me? Aside from the soup house, bakery, butcher shop and restaurant building, I'm really not doing anything............ :blink:

but really....we need a produce market.....

I live in the old port as well, and the pickings are slim to none.  Does anyone want to start a co-op with me?  Aside from the soup house, bakery, butcher shop and restaurant building, I'm really not doing anything............ :blink:

Very tempting.

Don't tease. :raz:

I was actually thinking about this while walking home. Do you reckon the Old Port could support a produce market given the bits and pieces currently available (Brown's, Micucci's, Hortons) and the seasonal farmer's market?

the old port is quite the microchosm......the shops you listed all have SOME produce....probably due to the fact that the greengrocer is gone. But, would you buy fish from your Cheese guy??? or shampoo from your mechanic????

not to say that they dont have good produce....they're all brilliant business owners, and for all of them, quality come first, no compromise.

But no one is doing just produce

we would only need a little hole in the wall with some shelves and refrigeration....keep things local when available, and outsource only to happy farms elsewhere............

hmmmm....

any of you out there want to open a produce shop?

...the new Public Market House....

Whoa.

What, pray tell, is that?

The place in Monument Square housing some of the merchants from the former Portland Public Market - Big Sky, Hortons, the florist (the name escapes me) and Maine Beer/Bev Co. It's where the surplus shop was for many years, at the top of the square.

The place in Monument Square housing some of the merchants from the former Portland Public Market - Big Sky, Hortons, the florist (the name escapes me) and Maine Beer/Bev Co.  It's where the surplus shop was for many years, at the top of the square.

Thanks. I only come thru Portland 3-4 times a year, always went to the PPM for lunches. Didn't know about the new facility.

Is either Big Sky or Hortons the sandwich/soup place that was by the entrance to the old PPM? I don't remember its name.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

big sky was the place right by the entrance if you came in closer to congress street.. if you came in off cumberland, then hortons was closer...

Deadheads are kinda like people who like licorice. Not everybody likes licorice, but people who like licorice, *really* like licorice!

-Jerry Garcia

Yes, Big Sky is the one I was thinking of, thanks. Good to know they're still around.

There was also Stone Soup, which I know was an outpost from their place further out on Congress.

Does the Market House offer chairs & tables like the old PPM, so that you can eat there? I can't find a website for it. Big Sky's site has a nice photo of the exterior but I can't tell what's going on inside.

Gosh I'm full of annoying little questions!

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

No tables at the moment, and a bit crowded inside when it's busy. I've heard they are finishing off the lower level to make space for day tables, additional vendors, etc, including some lunch vendors so perhaps there will be tables added. In the warmer weather you can find a seat outside on the square but these days you're better off dodging raindrops and snowflakes inside somewhere else.

I think the Stone Soup on Congress Street has moved or closed - is that Binga's Wingas in the building now? Binga's is a fun place for a casual night out; they have a huge variety of wings, fried pickles, burgers and *loud* music...they also have a second location at 40 Portland Street, the past home of the Portland Street Diner and long ago, Natasha's.

Thanks for the info. The new market space sounds promising, but it looks it'll be summer before I'll have a chance to check it out.

I was happy to hear that Rosemont Market was opening a second location, and then disappointed to hear it would be in Yarmouth.

I've always thought the market next to Sapporo would make a great Green Grocer II. I've been secretly hopeful ever since it went up for lease. :smile:

I've always thought the market next to Sapporo would make a great Green Grocer II. I've been secretly hopeful ever since it went up for lease. :smile:

Was that the Union Wharf Market? That space is huge, you could do a lot with it.

I prefer the hole in the wall approach, at least for starters. Seasonal produce, highest quality, you're right, you'd pack out the place. There's people who would back that project, erikd.

the butcher shop will be pretty unique, especially around here.  Completely unlike any of the meateries around here.  I have a handful of folks growing certain animals especially for me....rabbits, hogs, lamb, ducks, various other fowl......maybe some happy bovine.We'll be curing our own meats, making sausage.  As well as being a retail shop, you will be able to sit, have a glass of wine and some house cured charcuterie or a Haut Dog.  Plus, prepared take away things. 

The shop sounds exciting. Will the wine be all French like Bandol was?

I also love the idea of a new greengrocer. I LOVE Rosemont, but a wider variety of produce would be great and I really miss those Turbana bananas that John used to get at the Greengrocer. They lasted forever and never got too starchy.

Thanks for the info johnnyd, I always forget about Pat's, they're closed Sundays and Mondays (my days off), so never became a part of my shopping routine.

I'm going to have a bunch of domestic things at bandol...toward the end, we had domestics....I MAY get into some australians as well...the Two Hands from SoPo are great....we'll see....

The downtown produce idea has been eating at me...I think I'm going to give it a go, see what i can work out.

went to see my rabbits last night....they looked DELICIOUS, and almost ready to go.

erikd, et al,

Someone has to get with John at Rosemont and review why the PGG stopped selling fresh produce. I know there was a delivery-access issue with the expansion behind the building, but I also thought that the fresh produce section was a money-loser and was there basically to encourage the purchase of wines and imported foodstuffs that had a higher margin. I didn't run the place so I'm just speculating.

I just got a gift certificate to Vignola from a friend - what shall I and my charming wife have??? :smile:

Portland Food Map.com

The pizzas there might be your best bet, from my experience, as well as a bunch of folks i know....their WBTG list is decent as well

johnnyd.......I just started a Blog on my own website to document the opening of my businesses, as well as general food, wine and lifestyle talk.....I can't wax poetic about Bandol here, so I figure my own Soapbox would be a good idea. It's at your disposal, along with the other e-gulleteers in NE. Please post and pass it on!

erikd

BandolBlog

The venerable Barbara's Kitchen on Cottage road in South Portland has closed. Chef/owner Barbara Winthrop, who has operated the eight-table restaurant and catering biz for many years is very sick with cancer.

Famous for her tomato/brandy soup among many other dishes, Barbara's featured jazz every Wednesday night with the MarcChelemi trio. The last night of business was host to every guest musician Marc and the band had drop in over the four+ years, and apparently the revelry spilled out onto the street that night.

David Turin of David's Restaurant has purchased Barbara's Kitchen. Apparently, the Marc Chelemi band will continue to perform some evenings when it re-opens.

Portland Food Map.com

Just open last week:

The SNUG - 223 Congress St - (That's up the hill towards the Eastern Promenade and Munjoy Hill)

A little Irish bar owned by former Acoustic Coffee proprietor Margaret Lyons. Sunday nights go see eGullet barman extraordinaire fatdeko.

Speaking of Acoustic Cofee, new owner (1yr.) Mike O'Connor is re-naming the place "Goat's Head Soup" starting 1st of January. He plans upward of four soup offerings on weekdays. Live music is no longer just acoustic after that day as well.

Edited by johnnyd (log)

Portland Food Map.com

I've been in The Snug a few times (they opened the first week of December) and I like it - it's cosy, comfortable and lively with a nice beer selection. The paper indicated they might have food but I haven't asked about that - has anyone? Curiously, Margaret told us it was not an Irish pub (despite several published reports to the contrary, and the Irish feel) ... also several local Irish session musicians were asked to leave instead of play ... but that's another story. The Snug is a nice addition to the out-of-Old Port offerings.

During another recent trek up Munjoy Hill, I had a relaxing meal at The Blue Spoon - a fun starter with assorted cheese, olives, meats and tasty bread, and (slightly overdone) tuna on greens. I love the white bean dip they put out with the bread basket.