• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Portland ME Restaurants

skeeter

Maple? I've been kind of out of the loop, but is this a new venue?

Deadheads are kinda like people who like licorice. Not everybody likes licorice, but people who like licorice, *really* like licorice!

-Jerry Garcia

I heard on the street that John at the Rosemont Bakery is cooking up a seafood restaurant OR retail, or both, somewhere on Portland's waterfront. He was a seafood dealer for a spell so his heart's definitely into it.

Stay tuned...

edit to add: John was a partner in founding the now-closed Portland GreenGrocer.

Edited by johnnyd (log)

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

The bit about John at the Greengrocer looking to open a seafood restaurant is a bit of a surprise. I am usually in the store a couple of times a week and chat with him a bit. The surprise part is that he did not mention anything. Actually asked him about getting artichokes into the store, being spring and all.

Siren, stop in Maple Organics when you have the chance for I think that you would like it. The owner's name is actually spelled Christie and introduce yourself and how you heard about it. It's still developing every day but it is starting off on the right foot and her heart is in the right place.

Any local Egulleteers have experience with clamming? A picture in the Press Herald a few days back has put the idea in my head and running the Back Cove most mornings serves as a constant reminder, seeing the different levels from the tides.

Johnnyd mentioned the idea of planning a lobsterbake or other get-together, which I am in full support off and offer any help that is needed. My only concern would be the sheer cost of "renting" the area over at Willard/SMCC and the hiring of a licensed caterer, etc. Likely to cost well over $50/person and coupled with travelling expenses may make it difficult to attract enough interest. I am more of a bare bones enthusiast and suggest buying lobsters from a local lobsterman and doing it ourselves with eveyone pitching in and the price tag coming in close to $20. Only need to come up with a date and working on someone to host it.

Jack, was thinking just the other day about getting together with you guys as it sounds like you had a great time for drinks @ Oolong. If my gf and I owned a house, I'd more than love to host a get together, but we're apartment dwellers :( However, if the idea is still tossed around, I'd love to help in any way.

As far as clamming, that's also something fun I've wanted to do, though I hear it is quite backbreaking.. but, still, seems like something you should do at least once while living in maine.

Deadheads are kinda like people who like licorice. Not everybody likes licorice, but people who like licorice, *really* like licorice!

-Jerry Garcia

had reservations at Hugo's but we were early and stopped by Duck Fat, to take the edge off our appetites.......we just should have stayed there.........Hugo's was disappointing ......I'm tired of just a tiny taste of exquisite food.....I'd like at least a soup spoon full.......I'm not impressed with Fore St.....go north to Primo........it's tops........bon apetito

Planning a night out for drinks some time in the future would be fun. I will not be here in Portland for the next few weekends, being out of state, but let me know and we can try to plan something for May.

I want to try my hand at clamming to see it first hand and agree that it surely is a lot of work. If enough are interested and have the know-how, I will gladly do the cooking with the fruits of our labors - fried wholebelly clams and steamers, anyone? They would probably taste that much better knowing the work that went into harvesting and would wash down well with a local craft brew (or wait just another month or so for the next homebrew batch).

• 2 weeks later...

Went to GoGo in South Portland yesterday and met Lynn, the owner, who I must say has energy to spare.

There were lots of things I wanted to try but spotted a turkey stew special that hit the spot on a rainy day. It was a homemade classic with rice, carrot and celery, served with a great biscuit.

It's great to see something in that place again - even though it's residentially zoned, the restaurant license was grandfathered in the deed. Lynn will try dinners when she gets more staff. Check it out.

edit to add: GoGo will be featured in this weeks "Go" section of the Portland Press Herald

Edited by johnnyd (log)

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

Portland Food Map.com

We recently drove down to Portland and stayed in the Inn on St. John in order to offset our driving time on the way to New York City. We like Portland and I used to live there in the early eighties while I was going to Portland School of Art. We travel to NYC often but we usually try to make it in one day and how that goes is we get to Portland around lunch time and we stop at MIM'S on Commercial St. to eat. We like it because the food is good and you sort of put your meal together from the menu which offers choices as to meat, seafood, and vegetable... nice wine list. But this time we stayed overnight with our dogs which the Inn on St. John allows and they had a reasonable price ($60.00) for us that night... I was surprised... must have been the end of off season... but nice. Their breakfast was not good... the coffee ok... the room was old fashioned which I like, (recently renovated) and perfectly fine. We went to 555 Congress and had a very nice meal. I had the steak, very nice and Nancy had two appetizers. I felt comfortable there and we were taken very good care of. Nancy, on the way down to Portland... we live on Vinalhaven... was hell bent to go to Street + Co., I think it's name is... a seafood place on Wharf St. But the woman answering the phone seemed so quick and snooty that we decided to check out other options. I had wanted to try 555 anyway so it worked out well for me and on driving up through on Congress St. and me pointing the restaurant front out... Nancy saw the space and thought it looked good so we went... I remember this space as being a book store from when I lived in Portland years ago... I don't remember the name of the bookstore.

In NYC, we had lunch at Jean George at 1 Trump Tower on Columbus Circle which has recently gotten four stars in a review in the New York Times... I still think that Primo in Rockland is the best restaurant... the standard by which we judge all others. We're not impressed with Hugo's or Fore St. and yes... Bandol, but then again at that time we had just been to The Castine Inn and tiny fussily portioned bits made me sad that we opened Bandol's door because I was hungry. MIM's works for us in Portland... nicely prepared food... comforting portions... good wines... I did learn tho... not to order the gnocchi... hard, grilled, and probably touched too too much.

I had wanted to try 555 anyway so it worked out well for me and on driving up through on Congress St. and me pointing the restaurant front  out... Nancy saw the space and thought it looked good so we went... I remember this space as being a book store from when I lived in Portland years ago... I don't remember the name of the bookstore.

skeeter, the space where 555 is now (before it was the restaurant Aubergine) was called Raffles Cafe and Bookstore.

I liked that place.

"Democracy is that system of government under which the people…pick out a Coolidge to be head of the State. It is as if a hungry man, set before a banquet prepared by master cooks and covering a table an acre in area, should turn his back upon the feast and stay his stomach by catching and eating flies." H. L. Mencken

http://entertainment.mainetoday.com/dining...ary/005795.html

I came across this posting discussing the sale of meat products at Portland's farmers markets. I REALLY want locally raised meats to be more accessible and being able to buy it direct from the farm via the farmer's market is a good option.

I'd like to weigh in with the city council about this issue. In the meantime, I would appreciate a source for natural, un-enhanced, locally grown pork in the area. Actually, good sources for meat products in general would be helpful. I've started to look at some of the meat shares that are available at area farms, but I'm not well informed on that.

I am aware of Maine-ly poultry (Whole Grocer) and Wolf's Neck (Hannaford). Rosemont Market sells Curtis Farm (?), which I've never tried. That is not terribly convenient for me, but if anyone has some feedback on the quality, that would be helpful. Free-range eggs from Turkey Hill Community Farm (Willard Square Bakery sells in winter, ka-ching!). I've never had good luck with the free-range or organic eggs they sell at Hannaford.

Oooh, we would like to make our own bacon and could really use a good source for pork belly other than the asian markets.

I'm so very happy that the farm stands will soon be opening. We bought some stone dust from Jordan's Farm a few weeks ago and that made me happy. It was like "pre-farm stand" activity :)

Willard Square Bakery sells in winter, ka-ching!

Gee, I didn't read it that way, Sonja. Maybe I'm not down with the lingo but my reaction was more about the fact that they were just plain there at all and the neighborhood was much richer for it!

Fresh eggs are fresh eggs: delicious and better for you - I'll pay whatever you charge! :rolleyes:

Portland Food Map.com

Hmm, I must have missed something in this thread. Turkey Hill Farm eggs are only available at Willard Square bakery in the winter as far as I know. I get them at Jordan's in the summer. There are usually also other egg options in the summer, but I know of nothing else in the winter. They are pricier but well worth it! Once you go fresh, you can never go back!

Btw, according to Turkey Hills website, they also sell chickens, lamb, and some pork. I'm just not sure if its by share only. Has anyone tried their product (aside from the eggs, of course!)??

Willard Square Bakery sells in winter, ka-ching!

Gee, I didn't read it that way, Sonja. Maybe I'm not down with the lingo but my reaction was more about the fact that they were just plain there at all and the neighborhood was much richer for it!

Fresh eggs are fresh eggs: delicious and better for you - I'll pay whatever you charge! :rolleyes:

I was at One Fifty Ate this morning to grab a salt bagel with herbalizer. They said that Bar Lola is expected to open this Friday at 100 Congress. Looks like they will be offering dinner Wed thru Sat and will replace the dinner at One Fifty Ate.

That section of Congress is turning into quite the dining destination!

I went to a wine luncheon at Bar Lola on Monday. I was really excited, the tapas were real tapas. I thought of johnnyd as we had mentioned longing for a kickass Spanish restaurant some months ago and I thought this was a really good start.

more details, please, esme!!!

-Jerry Garcia

yes, i believe they closed their doors on 4/30..

-Jerry Garcia

Sorry, Siren!

dishes included:

Cauliflower florettes with meshed potato

grilled scallop

slow roasted calamari (my personal favorite, I stole Jon's tentacles)

grilled asparagus

some sort of salami

braised beef

pickled beets

I wish I could be more specific, but the luncheon was very informal (without menus or descriptions of food). All of these were served as tapas on individual plates. There were also more dishes that I didn't see, try, or remember today

slow roasted calamari (my personal favorite, I stole Jon's tentacles)

Dirty!!

any discussion on average prices?

Edited by Siren (log)

-Jerry Garcia

Went to Bar Lola Saturday afternoon as I hadn't heard of it prior to the above post, but they were closed. No menu on the window so that list is helpful. Looks nice and organized inside.

Went down to Front Room and had a great reuben with slaw, but I wanted tapas! :rolleyes:

Portland Food Map.com