• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pittsburgh Food?!?

grumbl3

Thanks, all. That gives me some good choices. The 8-year-old is a pretty good eater, but I think Korean would daunt him. As long as he can get fried calamari he's happy. Heck we live in Winchester, Va., and the best restaurant in this town in the Golden Corral. And no, I'm not kidding. Sad, isn't it???

From the Carnegie Museum you can walk into Oakland and get fries and a dog at the Oakland Original. Don't order a large fries unless you are prepared to share it with about 43 other friends.

You could also walk to the Spice Island teahouse which is a nice, reasonable pan-Asian place (on Atwood as I recall).

If you want to see foodies in action, visit the Strip on a Saturday morning.

For fancy dancy food, I eat at home.

Hello! I am wondering if you can help me as well. the DH and I are going up to visit Fallingwater in May for a long weekend (Thurs-Sun) and I of course must know where to eat. Obviously we have quite a few meal's worth of options so your top picks are most appreciated.

One of the nights is our anniversary so a special occasion, price-is-no-concern (well, not $500, but a couple hundred is fine), destination would be great too.

Many thanks in advance!

ann

Kahrs beat me to the punch on recommending Nemacolin! It is beautiful........I hit my first hole-in-one there on a par 3 hole and we'd go to eat afterwards and have homemeade fresh blackberry pie for dessert.

Kahrs beat me to the punch on recommending Nemacolin! It is beautiful........I hit my first hole-in-one there on a par 3 hole and we'd go to eat afterwards and have homemeade fresh blackberry pie for dessert.

you shoot a hole in one?

really?

details woman!

• 2 months later...
I should have posted my last post in this thread instead. Anyone have any other thoughts on where one should go for one night of fine dining in Pittsburgh? Thx

"Fine dining" in Pittsburgh is pretty limited.

Try Baum Vivant (5102 Baum Boulevard) on the border of Shadyside and Bloomfield. Haven't been in ages, but it's about as close to real fine dining in the 'burgh as you can get.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

• 1 month later...

I was dragged to Primanti Bros. this weekend. My friend discovered it down in Fla. and was as excited to go to Primanti as I was to go to Penzey's.

Lucky for her Primanti's is open on Sunday. Unlucky for me, Penzey's is not :angry:

When we walked in I went searching for my inner Holly Moore. Fortunately I found him, even though it wasn't in the food.

If I was hung over, or a current (or former) teenage boy, I would love this place. My friend got the grilled cheese with everything, which looked great. I made the mistake of ordering the cheesesteak with fries, hold the cole slaw and tomato. I should have known I was in trouble when I asked for hots and the guys behind the counter had no idea what I was talking about.

It looked like babkas, with the meat was in patty form. The sandwich had great potential which it did not live up to. The fries were good (a little undercooked for my taste) and the cheese was nice and gooey. If I had been hungover my stomach would have been very happy. But I was the DD that weekend so I didn't really need the grease.

Love the story behind it. That made the trip worth while.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

When we walked in I went searching for my inner Holly Moore.  Fortunately I found him, even though it wasn't in the food.

Unless you have a secret home remedy for degrease-staining a shirt, tis better to have found your inner than your outer Holly

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter