• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking shows in Japan

Jason Perlow

Kristin, darling, you're not getting older, you're getting wiser.

but seriously though....fans of SMAP has nothing to do with age. When I was at their concert last year, I got ran over by the "o-ba-sans" with 2 young kids in tow cuz I was in her way of buying memorabilia.... :shock: The fan base is really wide!! from 8 to 80! and most of the folks at the concert were "o-ba-sans"....oh dear, I must be getting old. :laugh:

• 1 month later...

Help me, please! I can't find my favourite food-related show--Dotchi no Ryouri (sp?)! Could somone tell me what station and time it is usually on?

I'm also on the search for new cooking shows. Are there any good ones out there? I tend to avoid the NHK ones, but I need a food fix so anything will do!

BTW, if anyone is interested in where I'm living or what I'm eating, I have some pictures up on webshots under the My Apartment and Japanese Food albums. It took me 5 days to finish that blasted mentaiko spaghetti, but it's finally finished so maybe I can cook something else today!

dotchi no ryouri show is on Thursdays from 9:00 on Nihon terebi. It is channel 4 in Tokyo/Yokohama. It was not on last night for as there was some special.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

BTW, if anyone is interested in where I'm living or what I'm eating, I have some pictures up on webshots under the My Apartment and Japanese Food albums. It took me 5 days to finish that blasted mentaiko spaghetti, but it's finally finished so maybe I can cook something else today!

great pictures!

Is the apartment furnished?

I love that oven, can you tell me more about it...... :biggrin:

don't know how good your Japanese is, but here is a list of cooking shows from all over Japan:

http://allabout.co.jp/gourmet/okazu/subjec...b_tvprogram.htm

thanks! I can read enough to get the general gist of things, so I managed to find some shows I'd be interested in.

My apaato was completely furnished--it is about as well furnished as my last apartment (in Tochigi) but a bit smaller. My clothes dryer in my last apt. was bigger, but my bed here is bigger (semi-double). My last apartment, though, at least had linens, towels, and soap when I arrived, though. This one had none of that! Not even a sliver of soap! Good think I brought my own!

I love my range and oven, though! The oven is Osaka Gas and it has three main buttons--I have figured out that one is for the microwave, one is convection oven, and I don't know what the third is (there are no manuals in my apartment, so I've had to figure things out on my own :shock: ). There are also three program buttons, but I haven't figured those out, either. The oven is quite large--I can fit a 9x13 pan or a 12-muffin pan in it without a problem! My last oven I could only get a 9" round or 8" square! I think I should be able to roast a turkey, too! If I liked turkey, that is. My only complaint about the oven is the time function. There's a dial to set the timer and it only goes up in increments of 10 (seconds or minutes). So I can't bake something for 45 minutes, for example, I have to set it for 40 or 50. Not a big deal, really, just a small hassle. More kitchen stuff--I'm getting a new, very powerful blender, or so I've been told (also a combo VHS-DVD player). I'm going to make pesto!

I have pictures up of the outside of my apartment now, too. Plus pictures of last night's okonomiyaki and okashi. I'm eating my brains out over here :biggrin: . Now all I need is DSL and I'll be one happy camper! (Yahoo BB, here I come!)

• 1 month later...

Here in Northern California, there are a number of foreign television channels that offer a variety of bizarre shows. Searching through the evening's offerings, curiousity peaked at *something* entitled "My Little Chef" which had nothing more to its description than, "Drama."

What I stumbled on was Episode 5 of an apparently on-going drama about a number of people involved in the restaurant industry. In this episide, Woman Executive wonders why her Ex-Partner has opened a much smaller restaurant after leaving her and asks His Old Partner to go and find out why. In a twisted and convulated fashion, we learn that Ex-Partner is struggling in his new business because the suppliers won't deliver ingredients. Old Partner arrives as the evening's one and only customer.

The Head Chef is a young, beautiful woman who interviews the customers to be able to prepare "the perfect dish" for each person. While other characters are introduced and the plot develops, the Chef prepares a meal where the courses are individually photographed and displayed a la Iron Chef style (complete with dramatic music).

By the end of this hour-long play, we see the mending of broken relationships and the development of new ones (Woman Executive is actuallly long-lost mother to burgeoning Chef!).

The next installment is being shown at 8:00 p.m. on June 12th on KTSF (Channel 8 for me). Do you folks in Japan get this? It is reminiscent to me of when I discovered Iron Chef on this same channel - over 8 years ago and before it ever was heard of on The Food Network. I'm terribly excited to have a TV show to look forward to now that Iron Chef sucks and Frasier is gone...

That's the one! I'm so thankful they are showing it with sub-titles here. I wasn't sure how old it was but had a relatively contemporary look so knew it wasn't that old. I'm pretty jazzed about it, being somewhat of a Japan-o-phile... I'm even go to have a small dinner party for the next showing here in three weeks. I'll be experimenting my Okonomiyaki as well as a standard Sukiyaki which I can create pretty confidentally.

Arigato!

Just out of curiosity, have you ever posted the recipes of your versions of okonomiyaki and sukiyaki and/or any photos of them? I tried to search for them myself, but you have already made 1555 posts!..., so I quit.

I have nevver heard of this show, but then I noticed it aired at 10:00pm, an hour past my bedtime! :raz:

Hiroyuki, if you go to the okonomiyaki thread Carolyn has her okonomiyaki making posted there.

Thanks, torakris. How forgetful I am... I even made a reply to their pronunciation question!

But, what about sukiyaki?

Carolyn Tille, if you are confident about making sukiyaki, why don't you make gyudon for a change? :biggrin:

• 2 months later...

torakris, that is an excellent site. Thanks!

It's almost painful to see all the wonderful programs I'd like to watch... but can't, as I no longer live in Japan :angry: They need to create a JapanFoodTV as a cable/satellite channel and let people outside of Japan subscribe. I'd pay quite a big subscription fee for that!

I'm pretty excited about reading the articles posted on there though! :smile:

• 1 month later...

We've been enjoying Cooking Showdown, DOTCHI NO RYORI SHOW, (subtitled in English), wherein two Japanese dishes are pitched against one another, with a lineup of judges who must by the end of the show pick one, and only those aligning with the dish garnering the most votes get to eat. It's all quite tongue-in-cheek, the competition part.

I love how the provenance of each ingredient is explored, and the demonstration of each dish's preparation. I also love the comedy and the groovy judges.

But what does DOTCHI NO RYORI mean?

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

this is probably one of the only shows I watch and in my opinion is even better than Iron Chef. I especially love the part where they showcase the ingredients.

There is some more on the show in the cooking shows in Japan thread:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=40071

So they've finally decided to export this show. Hope it does well.

I like Dotchi a lot, and watch it most weeks. Sometimes they seem to run out of ideas and choose really lame food, or food that isn't fairly matched.

I wonder if all shows will be exported, or just the good ones?

My eGullet foodblog: Spring in Tokyo

My regular blog: Blue Lotus

Iron Chef (Ryori no Tetsujin in Japanese) was spectacular, while Dotch no Ryori Show is informative. I still remember those Friday nights that I watched Ryori no Tetsujin with eagerness. In fact, I had the silly illusion that this TV program would last forever. But reality came around, and it ended rather unexpectedly, leaving so many Japanese unsatisified, including me.

The word ryori is broad in sense. In Dotch no Ryori Show, it means food or dish, while in Ryori no Tetsujin, it means cooking rather than food or dish. It can also mean cuisine as in Nihon ryori (Japanese cuisine).

Thank you for the info, everyone. The ep broadcast tonight in Southern California pitted pizza toast against hotcakes ... fantastic documentary on the guy making the provolone cheese with the Swiss cows.

What a great show this is!

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

• 3 months later...

I finally found the Japanese website for my favorite TV show! It is translated as "Next Stop Discovery", and the Japanese name is....."Burari?" ぶらり途中下車の旅 (ぶらり とちゅうげしゃ の たび)...."Burari tochyuu geshya no tabi"

In this show, a host picks a railway line somewhere in (greater) Tokyo, including Yokohama, and gets off at random stops along the line and wander around the area to look for "cultural expereices". Its pretty fun cause they are always poking thier noses into anything that looks mildly interesting, and always seem to find interesting cutural things (usually crafts or activities), and of course eat at least 2 or 3 times every episode (usually interesting dishes too).

For instance the episodes shown tonight (probably old re-runs), along Yamanote Line, he ate soft-shelled turtle soup (Sugamo Station), and Gyuushi, a "turkish delight", that looked like sticky mochi (Takanobaba Station). The guy who rode Saitamo Express Line ate uni-spaghetti, and found a group of people tasting "Tokyo Weiners", main ingredients being kabocha, kim chee, or spinach!

http://www.ntv.co.jp/burari/index.html

(Japanese only)

I think there is a episode archive listing of the places they went and what they did.

http://www.ntv.co.jp/english/pc/ntv-entertainment.pdf

Limited explanation of the program in English (downloadable PDF).

Has anyone else seen this show? What do you think?

I think there are many similarly styled shows in Japan.