• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking shows in Japan

Jason Perlow

Another Horikita episode... 070625 episode of SMAP...

I couldn't find a subtitled feed, so I have no idea what they are saying.

Is that Kimchi soup?  And why are they spooning it over the burger?

If not, then what is it?

Do they say what the recipes for those food is?

what's SMAP? If I could take a look at it I could tell you.

wow i just finished watching teppan shojo akane and I hated it ): so boring and such a terrible ending. For now I'll watch korean food dramas until more subtitled osen comes out

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

Sorry, I have a cold and I'll respond to one question for now.

That bento is a tori soboro bento.

Here are images of tori soboro (minced chicken seasoned with soy sauce, sugar (mirin), and sake and Japanese scrambled eggs).

Edited to add a link to my humble soboro. :biggrin:

Edited by Hiroyuki (log)

If not, then what is it?

wow i just finished watching teppan shojo akane and I hated it ): so boring and such a terrible ending. For now I'll watch korean food dramas until more subtitled osen comes out

I may not be able to help with food specifics, but SMAP - that I can do :biggrin:

They're a boy band, essentially. I used to describe them as Japan's answer to the Backstreet Boys, but that was in the 90s, and their popularity has been far more enduring than that comparison would suggest. They host a variety show weekly, SMAPxSMAP, and the individual members also appear on innumerable shows as hosts/panel members/etc.

SMAP at wikipedia

We now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion of food :smile:

If not, then what is it?

Well I may be biased but I haven't seen a good Korean one to date. Gourmet was the best one to date and that was lack luster. The old goong jung yo ri ones were really boring. And goong jung yo ri tastes bad anyway... all bland flavours.

I liked Teppan, maybe because horikita is so hot... but Teppan was a comic book made drama, and although I never read the comic book, I thought it was very well made, retaining that comiccy feel to it...

Here are images of tori soboro (minced chicken seasoned with soy sauce, sugar (mirin), and sake and Japanese scrambled eggs).

Thanks Hiroyuki. that was exactly what I was asking about.

So basically, melt some chicken skin over low heat to extract the juices, discard. Stirfry mince chicken in the oil. Add mirin and soy. Plate over rice 1/2 and 1/2 with scrambled egg?

Sounds really simple. Are there any specialty places for this in Japan?

So basically, melt some chicken skin over low heat to extract the juices, discard. Stirfry mince chicken in the oil. Add mirin and soy. Plate over rice 1/2 and 1/2 with scrambled egg?

I watched the whole episode and realized that you were referring to that multi-tiered box (juubako in Japanese) that the lady brought with her later in the episode. The pink food is called denbu (floss made from white-fleshed fish) and the green food is probably boiled spinach.

The lady said that using chicken skin oil would make the soboro tastier. If you don't have any chicken skin available, simply pan-fry minced chicken.

I don't think there are any places famous for that particular dish.

I watched the whole episode and realized that you were referring to that multi-tiered box (juubako in Japanese) that the lady brought with her later in the episode. The pink food is called denbu (floss made from white-fleshed fish) and the green food is probably boiled spinach.

The lady said that using chicken skin oil would make the soboro tastier. If you don't have any chicken skin available, simply pan-fry minced chicken.

I don't think there are any places famous for that particular dish.

Thanks again.

What does denbu taste like? How is it made?

It's so very colorful... the box.

What I am asking is whether the specialties that were mentioned in Teppan Shojo Akane are accurate for Japan and thus can be used as a guide when visiting?

Yes, they are. Unfortunately, there are only nine episodes in total, so I don't think the episodes can be used as a useful guide.

I browsed through almost all the nine episodes, and I found another connection mentioned in the drama: Ueda, Shinshu (aka Nagano) - matsutake mushrooms. Note, however, that the largest producer of matsutake is Hiroshima, and Nagano is the second largest and that Tanba, Kyoto is famous for producing Japan's best matsutake. Note also that the last connection you mentioned is not accurate. It should be China Town in Yokohama - lobster.

Where is your city? and when it is famous for rice, what dish would be best in having that will be memorable for that particular rice?

My city is Minami Uonuma, Niigata prefecture. The Shiozawa area of the city is very famous throughout Japan for producing Japan's best Koshihikari rice. You can see some photos of it here in my blog.

The flavor of rice is best appreciated when it is eaten as shio musubi (rice balls with some salt on the surface) or with only a small amount of some kind of "gohan no tomo" (rice's companion) such as pickles.

Is that Kimchi soup? And why are they spooning it over the burger?

If not, then what is it?

Sorry, I was unable to find detailed information on that episode, dated June 25, 2007.

What does denbu taste like?  How is it made?

It's so very colorful... the box.

Denbu tastes sweet! That's why I hate it! You can often find denbu in chirashi zushi. How is it made? First boil the fish flesh, smash it in a pot, and season with sake, salt, salt, etc.

• 1 year later...

Your Japanese Kitchen in English with Harumi Kurihara and Daniel Kahl is broadcast weekly on NHK channel 3 (Sunday 13:30)and also on NHK World (via cable TV, and also on the internet at the same time the TV broadcasts take place). There may be restrictions on availability of the internet broadcast, depending on what country you are in.

P.S. The program archives include an okonomiyaki recipe that is pretty close to the way I make it, with both egg AND yam.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know which I like less: Harumi Kurihara or NHK's 'introducing Japanese culture in English' type shows. Sounds awful! But I like Daniel Kahl so if it's ever shown as a repeat (when am I ever at home watching TV on a Sunday afternoon?) I may have to watch it.

Helen, my husband uses egg and yamamimo in his okonomiyaki and he's not exactly a brilliant cook, so I kind of assumed it was standard. It's not?

My eGullet foodblog: Spring in Tokyo

My regular blog: Blue Lotus