• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking shows in Japan

Jason Perlow

I watched it. It was a pretty good program. I wish they spent more time on his tools. It left  me wanting to know more about how he made the money to open his own restaurant, what visa he was on in France, and how long he studied French language and cooking. When you use such top quality ingredients and you know all the best producers and distributors it is no wonder that he is so highly praised. How do you build a network like that! Obviously I'm a little jealous but it was also pretty motivating to see such a young chef at a high level.

You can find answers to some of your questions here.

魚であれば、鳴門の漁師と専属契約し、野菜も同様、岸田氏が自らの足で見つけた農家から仕入れている。

As for fish, he has signed an exclusive contract(s) with a fisherman (fishermen) in Naruto. As for vegetables, Mr. Kishida purchases them from farmers he has found himself.

簡単な語学は日本で学びましたが、あとは現地で」。岸田氏は、裸ひとつでフランへ渡った。もちろん、知人もいなければコネもない。

He had learned some French in Japan, and then learned it there. He went to France with empty pockets. He had no acquaintances or connections.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Osen, another TV drama whose theme is food.  It started last night (April 22) and I watched it.  I highly recommend it.

I've watched all the episodes of this drama, except the second, which I missed. :sad::sad:

It's been fascinating, all the beautiful dishes, the setting (old, wooden house, etc.), and all the fabulous kimonos that Osen-san wears.

Again, highly recommended! Don't miss it!

Osen, another TV drama whose theme is food.  It started last night (April 22) and I watched it.  I highly recommend it.

I've watched all the episodes of this drama, except the second, which I missed. :sad::sad:

It's been fascinating, all the beautiful dishes, the setting (old, wooden house, etc.), and all the fabulous kimonos that Osen-san wears.

I can only watch TV for two of the evenings I will be in Japan (29 & 30 May - also 28th, bit only after 11pm) Thursday and Friday

What day of the week and time is this show on? (And which channel?)

I have been learning to wear kimono - combining ryori and kitsuke seems like an irresistible combination to me.

I can only watch TV for two of the evenings I will be in Japan (29 & 30 May - also 28th, bit only after 11pm) Thursday and Friday

What day of the week and time is this show on? (And which channel?)

I have been learning to wear kimono - combining ryori and kitsuke seems like an irresistible combination to me.

Unfortunately, every Tuesday, 10:00 to 11:00 p.m. on Nittere (NTV), that is, channel 4 in Tokyo.

you can watch 2 of the episodes online:  http://www.mysoju.com/osen/

I've already seen these 2 and am still waiting for the other ones...so far it's been really really good

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, the links on the linked page do not work for me. I found this on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvuZjqPKdpY&feature=related

yep, you can also watch on veoh.com as well (without subs). 

btw you missed a great episode hiroyuki.  They made homemade miso in the 2nd episode (:

Thanks. I knew how the episode goes from the official website, but I wanted to know how the miso was actually made.

In yesterday's episode (#6), Yocchan makes hamburgers for staff meals:

http://www.ntv.co.jp/osen/masterpiece/

Hamburger sauce is:

3 tbsp soy sauce

3 tbsp mirin (golden ratio of 1:1!)

1/2 lemon

(Combine them and bring to a boil.)

Inspired by this, I made chicken breast tsukune (Japanese version of hamburger) for supper tonight. My son said it was good!

you can watch 2 of the episodes online:  http://www.mysoju.com/osen/

I've already seen these 2 and am still waiting for the other ones...so far it's been really really good

I watched part of the second episode, but had to quit before they made the miso. I'll have to get back to it later (before it disappears!).

I really like the food, but I'm not sure I can sit through much of the acting. Like with many (most) Japanese dramas, I find the over-acting is difficult to watch for more than a few minutese at a time.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Andonatsu (あんどーなつ)

Another great TV drama, which focuses on wagashi (Japanese confections).

I have watched all the three episodes so far, and I have found them very fascinating.

It is not food-related, but let me provide a link to the theme song (Tada Arigatou) of this TV drama, because it's such a great song!

• 2 months later...

Is anyone watching <カスペ!>超豪華!超激安!今、絶対食べたくなる最強グルメ86連発! tonight on FujiTV?

I've been browsing through their website, but can't find a list of the restaurants they visited, and what was served. Some of them seem rather gimicky (the kakeage donburi with something like 20 or more kakeage), but some of them look really good! Is there such a list out there?

List?  Here it is.

http://wwwz.fujitv.co.jp/b_hp/gurume/list.html

Of course, it's in Japanese. :biggrin:

Thanks! Luckily my brain has a special program for translating food Japanese. :wink:

I actually missed most of the program, but that unaju looked so goooooood! I was also curious about LA BETTOLA da Ochiai, but apparently it's very difficult to get reservations there. Their uni cream spaghetti might be worth it, though!

• 1 month later...

Well I've recently become a fan of a Japanese actress called Horikita.

So I've been watching all her stuff I can get my hands on.

What has this got to do with food?

During this, I came across 2 shows:

Kurosagi

Teppan Shojo Akane

Kurosagi

Well... I am really curious, in the episode between Horikita (Tsurara) and senpai no obaachan? what the bento is? They talk about cooking in chicken skin oil, but cooking what in it? It looks like rice but is it? What else would go in that? What are the other colorful elements?

Teppan Shojo Akane

Well, she (Akane/Horikita) goes around the country a lot, using different ingredients. Is this a true reflection of Japan? (i.e. is crabs and potatoes really better in Hokkaido, and bream better in Akashi) If I were to go on a culinary trip, should these ingredients be the focus of my tasting in each region?

Edited by jkim (log)

Well I've recently become a fan of a Japanese actress called Horikita.

So I've been watching all her stuff I can get my hands on.

What has this got to do with food?

During this, I came across 2 shows:

Kurosagi

Teppan Shojo Akane

Kurosagi

Well... I am really curious, in the episode between Horikita (Tsurara) and senpai no obaachan? what the bento is?  They talk about cooking in chicken skin oil, but cooking what in it?  It looks like rice but is it?  What else would go in that? What are the other colorful elements?

Teppan Shojo Akane

Well, she (Akane/Horikita) goes around the country a lot, using different ingredients.  Is this a true reflection of Japan? (i.e. is crabs and potatoes really better in Hokkaido, and bream better in Akashi)  If I were to go on a culinary trip, should these ingredients be the focus of my tasting in each region?

Do you remember the number of that episode of Kurosagi?

As for the second question, do you mean that you want to know if every region in Japan has its own specialities?? If so, the answer is yes. Is that feature pecular to Japan?? For example, my city is famous for its premium Koshihikari rice. Akashi is also famous for its octopuses. Hokkaido is famous for its seafood, potatoes, and dairy products, among others.

Do you remember the number of that episode of Kurosagi?

As for the second question, do you mean that you want to know if every region in Japan has its own specialities??  If so, the answer is yes.  Is that feature pecular to Japan??  For example, my city is famous for its premium Koshihikari rice.  Akashi is also famous for its octopuses.  Hokkaido is famous for its seafood, potatoes, and dairy products, among others.

1. The episode of Kurosagi is ep. 9. Tsurara (Horikita) and the grandma discuss cooking and later is revealed that the senpai's grandmother is actually a food writer or something.

2. No. I know each and every region of the world has their own specialties and delicacies. What I am asking is whether the specialties that were mentioned in Teppan Shojo Akane are accurate for Japan and thus can be used as a guide when visiting? Or that they are fictional and I should look elsewhere to find the regional specialties?

Those that were mentioned (from memory) are as follows:

Shimonoseki - fugu.

Hokkaido - crab and potato.

Akashi - bream.

Yokohama - lobster.

Where is your city? and when it is famous for rice, what dish would be best in having that will be memorable for that particular rice?

Another Horikita episode... 070625 episode of SMAP...

I couldn't find a subtitled feed, so I have no idea what they are saying.

Is that Kimchi soup? And why are they spooning it over the burger?

If not, then what is it?

Do they say what the recipes for those food is?