• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking shows in Japan

Jason Perlow

dochi no ryouri came back! maybe just for one episode but I caught it and was excited. anyone know if they are planning more comebacks?

I watched the show, too, and found it interesting and fun, as usual. I did some googling, but failed to find any relevant information about future comebacks. At this point, I can only say that it was just a one-time, new year special.

You can at least leave a message here. I browsed through this bulletin board and found some messages in English and Chinese.

For those of you who missed the show, the Sekiguchi kitchen made three Japanese dishes, buri (yellowtail) teriyaki, niku-jaga (meat and potato stew), and butaniku no shouga yaki (pork fried with ginger juice), while the Miyaki kitchen made three Chinese dishes, Ise(!) lobster chili sauce, gyoza, and mopo tofu. Sekiguchi won. Link to the new year special

• 2 weeks later...

i've been lucky enough to find a few new dotch cooking show episodes online. i love them! i like how the crowd gets whipped into a frenzy as the cooking progresses.

the host who stands on the right, was he ever on "next stop discovery" or similar show? i recognize him...

album of the moment: Kelley Polar - I Need You To Hold On While The Sky Is Falling - 2008

i've been lucky enough to find a few new dotch cooking show episodes online. i love them! i like how the crowd gets whipped into a frenzy as the cooking progresses.

the host who stands on the right, was he ever on "next stop discovery" or similar show? i recognize him...

Do you mean the one on the right here? His name is Yuji Miyake. I don't know because I don't watch much TV, but that's probable because he's popular.

• 2 months later...

While not a food show per se, I did enjoy the drama-comedy series Haikei Chichiue-sama. Very tastefully done and set in a traditional ryotei in Kagurazaka, Tokyo.

One of my very first jobs in Japan was in Kagurazaka, so some of the scenes brought back a lot of memories. There were quite a few shots that included the famous Gojyuban nikuman (steamed buns) found up the hill in Kagurazaka. I certainly ingested my share of them when I worked in the area. The buns are huge.

http://www.50ban.com/

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

• 1 month later...

Docchi no Ryouri, Kuitan, Haikei, Chichiuesama --thanks for the recommendations. I'll be looking for these online...

Hiroyuki - just finished reading your wonderful blog!. Since the topic is now locked, I'll sneak a quick thank you here... :smile:

BTW - has anyone seen the Movie

I really enjoyed it... and was very hungry. Edited by Cheeko (log)

My family are huge fans of Kuitan.  It's not a cooking show but a drama, and it's hard not to love it.  It's both fun and educational.

Why not indulge in watching it and other episodes?

Another thanks for mentioning this. I'll probably watch it once all of the episodes have aired.

My wife has also been pining to watch Bambino!, which is also airing currently.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

My family are huge fans of Kuitan.  It's not a cooking show but a drama, and it's hard not to love it.  It's both fun and educational.

Why not indulge in watching it and other episodes?

I love Kuitan! The croquette episode from season 1 just aired last week on TV Japan. :smile:

I also watch Shokusai Roman where celebrities cook. In the US, it airs after the history drama on Sundays everyone! If anyone subscribes to TV Japan.

• 3 months later...

For those living in Japan, here is another TV drama whose theme is shokuiku (food education): Obanzai. It started on September 3, and is aired from 1:30 to 2:00 p.m. on TBS on Monday through Friday. I watched it today, and found it was funny and informative.

Edited by Hiroyuki (log)

I learned yesterday that Tabegoro Manma (aired from 6:30 to 7:00 p.m. on Saturday) will feature my city, Minami Uonuma city, next Saturday (Sept. 29).

Don't miss it!

I can't wait to see it!

I just set my DVD recorder (DVR) to record it so I make sure I don't miss it.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

recently the anime version of the famous gourmet manga Oishinbo has been broadcasting weekday mornings at around 8:30 on channel 19 in the Kansai area. I arrange my whole morning routine around it. I've read more than 50 volumes of the manga and the anime version is more of less exactly the same. after Iron Chef it is probably my favorite "cooking" show.

I learned yesterday that Tabegoro Manma (aired from 6:30 to 7:00 p.m. on Saturday) will feature my city, Minami Uonuma city, next Saturday (Sept. 29).

Don't miss it!

I just watched it!

I can't believe I was drooling over rice!! :biggrin: I only wish that had focused more on other local foods as well instead of showing foods from all over Japan to be eaten with the rice...

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Don't miss it!

I just watched it!

I can't believe I was drooling over rice!! :biggrin: I only wish that had focused more on other local foods as well instead of showing foods from all over Japan to be eaten with the rice...

Thank you for watching it. :smile: And, you are quite right. There are some interesting local foods like kagura nanban...

On NHK Channel 1, they will feature Rosanjin on October 3, 22:00 to 22:43 p.m., in a TV show called Sono Toki Rekishi ga Ugoita.

http://www.nhk.or.jp/sonotoki/sonotoki_yotei.html

• 1 month later...
For those living in Japan, here is another TV drama whose theme is shokuiku (food education):  Obanzai.  It started on September 3, and is aired from 1:30 to 2:00 p.m. on TBS on Monday through Friday.  I watched it today, and found it was funny and informative.

Just when Obanzai was over, Oishii Gohan started. I like the drama, though its theme is not food education. You'll understand that steaming hot rice symbolizes happiness and bliss in Japan.

• 1 month later...

I love Iron Chef so much. I used to watch it in San Francisco when they would rebroadcast TokyoTV when I was young. I learned a lot of Japanese from watching it. Admittedly only food words :raz: . I have seen every single episode thanks to the internet. Needless to say it made a big impression on me. It exposed me to so many techniques and ingredients. I have a notebook somewhere where I took notes on episodes I watched in Japanese. Then they started airing it on the Food Network so I was able to watch the early episodes. Most educational show ever!

Today, I watched two very interesting TV programs. The one is "Kyo-Ryori, Ugoku" (Kyoto Cuisine, Moving) on channel 6 (TBS), from 8:00 a.m., which featured Yoshihiro Murata, the chef-and-owner of Kikunoi. The other is "Bi no Tsubo" (Point of Beauty?) on channel 1 (NHK) from 11:00 a.m. which featured sushi. If you missed the latter and want to watch it, you can watch a rerun tomorrow (Jan. 4) from 10:00 p.m. A reproduction of edomae zushi in the Edo period, much bigger than the contemporary one, was impressive.

The big news is that the Jan. 8th edition of "Professional Shigoto no Ryugi", to be aired from 22:00 to 22:45, features Jiro Ono, the chef and owner of a three-star sushi shop. Joel Robuchon eats his sushi. Don't miss it!

http://www.nhk.or.jp/professional/schedule/index.html

You can view a preview by clicking 次回予告・MOVIEはこちら>>> in red letters.

The big news is that the Jan. 8th edition of "Professional Shigoto no Ryugi", to be aired from 22:00 to 22:45, features Jiro Ono, the chef and owner of a three-star sushi shop. 

Hiroyuki

Thanks so much for this, I hope I don't forget, I have a couple of books about Jiro Ono.

The Edo mae program was very also interesting.

Also a bit late but the Oishimbo drama in November was absolutely fabulous. Lots of very interesting food ideas and great direction, I think it was the best adaptation of a manga or anime I've ever seen.

• 1 month later...

Did anyone watch the Feb. 5th episode of Professional Shigoto no Ryugi on NHK channel 1?

It featured Shuzo Kishida, 33, the youngest three-star chef. I recorded the program and watched it yesterday, and I was impressed. When he roasts meat, he puts it in the oven for one minute, takes it out, and places it on a hot location (above the stove?) for five minutes. He repeats these steps for two and a half hours!

I watched it. It was a pretty good program. I wish they spent more time on his tools. It left me wanting to know more about how he made the money to open his own restaurant, what visa he was on in France, and how long he studied French language and cooking. When you use such top quality ingredients and you know all the best producers and distributors it is no wonder that he is so highly praised. How do you build a network like that! Obviously I'm a little jealous but it was also pretty motivating to see such a young chef at a high level.