• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bad cooking

rajsuman

It's funny that I never thought about this until I had to eat at a distant relative's place recently. Most of the time, if I'm really hungry, I'll even eat things I really, really hate. And if the food is badly cooked, I can at least appreciate the effort. But this time the food was unpalatable. I've never eaten such badly cooked food or seen such indifference towards cooking the food. There was no thought, no care, no love put into the cooking and it really, really showed. The vegetables were water-logged, the dal was gloopy, the rice was badly cooked. And it wasn't even some difficult, fancy stuff - just ordinary,everyday fare. Most beginner cooks could do better than that. The cook in question must really hate cooking to murder food like that.

Anybody with similar experiences?

It's funny that I never thought about this until I had to eat at a distant relative's place recently. Most of the time, if I'm really hungry, I'll even eat things I really, really hate. And if the food is badly cooked, I can at least appreciate the effort. But this time the food was unpalatable. I've never eaten such badly cooked food or seen such indifference towards cooking the food. There was no thought, no care, no love put into the cooking and it really, really showed. The vegetables were water-logged, the dal was gloopy, the rice was badly cooked. And it wasn't even some difficult, fancy stuff - just ordinary,everyday fare. Most beginner cooks could do better than that. The cook in question must really hate cooking to murder food like that.

Anybody with similar experiences?

no, but i'm telling your relatives

It's funny that I never thought about this until I had to eat at a distant relative's place recently. ...... The cook in question must really hate cooking to murder food like that.

Are you sure ? :blink: maybe they cooked to make you squirm ? It happens, when people are mean.

anil

Bad cooking = Mughlai food

Ok, let me rephrase that a bit more charitably. Bad cooking = Mughlai food the way it is cooked most of the time. I think there are few types of cooking so easily cooked badly. The use of masalas, cream, cashew paste, dried fruits and nuts, etc are all an invitation to cooks to overdose on them and cover up the taste of the basic food being cooked. The result can be unspeakably vile.

Vikram

The cook in question must really hate cooking to murder food like that.

It sounds more like apathy to me. The worst food I've ever had wasn't made by people who hated cooking, it was made people who just didn't care.

I have to admit that it's been a while since I've eaten poorly cooked food. For me food is so important a bad meal can ruin a day, or more, so I go to great lengths to avoid questionable food. This translates into very little eating out, either at restaurants, friends or relatives. Especially relatives :)

It's funny that I never thought about this until I had to eat at a distant relative's place recently. ...... The cook in question must really hate cooking to murder food like that.

Are you sure ? :blink: maybe they cooked to make you squirm ? It happens, when people are mean.

Rajsuman,

Looks like these guys were not very happy to host you. Their mantra seems to be "Serve them bad food and they will never come back again.."

???

I am curious to know though, what was the very next meal you ate to cover up the loss???

Bad cooking = Mughlai food

I have been trying to figure this out for years. I have come to the conclusion that since muslims use so much meat they tend to not concentrate on cooking vegetables very well. So.........that must be why.

Once I went to an Ameen party, and the menu consisted of 9 types of meat preparations, and one lonely dish of sliced onions, and a pile of roti.

For me there was nothing to eat but onions and bread. After that I learned to have lunch before going to such parties :) :unsure: