• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Texas Gluttony

chefrodrigo

Day1

The day of the Holy Trinity. Starting in Austin with a plate of migas at Mi Madres. We both used to live down the street from this place.

i4850.jpg

After a quick trip to central market we hit the road to College Station with a quick stop in Elgin for some meat at Crosstown bbq. The sausage was good but we plan on hitting Southside Market on the way home for a comparison.

i4851.jpg

As you can see Elgin is a pretty live spot

i4855.jpg

After lunch we needed a break so we sat on the porch at Duddley's in College Station with several chuggers of Shiner Bock(which ain't what it used to be).

i4854.jpg

And to finish the Holy Trinity we went to the County Inn in Sommerville for a chicken fried steak and one of the finest I've ever had.

i4853.jpg

i4852.jpg

We'll be back with updates on day2.

Rodney/Kyle

We started the day with a proper breakfast after way too many chuggers of Shiner Bock. Menudo at our favorite Mexican restaurant Tampico in Bryan.

i4905.jpg

For lunch we stayed in Bryan and went to a great soul food restaurant named Shannons Cafe. We had some really nice beef tips and stewed pork ribs.

i4906.jpg

For dinner we drove out to Rockdale for bbq at No Teeth BBQ. You people from Austin need to make the drive out there. Wallace Brandyburg makes some fine brisket and ribs smoked over mesquite. Make sure you have some of his special hot sauce and when he tells you its hot believe him. Also ask him how he got his name.

i4907.jpg

Tomorrow we head to Laredo to stay away from the crowds at the food festival. We are going to beat you bus people to Luling and Gonzales though.

More updates to come.

Rodney/Kyle

For dinner we drove out to Rockdale for bbq at No Teeth BBQ. You people from Austin need to make the drive out there. Wallace Brandyburg makes some fine brisket and ribs smoked over mesquite. Make sure you have some of his special hot sauce and when he tells you its hot believe him. Also ask him how he got his name.

Is that "You need no teeth to eat my beef" Wallace?

In Laredo, eat at El Rincon.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

DAY 3

We spent most of the day driving. Fortunately we were driving thru Luling and Gonzales to get to Laredo.

You know that you are surrounded by greatness the minute you step in the door at Luling City Market. We tried to order a reasonable amount, we failed, since we knew that we would be eating again in 30 minutes.

Sorry but the camera was running out of batteries and we were working against the clock. I guess we'll just have to go back.

i4939.jpg

Luling City Market- Brisket, Pork Ribs and Sausage.

We didn't talk much during this meal. It was definitely the best meal of the trip so far.

After Luling we drove to Gonzales which is about 30 miles from Luling. We went to the Gonzales Food Market for some of their "Come and Take It" sausage. When we were standing in line we noticed they also had lamb spare ribs which is becoming one of our favorites. The sausage was a little spicier and a little more fat content than Luling. We weren't complaining.

i4940.jpg

After Gonzales we drove thru some flash flooding and hail on the road to Laredo. We met our friends, Sean and Donna, in Encinal and then headed across the border for some drinks and snacks. More to come on Day 4.

Rodney/Kyle

DAY 5

We spent the day in Nuevo Laredo and started off with a snack at La Unica with tostadas and flautas. That's the only choices they have.

i4992.jpg

Then we wandered around some markets and supermarkets. We had a few drinks and then started to get ready for dinner at El Rincon. Jaymes you were right on about this place.

i4994.jpg

Here is a shot from the entrance

i4995.jpg

This was the parillada for 2 + cabrito al pastor. The parillada itself came with grilled beef ribs, sweetbreads, chicken, skirt steak, and chorizo. Our mostly vegetarian friend Sean really enjoyed the sweetbreads.

Today we start heading north to get back to bbq territory. First stop Pleasonton just south of San Antonio. More updates to come.

Rodney/Kyle

First question... How does a "mostly vegetarian" friend deal with this romp? :raz:

Second question... What started this odyssey? Tell us a story.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

First question... How does a "mostly vegetarian" friend deal with this romp? :raz:

Second question... What started this odyssey? Tell us a story.

Question1- Sean is always looking for excuses to eat meat and is easily corruptible. He only had to deal with us for 2 days.

Question2- We are going to be starting a business in Portland next month and this is the last chance we'll have to get out of town and do this for a long time. We've been wanting to do a bbq tour for a while. There will be more of a story to tell at the end of the trip.

Today was another day of mostly travelling. We left Laredo on our way back to Bryan and stopped in Pleasonton, just south of San Antonio, on the way.

Pleasonton is the home of McBees BBQ and it was right up there with some of the better stuff we've had. The brisket really stood out here with a nice dark crust and very tender meat. We had our first pork chops here to. They were good but were cooked individually and not as a whole roast and we prefer it the other way.

The sausage had a really nice squirt when the lady cut it for us.

i5007.jpg

Beef brisket, sausage, pork chops, and pork ribs

i5008.jpg

They also had some nice old pits

Tomorrow we head back to Austin. Next week we hit some of the big ones.

More to come

Rodney/Kyle

We started making our way back to Austin from Bryan and made our way thru Taylor to stop at Louie Mueller's. Mueller's was one of the top 5 in Texas Monthly.

i5084.jpg

You get a choice of lean or moist brisket and we took moist. We also ordered 2 links of regular sausage and 2 links of jalapeno sausage. The brisket was tender, smokey, and had a nice crust but didn't stand out above some others. Never the less it was a fine piece of beef. The clear winner of the day was the jalapeno sausage. It had a great jalapeno flavor but was not overly spicy. We went back for some ribs but, unfortunately, they were having an off day.

i5083.jpg

Our next stop is Smitty's in Lockhart. This will be our first time at Smitty's and we are definitely looking forward to it.

More updates to come

Rodney/Kyle

At Smitty's: Park in the back parking lot and walk in through the back door. That's how all the "reglers" do it. And tour the building. It's like the holy temple of smoked meat in Texas.

Oh, and while you're in Lockhart, in addition to Smitty's and Kreuz's, be sure to try the brisket at Black's.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Today we had the best bbq of the trip so far at Smitty's in Lockhart.

i5102.jpg

We ordered fat brisket, pork chops, and sausage. Everything was perfect. The brisket had the perfect texture. The pork chops were smokey, tender, and juicy. The sausage was as good as any on the trip so far.

i5101.jpg

Due to gorging ourselves at Smitty's and since we used to always eat at Kreuz we decided to just have the one meal.

Tomorrow we head to Coopers in Mason. We'll see about Llano on the way home.

Rodney/Kyle

Those are too beautiful. Texas is always in my mind's eye when I smoke anything.I am with fifi wholeheartedly about the CFS; that nearly made me plan a trip to Texas...I'm glad you got that photo of the menu as well, for most people do not believe it when you tell them about the size of a Texas steak. Believe it!

If you are going to indulge and fall off the veggiewagon, sweetbreads are an excellent temptation :biggrin:

Edited by Mabelline (log)

Motherf*er! I thought I was a barbecue fanatic. Grew up in Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina & Georgia -- I can tell what kind of barbecue you like just by the way you order your tea. But, damn, you guys are serious. I'll even let slide the delusion that hot cow in any way constitutes barbecue. This road trip is the most vicarious fun I've had since I first saw Deep Throat on Super8 projected against a bedsheet.

Carry on, boys. The rest of us will ride drag and take notes.

Chad

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

The photos are exquisite.

I agree! I have to tell you, I drove chefrodrigo to the airport for Texas & was sulking the whole way knowing what feasts lay in store for him & Kyle without me (boo hoo). After about 3 days of looking at their photos, I was calling him a motherf*er too. I have since broke down and yes have bought an unplanned for ticket to join them for the tail end of their BBQ trail.

Yippy!

Question2- We are going to be starting a business in Portland next month and this is the last chance we'll have to get out of town and do this for a long time.  We've been wanting to do a bbq tour for a while.  There will be more of a story to tell at the end of the trip.

Me thinks you may be opening a BBQ joint in Portland? Lord knows they need one.

Thanks for the great pictures and for making me very hungry :smile: