• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making Limoncello

Mulcahy

• 5 weeks later...

Hello, and thanks for all your comments on my Limoncello question..  

So, as an extension to this general topic (please let me know if I need to start a new thread for this), I wanted to ask your opinions on how long I should let the vodka and lemon zest sit given I DID NOT use 100 proof but the 40%/80 proof stuff..  My question is...........what is the minimal amount of time for this to turn out well..  My significant other and I are pretty impatient.....:)

Thanks in advance any info on this....!

Try tasting what you have (by adding sugar and vodka or water). That said, I believe most people "rest" their lemoncello after its been made for quite a while. I make "Amer Boudreau", a homemade imitation of Amer Picon, and it definitely is better after it has rested in the bottle for a year. That said, I'm drinking the few-months-old batch right now because I ran out.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

Hello EvergreenDan, and thanks for your response back..

Please forgive, but I'm unsure what you are suggesting above..  Right now, I have the vodka and lemon zest together marrying..........and the sugar/water mix does not go in (according to my recipe anyway.........via Giada Laurentis) until the marinating has completed..  I'm just wondering how long I should allow this marinating to occur given the lower alcohol vodka I have used..

Thanks again to all info you guys can provide.... 

I think what he's saying is tasting it is the only trustworthy way to judge how the extraction is going, so you can mix up a little microbatch with what you have (a very small amount of your vodka mixture and proportional bits of sugar and water to get your taster to target sweetness and proof) and decide from there if it needs more time or not.

• Like 2

I used 80 proof when I made mine. I followed the instructions here which says "at least 2 weeks, until the peels look pale and the vodka is no longer gaining color or aroma". I didn't worry about additional time for difference in proof, I just started checking at the 2 week point and when I was satisfied nothing else was being gained, I continued with the production. I'm hoping there's no point of diminishing returns regarding shelf life, my batch made 1 1/2 750 ml bottles. I used the 1/2 bottle but the full bottle's been sitting unopened in my cabinet for close to 3 years.

Edit: correction - I just read the post in that linked discussion where I posted about making mine... it's been in the cabinet unopened for more like 6 years. Time flies...

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)
  • Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

• 11 months later...

Host's note: this refers to making Orangecello; two topics were merged.

I just ran across a recipe to make this.  Wow!  I have simply got to get started on it, it sounds amazing.

Recipe

Any suggestions as to where one would find a 64 oz. bottle (glass)?  Oh, never mind, just found a half gallon growler with lid on Amazon.

Edited by Smithy
Added host's note (log)

A number of people mentioned making orangecello/arancello over in the Limoncello topic.  Since the method is quite similar, you may find some helpful discussion over there.  

I only tried making a small batch of the orange version and ended up with a layer of orange oil on top - maybe because I used more peels than recommended.  The flavor was very nice though!

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I hope I didn't make too big a mistake with my Orangecello; I removed the half vanilla bean and, because I didn't check the recipe carefully enough I went ahead and drained the liquid and tossed the orange peels.  The recipe actually said to remove the bean and continue to steep the peels for another day or two.  Oops.  Had no option other than to plunge ahead so I added a cup of simple syrup to the mix and it's now in the fridge.  (I did take a taste of the mix after removing the bean but it was very harsh.)

I'll take another taste today to see what it's like now that it's finished and chilled.

• 3 years later...

IMG_5258.jpg.9770f04736a59f4ff48c10e9121799eb.jpg

My BIL just sent us 7 1/2 pounds of lemons from his garden in Phoenix.  I need to use them before they go bad.  I'm thinking lemoncello.  Do we have a tried and true, really good recipe for it somewhere.  The only thing I'm seeing is one for Meyer lemons, which these are not.  Thanks!  

Edited by Smithy
Corrected title spelling (log)
  • Like 1
  • Delicious 1

37 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

My BIL just sent us 7 1/2 pounds of lemons from his garden in Phoenix.  I need to use them before they go bad.  I'm thinking lemoncello.  Do we have a tried and true, really good recipe for it somewhere.  The only thing I'm seeing is one for Meyer lemons, which these are not.  Thanks!  

I use this guidance, shared by our dearly departed Limoncello Queen, @KatieLoeb

I've used regular Eureka lemons, Meyer lemons, limes, grapefruits and oranges. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Limoncello is easy, don't over think it.  I have a generic lemon tree in my backyard also.  Zest the lemons and soak the zest (no white pith!)  in the dark in a bottle of Everclear.    Cheap vodka will work also.  A month aging will do, but the end date is pretty wide open.   I sweeten it after it's done.    You can add cream to it and make the wonderful crema di limoncello also.

I've made orangecello.  I've made grapefruitcello also, but I don't recommend it since there is something in the GF zest that makes my tongue go numb.

Edited by lemniscate (log)
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I use this guidance, shared by our dearly departed Limoncello Queen, @KatieLoeb

I've used regular Eureka lemons, Meyer lemons, limes, grapefruits and oranges. 

Oh, this is great, @blue_dolphin!  I was SO hoping to find something from Katie!  I must have not done the right search!  

• Like 1

@Kim Shook 

Nice !

do not be in a big hurry

wipe them down so that they are 

sort of dry

then refrigerate them

an they will keep for some time

give's you more time to enjoy them

Meat , snf Pith etc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

keep the juce

in its original 

container 

util you 

decide

after all

try one unit

krpmyjrmslin s pitn

the think wbounit 

nd try two 

etc

4 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

So, my next question is what the heck do I do with the juice from a dozen lemons?  

Freeze it in ice cube trays. Decant frozen cubes into Ziploc bag. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Freeze it in cubes or : super-saturate it with sugar and make a lemon syrup for drinks and adding to dessert recipes or over fruit:  or : make lemon curd : or : can it in pint jars for easy storage : or : mix it with white distilled vinegar to make a household lemon scented cleaner...........................

• Thanks 1

I make it with or without zest.  Just omit the zest in any recipe if you don't have zest.  I actually like curd better without zest.   Lemon curd is still lemony without zest.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

I make it with or without zest.  Just omit the zest in any recipe if you don't have zest.  I actually like curd better without zest.   Lemon curd is still lemony without zest.

Something just occurred to me and made me laugh.  In trying to use up lemons, I found a recipe that resulted in excess juice.  In trying to find a recipe to use up the juice, I will use my favorite curd recipe that will result in excess egg whites.  So, I'll make an angel food cake to use up the whites.  LOLOLOLOL  From lemons to booze to curd to cake.  They will all go together beautifully. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

In trying to find a recipe to use up the juice, I will use my favorite curd recipe that will result in excess egg whites. 

LOL.  I actually use whole eggs in my curd, like this recipe.  I think I get my excess egg whites from making egg nog.  Then I make Munavalgekook cake.   

• Thanks 1

• Similar Content

• By daniel123456789876543
      I have been making pancetta for the first time. I have experience with the curing process doing things like bacon and cold smoked salmon in the past but this is the first time I have ever hanged anything.

After a week of curing it has had 11 days  hanging so far (I was planning on taking it to 28 days hanging) Although I foolishly forgot to weigh it. 
      It smells really good like some awesome salami and the outer rim of the pancetta looks lovely and rich and dark.
      It was a recipe by Kuhlman in one of their charcuterie books.
      But when I inspected it today it had the mould growing on it as in the pics below. I have since scrubbed the mould off with white wine vinegar and returned it to the cellar. Is it wise to continue?

Daniel

• By shain
      Makes 40 cookies, 2 loaves. 

50-60 g very aromatic olive oil
      80 g honey 
      120 to 150 g sugar (I use 120 because I like it only gently sweet) 
      2 eggs
      2 teaspoons of fine lemon zest, from apx 1 lemon 
      230 g flour 
      1 teaspoon salt 
      1 teaspoon baking powder 
      75 g lightly toasted peeled pistachios
      50 g lightly toasted almonds (you can replace some with pine nuts) 
      Optional: a little rosemary or anise seed
      Optional: more olive oil for brushing

Heat oven to 170 deg C.
      In mixer (or by hand), mix oil, honey, sugar, lemon, egg and if desired, the optional spices - until uniform. 
      Separately mix together the flour, salt and baking powder. 
      Add flour mixture to mixer bowel with liquids and fold until uniform. Dough will be sticky and quite stiff. Don't knead or over mix. 
      Add nuts and fold until well dispersed. 
      On a parchment lined baking tray, create two even loaves of dough. 
      With moist hands, shape each to be rectangular and somewhat flat - apx 2cm heigh, 6cm wide and 25cm long. 
      Bake 25 to 30 minutes until golden and baked throughout, yet somewhat soft and sliceable. Rotate pan if needed for even baking. 
      Remove from tray and let chill slightly or completely. 
      Using a sharp serrated knife, gently slice to thin 1/2 cm thick cookies. Each loaf should yield 20 slices. 
      Lay slices on tray and bake for 10 minutes. Flip and bake for another 10-15 minutes until complelty dry and lightly golden. 
      Brush with extra olive oil, if desired. This will and more olive flavor. 
      Let chill completely before removing from tray. 
      Cookies keep well in a closed container and are best served with desert wines or herbal tea. 

• By psantucc
      My own recipe, though influenced by many sources.
      Santucci's Practical Torrone (Christmas Nougat)
      180g honey (½ cup)
      100g egg whites (2 eggs)
      350g sugar (1 ½ cups)
      50g water (2 tablespoons)
      450g (1 pound) roasted nuts
      5-10 drops orange oil
      2 sheets (8 ½” x 11”) Ostia (aka wafer, edible paper)
      Combine honey, water, and sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to the boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Skim foam (if any is seen) off the honey when it reaches the boil.
      In a stand mixer, whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
      Cook the honey mixture to 280° F (137° C). Remove from the heat. With the mixer on high speed, slowly pour the mixture into the egg whites. Continue to whisk until volume has increased by about half and the mixture just starts to lose gloss – only about 5 minutes.
      Reduce the mixer speed and add the orange oil and nuts. When they are thoroughly mixed in, spread the resulting nougat over a sheet of Ostia. Try to cover the sheet as evenly as possible- the nougat is sticky and will make things difficult. When it is evenly covered, top with the other sheet of Ostia.
      Leave to cool and crystallize completely in the open air before cutting, preferably overnight.
      Note: I call this 'practical' Torrone because the recipe is made for home confectioners of reasonable skill to be able to easily understand what and how much to buy and what to do with it. The ingredient portions are biased for my country, the USA, but I saw no point in using English ounces for the weight-based version – those of us who prefer weight generally prefer it in grams.
      Tips and tricks:
      1.Keep nuts in a warm oven ( about 150° F / 65° C ) until you add them. Adding room temperature or colder nuts will reduce working time.
      2.Getting the nougat spread between sheets of Ostia is the trickiest part of the process. I use buttered caramel rulers on the outside edges of the bottom sheet, pour and press nougat in place, and then press the top layer on with an offset spatula. If you don't have caramel rulers, try spreading the nougat with an offset spatula, topping with the other sheet, and rolling with a pin to smooth. I advise against trying to cast the slab in any kind of fixed side pan, as the stickiness will make it very difficult to remove.
      3.Score the top layer of Ostia before cutting through. Once scored, a straight down cut with a Chef's knife works well. Cut into six 8 1/2” long bars and wrap in parchment or waxed paper to store, then cut into smaller rectangles to serve.
      4.There are many possible alternate flavorings. 1-10 Lemon oil or 1 t. (5 ml) vanilla or almond extract work well and are traditional flavors. Candied orange peel and/or orange zest can also be added.
      5.I use half pistachio and half almonds as the nuts. Hazelnuts (filberts) are also traditional. Any common nut should work.
      6.Ostia is available from confectionery suppliers. I get 8-1/2” x 11” sheets from www.sugarcraft.com under the name 'wafer paper'.
      This recipe is copyright 2009 by Patrick J. Santucci. Contact the author on eGullet under the username psantucc.
    • By Paul Bacino
      1 C Northern Beans soaked over-night in
      4-6C Water or Chxn Stock
      1/2 t Cayenne Pepper
      1//2 t Granulated garlic
      1 twig Dried oregano-- dried from last yr
      2 Bay
      pinch of salt ( yes ) and few pepper corns
      in the Morning; All into the Slow Cooker for 5 hrs. ( Crock Pot )
      I removed half the liquor and added chicken stock here back in . to this I added diced cooked Italian sausage about 1 whole .. simmer in a pot.. I transferred to... then add 1/2 head of shopped chicory ( curly endive ) finish cooking 15 mins
      cheers
      Most measurements again are from feel