• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

We all agreed that it was tasty but needed a little tweaking.  It needed more lemon flavor – not sure if that means a few extra days steeping or more lemon zest.  Any suggestions? 

A lot of recipes say to let the ingredients "marry" for about a week or so after sweetening so I'd recommend that you taste it again in a week and see if that affects the burn you are tasting.  I generally use an inexpensive 151 proof vodka for the initial extraction and don't have an issue with the harshness after it's been diluted and rested a while. 

It looks like you used a microplane to zest the the lemons, I don't think you need more than a month for the extraction, though you could try.  I've done all sorts of things when I forgot a batch!

It's possible that the missing lemon flavor is really tartness so you could also try squeezing a little wedge of lemon into your glass to see what you think.  I'm sure it's not at all traditional but I like the addition of the fresh flavor.  

And your glasses are perfection!

Edited to add that this recipe from Kathy Casey's book Sips & Apps is a delicious use of limoncello in a cocktail.

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

51 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

We all agreed that it was tasty but needed a little tweaking.  It needed more lemon flavor – not sure if that means a few extra days steeping or more lemon zest.  Any suggestions? 

A lot of recipes say to let the ingredients "marry" for about a week or so after sweetening so I'd recommend that you taste it again in a week and see if that affects the burn you are tasting.  I generally use an inexpensive 151 proof vodka for the initial extraction and don't have an issue with the harshness after it's been diluted and rested a while. 

It looks like you used a microplane to zest the the lemons, I don't think you need more than a month for the extraction, though you could try.  I've done all sorts of things when I forgot a batch!

It's possible that the missing lemon flavor is really tartness so you could also try squeezing a little wedge of lemon into your glass to see what you think.  I'm sure it's not at all traditional but I like the addition of the fresh flavor.  

And your glasses are perfection!