• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook

I used 80 proof when I made mine. I followed the instructions here which says "at least 2 weeks, until the peels look pale and the vodka is no longer gaining color or aroma". I didn't worry about additional time for difference in proof, I just started checking at the 2 week point and when I was satisfied nothing else was being gained, I continued with the production. I'm hoping there's no point of diminishing returns regarding shelf life, my batch made 1 1/2 750 ml bottles. I used the 1/2 bottle but the full bottle's been sitting unopened in my cabinet for close to 3 years.

Edit: correction - I just read the post in that linked discussion where I posted about making mine... it's been in the cabinet unopened for more like 6 years. Time flies...

Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook

I used 80 proof when I made mine. I followed the instructions here which says "at least 2 weeks, until the peels look pale and the vodka is no longer gaining color or aroma". I didn't worry about additional time for difference in proof, I just started checking at the 2 week point and when I was satisfied nothing else was being gained, I continued with the production. I'm hoping there's no point of diminishing returns regarding shelf life, my batch made 1 1/2 750 ml bottles. I used the 1/2 bottle but the full bottle's been sitting unopened in my cabinet for close to 3 years.