• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Houston Chronicle's Whine and Dine

FoodMan

A follow up this week to the W&D of a couple of weeks ago complaining about getting hit for a double tip.  The diner has reviewed his credit card statement and it turns out the restaurant only ran through a 20% tip, so somebody at the Bistro Le Cep had his back.

You beat me to it. I am not sure if the W&D article had anything to do with the restaurant not charging him the extra 20% though. They just did the decent thing right off the bat and never charged it. If they did he would've seen a credit of 20% on his bill.

I also have to agree with the whine about Lupe's Tortillas this week. I just do not get it. Their fajitas ARE very good, but nothing you canot find at many Houston restaurants like Pappasito's or Guadalajara or Gringo's. So why are patrons of LT so willing to endure long waits and less than expemplary service (which LT is proud of) to eat their grilled meats? The location on Hwy6 and 59 just opened a couple of weeks ago and you cannot set foot in the joint without an extended wait!

Is it just me?

No, I agree, the restaurant never charged him 20% like he thought they did. He is mea culpaing and taking back his complaint as moot.

The people I know who most favor LT are couples with kids. The kids use the play area and the parents have margaritas. It's one of the reasons I avoid it.

You would have to take me at gunpoint to any LTs. Places like that make parents think that they can "turn off" and let the kids run wild but also the misspelling of words on the menu to sound like stereotyped Mexican-speak is shockingly offensive. The first time I was ever there I opened a menu and couldn't believe what I was reading!

You would have to take me at gunpoint to any LTs.  Places like that make parents think that they can "turn off" and let the kids run wild but also the misspelling of words on the menu to sound like stereotyped Mexican-speak is shockingly offensive.  The first time I was ever there I opened a menu and couldn't believe what I was reading!

Yeah forgot about that! (the menu wording), probably because I've only been there once a long time ago. It is beyond cheesy.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

• 1 month later...

Today's W&D:

So someone went to Niko Niko's AND ordered fried calamary!!! AND complained that it is bad?

I did not even know they serve calamari at this great Greek dining spot. If it does not come from a lamb, I probably would not order it here :wink:

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

It is like ordering fries at a chinese restaurant...why....  ooo..... why!!!

I tried nikko about a year ago.......is was ok, i did like the atmosphere though.

Do you like their food, foodman? I did try one of their sweets and that was good!

I actually love their food, especially the gyros, the awsome lemony rice soup and that huge sampler platter they have with all kinds of stuff in it. Oh, and the yellow potatoes :smile: .

Never had their sweets though.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Although I have never tried them I have heard that the fried shrimp is good.

The yellow potato and french fries are damn good as well.

The "famous" pork chop is not that great IMO.

It is like ordering fries at a chinese restaurant...why....  ooo..... why!!!

I tried nikko about a year ago.......is was ok, i did like the atmosphere though.

Do you like their food, foodman? I did try one of their sweets and that was good!

I actually love their food, especially the gyros, the awsome lemony rice soup and that huge sampler platter they have with all kinds of stuff in it. Oh, and the yellow potatoes :smile: .

You gotta have their honey balls then.

There can never be anything wrong with fried batter, powdered sugar, and honey.

I will say that I did have their calimari once, and though I'd probably never have it again because I've had better, I don't remember it being all that bad. Just nothing special.

Souvlaki platter with fries is normally what I have. Though during the winter, their chicken soup is good.

Oh, and honey balls.

If you're not a fan of fried desserts, my friend who always goes with me swears by the rice pudding. I've never had it.

Edited by tetsujustin (log)

fried batter "balls" smothered in rosewater syrup is a favorite Lebanese dessert called "aawaimat" (floaters) or "Lokmmat el Kadi" (judge's food bit). SO I am sure a Greek version topped of with honey is more than acceptable :wink:. I'll give it a shot next time around.

Now, how about that guy who actually tried all the Gelato recommendations? I was actually impressed that he did.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

• 2 months later...

The first Diner in today's W&D is in love with PF Chang's. Why you ask? They got free food for a Bday, the waitress was nice, oh and the manager was a friendly Aggie :hmmm: . What about the food you say? Well, Mr. Phelps does not comment about this "Chinese" version of the Olive Garden's cuisine. Maybe I am a little tough on PFC, but I truly think unless you live in the middle of nowhere where the only likeness to Chinese food are their "garlic noodles" then no one should go there. I mean this is Houston, we have so many awsome Chinese and other Asian restaurants. Then again people do not go to the Olive Garden to get great Italian food do they? I wonder if the one on 59 and Bissonet has a Cougar manager...rant over.

The second comment did make me chuckle though. The one about sticking a fork in his eye :smile:

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

The To Die For comment was good, I agree.

The requirements to make 98% of Chronicle Whine & Dine contributors happy when they eat out are: free food, huge portions, acknowledgement of birthday/anniversary (with free food), and some sort of proactive deferential behavior by the server/manager. That's why when some people complain about not having all of those in their "dining experience" and you don't read anything else about the actual food, (unless it's a chain), I almost want to go try that place because their priorities and target clientele might be more in line with what I like. Isn't this a snotty post? I admit it.

The requirements to make 98% of Chronicle Whine & Dine contributors happy when they eat out are: free food, huge portions, acknowledgement of birthday/anniversary (with free food), and some sort of proactive deferential behavior by the server/manager.  That's why when some people complain about not having all of those in their "dining experience" and you don't read anything else about the actual food, (unless it's a chain), I almost want to go try that place because their priorities and target clientele might be more in line with what I like.

Actually sounds more like a good entry to send to Whine and Dine :smile: . You're a previous contributor to them anyways.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

You're right! Two times actually, once complaining about allegedly good deals for free krap food for kids and once for complaining about another poster implying women love the flowers and linens part of the dining experience.

I should send in a fake review:

"The huge portions were to die for and we were very excited about being seated immediately. The server wore an Aggie pin and I was so put out until the manager made me feel better by comping my entire meal. I really appreciated the whole staff dropping everything to stand by my table and sing happy birthday to our 1 year old!"

• 3 weeks later...

I mentioned the absence of W&D to my wife last week. She told me the Chronicle had announced it was posting it only on their website. And they wonder why lfewer people read the paper.

"As far as I'm concerned, bacon comes from a magical, happy place" Frank, John Doe

It would be a HUGE loss. They will probably replace it with fake "news" where they put a regurgitated press release in for some new food or food product and write it up like it's an article. I feel like there are a ton of them in the HC.

The W&D served as a guide for me to know where NOT TO GO. Booo!

It would be a HUGE loss.  They will probably replace it with fake "news" where they put a regurgitated press release in for some new food or food product and write it up like it's an article.  I feel like there are a ton of them in the HC.

The W&D served as a guide for me to know where NOT TO GO.  Booo!

You mean you don't listen to readers like Gladys in Champions who says that readers wanting "an authentic taste" of Mexico should "run, don't walk" to Pancho's Mexican Buffet? :wink: