• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGullet Outing at Full Kee, Chinatown

How often do you guys do this? I can't make it this time, but I would like to get into the next one. Please let me know. Thanks

(Sitting for lamb chops)

Lamb: Ple-e-e-se Li-i-i-sa I thought you lo-o-o-oved me, lo-o-o-oved me

Marge: Whats Wrong Lisa? Cant get enough lamb chops?

Lisa: I can't eat this, I can't eat a poor little lamb.

Homer: Lisa get a hold yourself, that is lamb, not A lamb.

I can go either way, although I am looking forward to guidance from babka's friend.  Maybe we could do a few dishes off menu?

I'm with HillValley -- I think it's worth a phone call or a visit to see if there are any off-the-menu specials that need to be ordered in advance and picking two or three that can be shared among them that wants 'em. I'll even give it another go when I'm less rushed and less sober (sometimes beer is a communication aid) than I was on my last visit, but if babka's friend can do it for/with us, so much the better.

It's fun to follow the maps, but its nice to do a little culinary bushwacking, so to speak, if you have the chance. And who better to share your first bite of jellied ducks web with than your fellow eGulleters?

Clarity question: are Al and hj referring to "ordering items off of (from) the menu" while hv and I are considering ordering "off-menu (not listed on the menu)

items?"

Sorry, to clarify-- I meant from the menu as opposed to doing some sort of set dinner, but I'm certainly willing to join in on the "culinary bushwacking" and nibble on some camel hump or wolverine nipples and so forth.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

"Culinary bushwacking" sounds like fun! I am in favor of seeing if we can have them prepare some special items for the group and then ordering off the menu and sharing.

Wearing jeans to the best restaurants in town.

How often do you guys do this? I can't make it this time, but I would like to get into the next one. Please let me know. Thanks

As often as we want :wink: I'm sorry you can't join us this time, but we will start the peer pressure when our next gathering is planned.

We really should do a get together where we can show off our culinary skills, or lack there of. Maybe a picnic at Wolf Trap?

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

How often do you guys do this?  I can't make it this time, but I would like to get into the next one.  Please let me know.  Thanks

As often as we want :wink: I'm sorry you can't join us this time, but we will start the peer pressure when our next gathering is planned.

We really should do a get together where we can show off our culinary skills, or lack there of. Maybe a picnic at Wolf Trap?

You are such a scene-stealing b****! :raz:

Mrs. B and I were going to propose a picnic in Rock Creek Park at the dinner next week, for late June or July, with the idea that people could show off their cooking, bring their kids, and not have to spend a boatload of money.

Wolf Trap would be great, and I'd be interested in exploring it, but there are significant expense and logistical (not to mention musical taste) concerns.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Mrs. B and I were going to propose a picnic in Rock Creek Park at the dinner next week, for late June or July, with the idea that people could show off their cooking, bring their kids, and not have to spend a boatload of money.

That sounds like a great idea.

And I'm in for the culinary bushwhacking at Full Kee. I assume they have two menus?

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I suggested an embryonic eGDC event over on the New DeSales Street Restaurant thread.

So only pregnant women are invited? :blink:

Main Entry: em·bry·on·ic

Pronunciation: "em-brE-'ä-nik

Function: adjective

1 : of or relating to an embryo

2 : being in an early stage of development : INCIPIENT, RUDIMENTARY

I suggested an embryonic eGDC event over on the New DeSales Street Restaurant thread.

I'll be sure to send down Mrs JPW with plenty of pickels and chocolate.

:biggrin:

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

How often do you guys do this?  I can't make it this time, but I would like to get into the next one.  Please let me know.  Thanks

Wolf Trap would be great, and I'd be interested in exploring it, but there are significant expense and logistical (not to mention musical taste) concerns.

Once the "shakespear in the park" season starts, a Carter Baron ampitheater outing might be a fairly inexpensive and central option for folks. Just a thought.

Nah, just a control freak :wink:

I thought the Gipsy Kingswould be a good option.

I really like the idea of Carter Barron, but someone would have to get the tickets. Depending on the date I might be available to stand in line.

Carter Baron you are limited to 4 tix, I believe, so we'd have to have a bunch of line-standers. Also, one drawback to WT, CB or the Zoo to conside is that you can't talk during the performances. Or you shouldn't talk, anyway, so the hanging out aspect is diminished.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I really like the idea of Carter Barron, but someone would have to get the tickets. Depending on the date I might be available to stand in line.

We might get advance tickets. IIRC as donors we have some set aside for us, but it's generally a specific date, not just any date in the run. I'll check it out. The show this year is Much Ado About Nothing.

The Sunset Seranades are fun too.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I would be much more amenable to a gathering that did not center on a non-food-related cultural event that requires purchasing a ticket. I'm on a strict budget and almost all my cultural event bucks go to things at UMD, since my husband is a student there and we can get $5 tickets to anything at the Clarice Smith Center. :raz: Besides which there is always so much enjoyable gabbing at these eGullet things, it seems a shame to have to spend the whole time focusing on the performance instead of each other and the food.

Not that I'd stand in your way if ya'll planned something at WolfTrap/CarterBarron, but just a thought. Busboy did say he was thinking of those of us on a budget after all...

Malawry is absolutely right. I can't afford any of this. Picnics I can afford :smile:

Should I start a seperate thread?

Main Entry: em·bry·on·ic

Pronunciation: "em-brE-'ä-nik

Function: adjective

1 : of or relating to an embryo

2 : being in an early stage of development : INCIPIENT, RUDIMENTARY

just kiddin, man...

weird sense of humor, I know.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

The current list. Please let me know if I have left you off by mistake :wacko:

hillvalley

babka +1

hjshorter (maybe +1)

mdt +1

bilrus

Al Dente

busboy +1

malawry

hannah +1

turtleboy

eunny jang

DC Mark +1

If y'all want a cheat sheet on each other, I can put one together but I need advance warning.

Edited by hillvalley (log)

Yep, that's what I meant. It was very helpful for keeping all the Marks and Mikes apart, as well as putting handles and real names together.