• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGullet Outing at Full Kee, Chinatown

This sounds good to me too.

The picky eater is in as long as:

2.  That someone doesn't try to sneak in any stuff they know I won't eat. :blink:

If someone did do this we should have a camera ready so that we could document the reaction! :wink:

Wearing jeans to the best restaurants in town.

I vote for Full Key in Chinatown and we all have to order off the chinese language menu.

Excellent.

This has my vote too.

1. Someone agrees to be my tour guide, and

2. That someone doesn't try to sneak in any stuff they know I won't eat. :blink:

Come on...a little shredded jellyfish or tree fungus never hurt anyone.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I can't schedule exactly at this point, but it sounds good to me.

Don't worry Jen, I'll make sure that there is an appropriate receptacle nearby.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

This sounds good to me too.

2.  That someone doesn't try to sneak in any stuff they know I won't eat. :blink:

If someone did do this we should have a camera ready so that we could document the reaction! :wink:

Don't worry, I'll bring the vibrating camera :wink:

I'm not going!

Sorry, you don't have any say in the matter. If you must you can stick to the Hong Kong dumpling soup.

(Nobody tell her there's shrimp in it :biggrin: )

Okay, so we are on for Thursday, April 22 at the Full Key. Does 7 work? If we go much earlier I will probably be late.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Feel free to PM me if you are going to come. I can't promise I will do the spectacular job of organizing that JU did, but I will try to live up to her standards.

Everyone is welcome, the more the merrier :biggrin:

The suggestion of trying to arrange a pre set menu has been thrown out. Thoughts?

I personally would prefer to order when we get there.

I have not eaten at Full Kee and don't know if this is the case, but often, at Chinese restaurants, there are "banquet menus" available only to parties ordering in advance. I am all for ordering one's own meal. However, if there is a banquet menu and that menu does offer specialties or a tasting menu not normally available, it may be worth ceding a little bit of control and putting ourselves in the chef's hands. I will try to get down there over the next week and see if there is any reason to consider making some type of prior arrangement with the restaurant.

I'm on the pavement

Long time lurker, first time poster.

If you go to Full Kee, do get the dumpling soup, and one of the Casseroles, preferably the Oyster Casserole.

Also, it can't really accomodate large groups, but if you haven't had them yet and get a chance, go two doors down to Li Ho Foods and get the Singapore Noodles.

PS. Can lurkers come too? ;)

I let Jsmeeker tell me where to eat in Vegas.

Welcome Turtleboy

Since your are now a poster and no longer a lurker we'd love to have you :wink:

Busboy, if you could check out the banquet menu that would be great. I tried to go Staruday night but couldn't find parking.

Depending on how many of us there are, I was hoping we could get one or two of those big round tables they have downstairs.

I dropped by Full Kee today and they appear not to have a banquet menu. A significant language barrier prevent any detailed discussion of what "off the menu" specialties the kitchen might have.

It seems to be a fairly compact little place, though, with one chef behind the stove, so some further attempts to at least warn them and perhaps have a few dishes prepared in advance -- soups, appetizers, maybe -- may keep us from overwhelming the kitchen.

Edited by Busboy (log)

I'm on the pavement

I'm just checking to make sure every knows that it is the 23rd. Apparently that wasn't very clear :wacko:

If that doesn't work let me know and we'll find another date :wink:

I tried to go Staruday night but couldn't find parking.

er, hillvalley?

I know D.C. must seem awfully provincial sometimes compared to New York, but you TRIED TO FIND CHINATOWN PARKING ON SATURDAY NIGHT????

and busboy--I can try to get a chinese-speaker to talk with them about a good dinner. he's vegetarian, though, so would be more inclined to negotiate meat and seafood dishes for us if, say, we could talk Monica into hosting an event at Woodlands later on....

:hmmm:

babka -- I think for a large group event on a Friday evening we will need all the language support we can get. On the one hand, my brief exchange with the woman by the cash register is not conclusive proof that her English is not better than it appeared to me on a brief conversation.

On the other hand, the fact that I kept asking for a banquet menu and about chef's specials, while she kept telling me to order from the carry-out menu, signalled the potential for misunderstanding if we ever entered into more detailed negotiations.

We should probably look to our fearless organizer hillvalley for guidance regarding when we can get a hard count; and to all for ideas on how to balance the gleeful anarchy of free choice (in small restaurant) against the tyrannical efficiency of central pre-planning.

I'm on the pavement