• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGullet Outing at Full Kee, Chinatown

Yep, that's what I meant. It was very helpful for keeping all the Marks and Mikes apart, as well as putting handles and real names together.

Real name?

But my Driver's liscense says "Turtle Boy" on it.

;)

I let Jsmeeker tell me where to eat in Vegas.

Okay, I'll put you down as TB :smile:

Takes a while to get him out of his shell, but once he's peeks out his head, watch out!

Edited by hillvalley (log)

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Did we ever line up babka's friend for a "chef's specialties" phone call? should I make another run at it? Do we want to make some sort of reservation? SHould we try to combine all these?

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I am pretty sure that they do not take reservations but warning them ahead of time is a good idea.

Busboy, could you stop by? Or babka, could your friend call to warn them? Or both?

babka, let me know if your friend can make a call re: culinary bushwacking plus a heads for the restaurant.

hillvalley -- what do you get for a final hard count? Iget 17.

Edited by Busboy (log)

I'm on the pavement

i can't make this dinner - too bad because i work less than a block away - but i'll be in beantown. if folks are sharing dishes, i recommend getting half (or as much as people want to share) a cantonese roast duck; the sizzling beef dishes are yummy; the sauteed string beans are surprisingly tasty as well. beef chow foon or seafood chow mein are also good sharing dishes. the 8 treasure hot pot is also good (i think it's shrimp, beef, roast pork, squid, fried tofu, chicken, veggies, and something).

for one, noodle soups with dumplings or roast pork are good - ask for the veggie in the soup (chinese broccoli) for another $1. the duck that comes with the noodle soups is usually very bony and you don't get much meat. the soy sauce chicken with the soup is also a good choice for those that are skilled in eating chicken off the bone with chopsticks :-)

17 people -- wow..... you'll definitely need at least 2 of the round tables downstairs.

Here is the current list which brings us to 16:

hillvalley

babka +1

hjshorter

mdt

bilrus

Al Dente

busboy +1

malawry

hannah +1

turtleboy

eunny jang

DC Mark +1

By the way, we will be celebrating eunny's birthday Thursday night :smile:

Oh, my goodness - I was wondering why I had all these PMs - just realized that I put my birthday down for the wrong month in my profile :shock: My 21st isn't till next month (so I have one more month before I take a long, long step on the road to liver poisoning) but thank you for the good wishes :smile:

See everyone on Thursday!

Oh, my goodness - I was wondering why I had all these PMs - just realized that I put my birthday down for the wrong month in my profile :shock: My 21st isn't till next month (so I have one more month before I take a long, long step on the road to liver poisoning) but thank you for the good wishes :smile:

See everyone on Thursday!

You can drink, we won't tell.

I'm on the pavement

sorry--have been on deadlines and not tracking this well. I'm not sure I can get a Chinese-speaker actually _there_ on Thursday night--my friend's mother is visiting from Germany, leaving the next day, and he seems to think she'd be rather upset if he ditched her for dinner. I called the restaurant and gave them a heads-up on the number of people and ran into the same issue as Busboy when I tried to ask about dishes that Chinese customers would order. I've just called another Chinese-speaker and asked her if she'd be willing to either go with us or handle discussions with Full Kee on our behalf ahead of time--will let you know when she gets back to me.

edited to say: on a completely separate note, I just googled the place and found a raging discussion on chowhound about their dishes.

chow hound on full kee

leaving aside the wegman's issue :unsure:

Everything on the chinese-language menu is now listed in English.

Dishes that folks singled out for praise include:

chicken and eggplant casserole,

tofu stuffed with shrimp and the oyster casserole.

shrimp dumpling soup

clams in black bean sauce

oyster casserole,

snow pea leaves,

Hong Kong dumpling soup

and this simplified gem of advice: "avoid americanized anything, stick to casseroles, congee, hong kong soups, and vegetable stir fries."

Edited by babka (log)

oyster casserole,

snow pea leaves,

Hong Kong dumpling soup

My three favorite dishes :smile:

oyster casserole,

snow pea leaves,

Hong Kong dumpling soup

My three favorite dishes :smile:

Ditto.

I may have to set next to Hillvalley so we can share. ;)

I let Jsmeeker tell me where to eat in Vegas.

That's assuming the others don't scare you away first.

I cannot gaurantee that I will be there at or before 7 due to a meeting. IF they cannot put us all together, which I assume they can't, I would try for two round tables next to each other. Makes for easier sharing.

Please remember to bring lots of cash, preferably small bills. "They do not take credit, only gold" as the song goes.

Since no one responded I am assuming you don't want a cheat sheet. I can't do it during the day so you're going without.

I am bringing a camera, but it would be great if someone else could bring one. That way I get to eat a few hot dishes.

Here is the final list:

hillvalley

babka

hjshorter

mdt

bilrus

Al Dente

busboy +1

malawry

hannah +1

turtleboy

eunny jang

DC Mark +1

At this point if we haven't heard from the maybes, I am assuming you are not coming. Please feel free to prove me wrong.

I won't be coming after all. Ian started throwing up yesterday and after a long day was admitted to the hospital for dehydration at 2am. Scott is with him now, but I will be heading over shortly to be with him. We don't know when he's being released.

Have a good time, everyone. :smile:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I'm sure everything will be OK, but what a bummer in the mean time. Where's MIL when you need her?

Was looking forward to actually coversing with you tonight, rather than drinking and dashing. See you at the picnic, perhaps.

I'm on the pavement

Oh, I'm so sorry! I hope he feels better very soon!

I may have an extra person tonight - will it be ok?

Should we do the whole "I'll be the mysterious lady with the red rose between my teeth" thing again, or does everyone (besides me) pretty much know each other?

I was thinking of heading to Matchbox for a before dinner cocktail. Anyone interested in joining me?

You read my mind. I'll be there.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

I was thinking of heading to Matchbox for a before dinner cocktail.  Anyone interested in joining me?

You read my mind. I'll be there.

Have a martini for me, preferably the mango one. Better yet, order one and sneak it into Full Kee. I am going to need one by dinner tonight.

Hj, I hope Ian feels better. You will be missed. Let me know if you want some leftovers. We can arrange a drop off tomorrow :smile:

eunny, there a couple of people who will be new, so you're not the only one. I'm in a purple sweater, but may be late so that might not help :hmmm: If you look for the big group of salavating people, chances are that is us.

Are we taking bets on whether Busboy will stick around this time? If his wife really exists? :wink:

Are we taking bets on whether Busboy will stick around this time? If his wife really exists? :wink:

If there's a seat for me this time, I'll stay. If I have to duke it out with a cranky manager, again, I'm off to Nick and Steph's.

I'm on the pavement