• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGullet Outing at Full Kee, Chinatown

unfortunately, I'm not sure that either of us can make it to the event itself, but I'd be glad to help--if we have a rough headcount, I can send my friend there either later this week or early next to try to describe what we'd like. He likes food, especially good food, and is very good at begging non-menu items from chefs (Veggie Survival Skills 101).

that said, if there's no official banquet menu and we want a fun non-menu dinner, I suspect we'll get the best results if people are willing to submit to the wretched tyranny of pre-ordering. I can see sending him in ahead of time to ask for the most interesting dishes the kitchen can cook for, say $15 to $30 a head, leaving room on the financial end for individuals with more conservative tastes to order a dish they know that they would like. I'm not sure that asking for individual cool stuff while we're sitting and squabbling would be quite as productive.

I know D.C. must seem awfully provincial sometimes compared to New York, but you TRIED TO FIND CHINATOWN PARKING ON SATURDAY NIGHT????

I know, I know, but the relatives wanted to see Chinatown and after spending the day at the zoo they were too tired to walk.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I would love to schedule a time so babka and her friend could come. It would make ordering much easier. Communication can get interesting at Full Kee. I would also want the oyster caserole on the menu :biggrin:

Right now the date is THURSDAY, April 22nd. Should we push it up a week?

Please PM me if you are coming. I have lost track of the count, and have gotten a lot of maybes.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

I'm just checking to make sure every knows that it is the 23rd. Apparently that wasn't very clear :wacko:

If that doesn't work let me know and we'll find another date :wink

"Right now the date is THURSDAY, April 22nd. Should we push it up a week? "

Now you're confusing me.

Edited by Busboy (log)

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Post 1 -- I'm just checking to make sure every knows that it is the 23rd. Apparently that wasn't very clear :wacko:

If that doesn't work let me know and we'll find another date :wink:

Post 2 -- Right now the date is THURSDAY, April 22nd. Should we push it up a week?

I'm confused too.

I let Jsmeeker tell me where to eat in Vegas.

Post 1 -- I'm  just checking to make sure every knows that it is the 23rd.  Apparently that wasn't very clear :wacko: 

If that doesn't work let me know and we'll find another date :wink:

Post 2 -- Right now the date is  THURSDAY, April 22nd.  Should we push it up a week? 

I'm confused too.

If we push it up a week, that means today. If we push it back a week, that would be the 29th.

I propose Thursday, April 22nd?

Sorry for all the confusion. The kids came back from recess while I was typing. Now you know why I don't post that much at work :wink:

It is Thursday, April 22nd. For now.

Unless we move it to the 29th so that babka and her friend can join us.

I propose Thursday, April 22nd?

Sorry for all the confusion. The kids came back from recess while I was typing. Now you know why I don't post that much at work :wink:

It is Thursday, April 22nd. For now.

Unless we move it to the 29th so that babka and her friend can join us.

I could make the 29th, but not the 22nd.

As your fearful leader I am making an executive decision :biggrin::blink::biggrin:

Thursday the 22nd @ 7 it is.

So far we definately have:

hillvalley

babka

hjshorter (maybe +1)

mdt +1

bilrus

Al Dente

busboy

There are a number of you who I left off 'cause I haven't heard from you yet or you committed more that 72 hours ago (and I'm afraid we've scared you off by now :wink: ).

hillvalley

babka

hjshorter (maybe +1)

mdt +1

bilrus

Al Dente

busboy +1

malawry

er---

preferences between about ordering individually at the restaurant versus asking ahead for a $15-$20 a head assortment of interesting stuff?

I'd prefer ordering at the restaurant -- as long as people are up for sharing. With the banquet menu, you never know what you're going to get.

Although I'm a little adventurous, I'm not necessarily up for the offal.

But I'm new, so I'll certainly bow to the will of the majority.

I let Jsmeeker tell me where to eat in Vegas.

I can go either way, although I am looking forward to guidance from babka's friend. Maybe we could do a few dishes off menu?

I can go either way, although I am looking forward to guidance from babka's friend. Maybe we could do a few dishes off menu?

I'm with HillValley -- I think it's worth a phone call or a visit to see if there are any off-the-menu specials that need to be ordered in advance and picking two or three that can be shared among them that wants 'em. I'll even give it another go when I'm less rushed and less sober (sometimes beer is a communication aid) than I was on my last visit, but if babka's friend can do it for/with us, so much the better.

It's fun to follow the maps, but its nice to do a little culinary bushwacking, so to speak, if you have the chance. And who better to share your first bite of jellied ducks web with than your fellow eGulleters?

Clarity question: are Al and hj referring to "ordering items off of (from) the menu" while hv and I are considering ordering "off-menu (not listed on the menu)

items?"

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.