• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGullet Outing at Full Kee, Chinatown

Since mnebergall has already brought it up.......

As I promised this evening, here is the thread for the next EGDC event.

I propose either Friday April 23rd or Saturday the 24th. You have almost a month to free your schedules so no excuses will be accepted, especially from those of you who bailed on us this evening. Firefly or Nectar were thrown out as suggestions.

My only request is that you keep us budget conscious egulleteers in mind.

Discuss.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

I prefer Friday.

And I am game for whatever, though a. I am on a strict budget and b. a group of us already went to Firefly several months ago.

My main thought is that that weekend marks the debut of the new Iron Chef!

Looking at the Food Channel schedule, Friday looks best. It is also generally my best night to go out.

A secondary thought is that if we get as large a crowd as last night then a weekend event may be problematic to schedule.

No one place jumps out at me right now.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

I suspect that weekend would be more difficult for a restaurant to accomodate a group as large as our seems to be. As for the weekend of the 23rd, I will be out hunting wild turkeys and morels. The middle of the week seemed to suit most everyone.

PS: This thread should be eGDC, not EGDC.

I agree that a cheaper venue is in order.

What about Full Key or Mark's Duck House for dim sum?

Weeknights do not work best for me.

Would someone be willing to host an eg/Iron Chef event? I wuld but you won't all fit in my apartment :smile:

OK, we're definitely sticking around for this one, no matter how many seats (or how few) are available.

It was good meeting so many folks last night, and we would certainly have loved to stick around last night, but we couldn't see inconveniencing 14 other people in a crowded restaurant when we had helped cause the problem by making only a tentative commitment ourselves, and screwing up the count.

One thought for this and future gatherings: A few restaurants around town have "pre-theater" dinners that might offer budget chance to sample a good place. Bistro d'Oc at $19.95 and Marcels at around $50 (Bargains being relative things) come to mind.

Another thought, on the Chines line -- all my life I've been eating in Chinese places that offer and "Emporer's feast" or some such thing on the first page of their menu, available only for groups and only when ordered in advance, the implication being that this is the chef at their best. Might be worth looking into.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

OK, we're definitely sticking around for this one, no matter how many seats (or how few) are available.

It was good meeting so many folks last night, and we would certainly have loved to stick around last night, but we couldn't see inconveniencing 14 other people in a crowded restaurant when we had helped cause the problem by making only a tentative commitment ourselves, and screwing up the count.

One thought for this and future gatherings: A few restaurants around town have "pre-theater" dinners that might offer budget chance to sample a good place. Bistro d'Oc at $19.95 and Marcels at around $50 (Bargains being relative things) come to mind.

Another thought, on the Chines line -- all my life I've been eating in Chinese places that offer and "Emporer's feast" or some such thing on the first page of their menu, available only for groups and only when ordered in advance, the implication being that this is the chef at their best. Might be worth looking into.

Those are such great ideas, Busboy, that I'm not even going to give you a hard time for sneaking out last night. :wink:

Great to meet you, even if only briefly.

Busboy's suggestions sound pretty good.

Weeknights are better for me as well and would probably work better for a larger group as well.

Wearing jeans to the best restaurants in town.

Ivy's Place on Conn. AVe., just up from the Uptown Theater, has a similar feast with some Dutch sounding name that I will not even try to spell. You have to call them in advance to let them know you want this special meal.

other cheapie places that could be good for groups:

Dukem for Ethiopian

Amma's Vegetarian Kitchen and/or Nirvana--good, inexpensive, roomy, interesting.

MarkN suggested barbeque.

Cafe Atlantico: $22 for the early 3-course menu.

Hotel Helix: thick grilled good burger with smoked cheddar, fries, and a pabst for $6.50--higher quality beers for $7.50--during happy hour

Time-limited Drinks and Dishes at Andale, Chef Geoff, Corduroy, David Greggory, or M-Street bar and Grill WP roundup of high-end happy hours

and Les Halles (where I've never been and clearly has mixed reviews) offers 3 courses for $17.89 until 7 pm.

I love Busboy's emporer's meal idea. He gets choice seating at our next event.

I propose Thursday, April 22nd?

Can someone do a little research into where we could do one that is Metro accessible? Does Full Key (yes I am stuck on that place, craving the soup as we speak) have one?

This all sounds like a great idea!! How does one get involved with this?? My only restriction is that I have classes on Thursday nights. Thanks in advance.

PS Any early picks on the Iron Chef?

(Sitting for lamb chops)

Lamb: Ple-e-e-se Li-i-i-sa I thought you lo-o-o-oved me, lo-o-o-oved me

Marge: Whats Wrong Lisa? Cant get enough lamb chops?

Lisa: I can't eat this, I can't eat a poor little lamb.

Homer: Lisa get a hold yourself, that is lamb, not A lamb.

I vote for Full Key in Chinatown and we all have to order off the chinese language menu.

Excellent.

This has my vote too.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

I vote for Full Key in Chinatown and we all have to order off the chinese language menu.

Excellent.

This has my vote too.

The picky eater is in as long as:

1. Someone agrees to be my tour guide, and

2. That someone doesn't try to sneak in any stuff they know I won't eat. :blink: