• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

portsmouth new hamshire

iriee

im going to be in portsmouth april 10-11. staying at the sheraton portsmouth,,,,any ideas for a nice night out? casual,,,romantic,,,on or near the water maybe? its our first visit so anything would help. thanks!

Pesce Blue on Congress St is a nice place. I would call it both casual and romantic. Italian seafood is their thing. Their website

There isn't much in the way of restaurants on the water. Poco's Bow Street Cantina has some water views. The food is OK. They do have a bar downstairs and I can recommend their margaritas.

Portsmouth is all eminently walkable, so I'd recommend you map out some time for a stroll to take a look at other restaurant menus to see what appeals to you. Don't expect lots of excellent dining experiences, though. It is mostly a tourist town. Pesce Blue is, IMHO, the best restaurant in town.

Pesce Blue on Congress St is a nice place. I would call it both casual and romantic. Italian seafood is their thing. Their website

There isn't much in the way of restaurants on the water. Poco's Bow Street Cantina has some water views. The food is OK. They do have a bar downstairs and I can recommend their margaritas.

Portsmouth is all eminently walkable, so I'd recommend you map out some time for a stroll to take a look at other restaurant menus to see what appeals to you. Don't expect lots of excellent dining experiences, though. It is mostly a tourist town. Pesce Blue is, IMHO, the best restaurant in town.

This can mean only one thing: I take it the Blue Strawbery is no more?

I would recomend 2. Lindburghs Crossing (which is in the same space as the Blue Strawberry used to be ) Or Anthony Albertos if you feel like Italian.

Edited by kechefs (log)

"What some call health, if purchased by perpetual anxiety about diet, isn't much better than tedious disease"

George Dennison Prentice

• 2 weeks later...
Pesce Blue on Congress St is a nice place.  I would call it both casual and romantic.  Italian seafood is their thing.  Their website

There isn't much in the way of restaurants on the water.  Poco's Bow Street Cantina has some water views.  The food is OK.  They do have a bar downstairs and I can recommend their margaritas. 

Portsmouth is all eminently walkable, so I'd recommend you map out some time for a stroll to take a look at other restaurant menus to see what appeals to you.  Don't expect lots of excellent dining experiences, though.  It is mostly a tourist town.  Pesce Blue is, IMHO, the best restaurant in town.

This can mean only one thing: I take it the Blue Strawbery is no more?

Correct. It has been gone for quite awhile, which is too bad. We had some excellent meals there years ago.

The Mexican/Latin American place on the water is pretty good.