• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best cheap brunch in DC/VA?

You obviously haven't read Kitchen Confidential.

I don't really have any good suggestions, but I can warn you to NOT go to the Front Page for brunch. I had an eggs benedict there relatively recently that tasted like vinegar. Like nothing but vinegar.

Short of checking out McDonald's dollar menu, I really don't think you're going to find cheaper brunches outside of maybe Austin Grill and the aforementioned Kramerbooks.

Luna whatchamacallit in Dupont maybe?

Luna Grill in both Dupont and Shirlington does some nice breakfast/brunch stuff.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

That brunch is where a restaurant tests out its most inexperienced cooks on the chef's day off; that hollandaise held for hours on station is a cesspool of bacteria (I believe that; that lukewarm temperature is just right for a swingin' bacteria key party).

So says Anthony "Don't Eat Fish On Monday!!!!" Bourdain.

Kitchen Confidential is actually one of my favorite books - but it still doesn't stop me from craving eggs benedict from time to time, or brunch for that matter. :)

Nor stop me from occasionally ordering mussels. :)

-Jason

I'm drawing a total blank on the name, but what about the place on the Hill down the street from the Folger?

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Whitlows on Wilson used to have a good cheap brunch and Eggs Benedict--at least when I was working there 6 yrs ago. Still true?

Also, I recommend the thai brunch at Rabieng.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Whitlows on Wilson used to have a good cheap brunch and Eggs Benedict--at least when I was working there 6 yrs ago.

I KNEW you looked familiar. I haven't been to Whitlow's in ages.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

I KNEW you looked familiar. I haven't been to Whitlow's in ages.

Yep, I worked there 4-5 nights a week from 1996-1998. Maybe I waited on you for burger night?? :biggrin:

Edited by sara (log)

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

OK, gotta know (as I'm also a huge eggs benedict fan)- what ever does Kitchen Conf. say about them? Or is ignorance bliss?

Something about the raw egg mizture having to be kept lukewarm.....so it isn't the safest thing to eat.

-Jason

Long time lurker - first time poster. Couldn't resist this thread since I've been brunch obsessed this year - and love eggs benedict. Here's a quick review of some places in Northern Virginia, with my unscientific ratings (1-5)

Blue Iguana, Fair Lakes - 2 It wasn't the worst, it wasn't the best. The EB were passable, the omelets and carving station weren't the greatest and the price was okay (around 13/person)

Backyard Grill, Chantilly - 0.75 Wow! I've never had EB that were hard boiled! 13 or so/person - never again...

Brions Grill, Fairfax - 2.5 Well, no EB, but a passable omelet station. 10/person

Madigans Grill, Woodbridge - 0.5 EB were bad. Can I say bad again? Bad! The waffles - one bite and I set them aside. Just say NO! Around 13/person

Carlyle - 5 Good EB - not a buffet and it made me realize I really don't like buffets! I would definitely return.

Palm Court, Westfields Marriott - 4.5 Good, expensive brunch. Too much good quality food and had good EB. Around 50/person.

2941, Falls Church - 4 Nice brunch with good EB. I think the EB were the best thing about the brunch, although I know I'm obsessed! Good muffins and breads. I tasted the 2941 omelet (spinach, mushrooms and swiss) was it was okay. Nice touches at the end - home made marshmallows and home spun cotton candy. 39/person

Market Street Grill, Reston Town Center - 3.5 No EB, but a nice brunch buffet. Hot items, then you order an entree and then dessert buffet. I'd go again. 21.95/person

Overall, I think I'm over the buffet thing. Too much food and most of the time it is mediocre. Next on my list are some of the egullet suggestions, Boulevard Wood Grill, Harry's Tap Room, Whitlow's and Luna Grill.

Thanks to everyone for raising my standards and pointing me to better food!

Edited by mcbriden (log)

I know the poster is looking for eggs benedict specifically, but here's a wholly different suggestion. This restaurant's not the greatest, but I've had lots of fun on a Sunday morning with their brunch menu: the Grill from Ipanema on Columbia in Adams Morgan offers a menu with a number of decent entrees, ho-hum salad and dessert and a rail drink for something like $15.00. If you order the moqueca with mussels (order it WITH palm oil and coconut, bad-fat city), extra spicy, you will get: a very spicy tomato-based broth bubbling in a lavastone bowl, so hot in temperature your sinuses clear when the waiter sets it down in front of you. It will be salty and savory with soft bits of onion and cilantro and silky with palm oil. The mussels will be unremarkable, but servicable and of a good size. A big plate of rice and silky, sauce-like yucca puree with fish and more onion will be plunked down in front of you. Ignore this and eat the moqueca with a soup spoon. Pick at the salad if you want; the mustardy house dressing is pretty good but not particularly interesting and the salad is always overdressed. Eat lots of rolls to alleviate any aftereffects of the napalm you've just swallowed - bland and white and crusty and very, very hot - use liberal amounts of butter. Order the cheese and guava paste plate for dessert.

With a bloody mary doctored with horseradish for a bit of the hair of the dog that bit you, this is an excellent hangover breakfast.

I'll second the recommendation of Colorado Kitchen. They have always had eggs benedict on the menu when I have brunched there. The menu changes frequently, but EB seems to be a stalwart. Based on my last two or three visits, they seem to have improved their previously spotty service. Price is right, too. Don't skip the donuts, as that would be a monumental error.

I had brunch at Ardeo on Sunday and it was FANTASTIC!! I had the eggs benedict on prosciutto (although I also had my choice of smoked salmon and lump crab meat). I think that the next time I'll try the brioche french toast w/ applewood bacon and carmelized apples.

I will have to mention, though, that my favorite place for brunch is Normandie Farm in Potomac.

Edited by mhberk (log)

(Sitting for lamb chops)

Lamb: Ple-e-e-se Li-i-i-sa I thought you lo-o-o-oved me, lo-o-o-oved me

Marge: Whats Wrong Lisa? Cant get enough lamb chops?

Lisa: I can't eat this, I can't eat a poor little lamb.

Homer: Lisa get a hold yourself, that is lamb, not A lamb.

I had brunch at Ardeo on Sunday and it was FANTASTIC!! I had the eggs benedict on prosciutto (although I also had my choice of smoked salmon and lump crab meat). I think that the next time I'll try the brioche french toast w/ applewood bacon and carmelized apples.

I will have to mention, though, that my favorite place for brunch is Normandie Farm in Potomac.

I had no idea Ardeo had brunch and am so glad you mentioned this. I often struggle to find a good brunch in that vicinity (esp when my parents are in town) so instead we trek over to Peacock Cafe which I enjoy, but between paying for parking and waiting for a table, there's an aggravation factor.

I had no idea Ardeo had brunch and am so glad you mentioned this. 

They really do a good job there. Of course the menu on their website that I referenced is a few years old. I found a lot of the dishes to be similar, but with slight variations.

If you live anywhere near Potomac, it might be worth it to treat yourself to Normandie Farm. The brunch is all you can eat and it includes a raw bar, omlette/egg station, carving station, waffle station, hot dishes, cold dishes, egg benedict, dessert station, etc. All for a very reasonable price. I know that they have two seatings on the weekends. You won't be let down.

(Sitting for lamb chops)

Lamb: Ple-e-e-se Li-i-i-sa I thought you lo-o-o-oved me, lo-o-o-oved me

Marge: Whats Wrong Lisa? Cant get enough lamb chops?

Lisa: I can't eat this, I can't eat a poor little lamb.

Homer: Lisa get a hold yourself, that is lamb, not A lamb.