• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How do you make Streusel?

Jaybert41

I seem to be blanking out on the pastry section of my school days and I am stumped about making streusel.

Not the kind that you just mix up and sprinkle on top of a torte, cheesecake, muffins, etc., but the kind that you can use as a component itself. What is the technique for making crunchy streusel crumbs? I am interesting in savory as well as sweet applications but cannot seem pin down the technique to achieve these cookie crumb like results.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Streusel ( pronounced (STROIZEL" ), from German 'streuen', to 'litter', 'strew' or 'scatter'. In German baking, never used as a 'component in a baked goods', but always as a 'topping'

125 gr Flour ( 41/2 oz)

125 gr ground Almonds

125 gr Butter soft

225 gr Sugar

sort of 'knead all together and then crumble up

Peter

Peter, Thank you for the reply. I appreciate the recipe for streusel that you have given. Again though, is it the kind of thing that you would make, bake on it own and then use as is afterwords. I just don't know about getting from the raw state (butter, sugar, flour, etc.) to having it be something usable as a garnish to sprinkle onto a plate for example. Any more thoughts on how to achieve that crumbly texture as a single ingredient?

In Desserts of Pierre Herme' by Dorie Greenspan.....Herme has a streusel he bakes seperately as your looking for. For copyright reasons I can't post it, but it's easily found in the book. I forget the extact item it was with......I think it was a component with a cream cheese mousse cake...I believe it had griotes layered in the center.

Herme's streusel goes like this:

3 1/2 T. sugar

6 T. ground almonds

6 T. flour

salt

16 t. butter

He chills it before baking and uses a med. low oven temp. 325F.

P.S. This obviously makes a very small amount-just x's up what you want. You can draw your own conclusions by comparing it to Peters recipe.

You can omit the sugar and add what-ever seasoning or changes for a savory version.