• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pâte de Fruits (Fruit Paste/Fruit Jellies) (Part 1)

elizabethnathan

That's interesting. I wonder if there is a way to get the same result with the Matisse, either by using more pectin or cooking it a little longer?

As soon as you added the pectin to the fruit it got thick right away - I suspect there is acid in the pectin itself. I think more pectin might just make it worse. Interesting thing was it still tested the appropriate brix for each temperature.

That is very odd. The Matisse was within useby? If so, I think you must be right Kerry and it must have something additional to the pectin added

That is very odd. The Matisse was within useby? If so, I think you must be right Kerry and it must have something additional to the pectin added

Yup - still good. I think formulated differently for jam and glazes.

A little reading leads me to believe we inadvertently made 'bake stable' jam. I used some of it today in some chocolates, along with some leftover amaretto filling.

• 4 weeks later...

I need some insight into layered pate de fruit. I want to do strawberry rhubarb flavor and thought a pate de fruit would be fun as I have never made it before. Some thoughts I had were a rhubarb pate de fruit with a layer of strawberry ganache. This is where I need help. Does the rhubarb flavor come through or is it there just to enhance the strawberry? Am I better off doing a strawberry rhubarb pate de fruit and another flavor for the second layer. Thoughts?

JB Chocolatier

www.jbchocolatier.com

I need some insight into layered pate de fruit. I want to do strawberry rhubarb flavor and thought a pate de fruit would be fun as I have never made it before. Some thoughts I had were a rhubarb pate de fruit with a layer of strawberry ganache. This is where I need help. Does the rhubarb flavor come through or is it there just to enhance the strawberry? Am I better off doing a strawberry rhubarb pate de fruit and another flavor for the second layer. Thoughts?

I suspect this is going to be one of those things you'll need to experiment with to figure out what you like the best. Rhubarb flavour comes through nicely in a PDF, but the chocolate in the strawberry ganache might disguise both fruit flavours somewhat.

Thanks Kerry! I agree I will have to experiment myself, but I wanted other advise before getting started. Rhubarb is not a flavor I care for or eat often so I needed some input. Do you think a white chocolate and strawberry ganache would allow the rhubarb to come through? Or would that be overwhelmingly sweet with the pate de fruit? I have never had a pate de fruit either so I am tasting blind here :smile:

Also, I noticed you said you prefer Boiron old recipes to their new ones. Can you PM the old ones?

Thanks! Jenny

JB Chocolatier

www.jbchocolatier.com

Thanks Kerry! I agree I will have to experiment myself, but I wanted other advise before getting started. Rhubarb is not a flavor I care for or eat often so I needed some input. Do you think a white chocolate and strawberry ganache would allow the rhubarb to come through? Or would that be overwhelmingly sweet with the pate de fruit? I have never had a pate de fruit either so I am tasting blind here :smile:

Also, I noticed you said you prefer Boiron old recipes to their new ones. Can you PM the old ones?

Thanks! Jenny

They will probably be pretty sweet - but likely white would be the thing to try.

Will PM the old ones when I get home after 4. Although I'm going to look back in this thread and see if we have attached them here - cause I thought with the second to last upgrade we were able to add PDF files.

Thanks again Kerry! If they were attached, sorry I missed them. Looking for rhubarb pate de fruit recipes I kept coming across this one:

• 1/2 – 3/4 pound rhubarb, roughly chopped
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 3 ounces (1 envelope) liquid pectin
  • 2 teaspoons lemon juice

Does that look right? What would be the shelf life of this? and would this work with a layer of ganache? Sorry for all the questions! I have never done pate de fruits and I only recently started selling my chocolates so shelf life has become way more important than before.

JB Chocolatier

www.jbchocolatier.com

Thanks again Kerry! If they were attached, sorry I missed them. Looking for rhubarb pate de fruit recipes I kept coming across this one:

• 1/2 – 3/4 pound rhubarb, roughly chopped
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 3 ounces (1 envelope) liquid pectin
  • 2 teaspoons lemon juice

Does that look right? What would be the shelf life of this? and would this work with a layer of ganache? Sorry for all the questions! I have never done pate de fruits and I only recently started selling my chocolates so shelf life has become way more important than before.

I don't use the liquid pectin - I use apple pectin - so not sure about that one.

Here we go - the PDF of the PDF's.

pates_de_fruits 18-22-28.pdf

Thank you so much for the recipes!! I have been searching for apple pectin with no luck so far. I will keep looking. Is it in powder or liquid form?

Jenny

Powder - try Chef Rubber.

http://www.shopchefrubber.com/Pectin-Pate-de-Fruit-500g-1.1-lbs/

Thanks Kerry. I was trying to find it locally (didn't realize how uncommon it is). The shipping is more than the pectin. I guess I just have to decide how bad I want to make those pate de fruits:)

JB Chocolatier

www.jbchocolatier.com

http://marquefoods.com/products/patisfrance-powdered-pectin-green

http://www.europeanfoodservice.com/patis-france-rapid-pectin-green/

This is what I use. It does seem expensive, especially if you have to double the price for shipping to AK (luckily I don't pay shipping so it is about $47/kg from my wholesaler). I use 30g per 15mm ganache frame (336mm square), so a 1kg pail lasts me at least a few months, even though I usually make 3 batches of PDF a week. If you are doing a thinner layer of PDF in combination with ganache you will use even less. I think if you cost out how much you actually will use you will get over the sticker shock.

JenBunk, if you have Greweling's Chocolate and Confections at Home book, there is a recipe on page 190 for Pectin Jellies using grocery store liquid pectin (Certo or Ball). I have made these and the texture comes rather close to the pdf one makes with powdered pectin. You should try his recipe to see how much you and your customers like pate de fruit. If you like this recipe then I would recommend trying the powdered pectin recipes.

Pastrygirl- I agree that the price is not so bad considering how far it goes. How long does the stuff stay good? If I am going to buy that much it would have to last a couple years :smile:

Kerry- I will try Snowcap. The only experience I have had ordering from Canada is from Chocolat-Chocolat. They wanted my Social Security number and the shipping was about 50% of the total sale. I am used to the shipping thing, but was not OK with giving my SSN over the internet. I understand why they need it, but it still makes me nervous. I should probably just get over being cheap and just order the apple pectin :biggrin:

Curls- I will give that recipe a try. Thanks!

Thank you everybody for taking time to help me!!

JB Chocolatier

www.jbchocolatier.com

Hi Everyone. I have a simple question regarding pdf's. A friend of mine asked me to make some for his wedding coming up next Saturday, so I was thinking of doing a layered pdf, perhaps something like raspberry and apricot. If I make a 1/4 inch layer of one fruit jelly, is there anything special I need to do make the other layer adhere to the first? I've only done these one time, and want to be extra sure before I start. I was planning on making a raspberry pdf, letting it set up, then pour the apricot pdf on top of it, just wanted to make sure there isn't anything I'm not taking into consideration. Thanks :-)

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Pastrygirl- I agree that the price is not so bad considering how far it goes. How long does the stuff stay good? If I am going to buy that much it would have to last a couple years :smile:

Kerry- I will try Snowcap. The only experience I have had ordering from Canada is from Chocolat-Chocolat. They wanted my Social Security number and the shipping was about 50% of the total sale. I am used to the shipping thing, but was not OK with giving my SSN over the internet. I understand why they need it, but it still makes me nervous. I should probably just get over being cheap and just order the apple pectin :biggrin:

Actually, you don't need to give Chocolat-Chocolat your SSN, just leave that field blank. I have ordered from them a few times, have never given them my SSN, they have never asked for it, and all my packages have arrived without problem. Now, I hope that has not jinxed me! :shock:

I have only made layered PDF's at Callebaut, but they had us put a silpat over the first layer to keep it from drying out while preparing the second layer. Not sure if it is necessary or not.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

Actually, you don't need to give Chocolat-Chocolat your SSN, just leave that field blank. I have ordered from them a few times, have never given them my SSN, they have never asked for it, and all my packages have arrived without problem. Now, I hope that has not jinxed me! :shock:

Thanks Curls! I just ordered some molds from Chocolat-Chocolat that I have wanted for a couple years! They did have to call me a couple of times to figure out shipping to me, but my order is in! :smile: To think I could have ordered them a long time ago. I am going to try the recipe you pointed me to while I wait for my apple pectin from Chef rubber. I hope I really like these things to make my $100 pectin worth it :biggrin:

JB Chocolatier

www.jbchocolatier.com