• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pâte de Fruits (Fruit Paste/Fruit Jellies) (Part 1)

elizabethnathan

I'm not an experienced pate de fruit maker but I have played around with it a little. I ordered some G-pectin and have done a couple recipes with that with good results. I have some (froma jar) sour cherries that I've marinated in port and spices that are falling apart as I pit them and I'm wondering if there would be any problems with pureeing said cherries and making a pate de fruit with the puree. I also have some morello cherry puree that I considered hitting with a bit of kirsch and doing a pate de fruit with that as well. Does alcohol cause any problems that I should be aware of?

• Delicious 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

no, it shouldn't. Wouldnt be the first time I have used wine in pate fruit. It cooks all the alchohol out though, so I hope the idea isn't to have that flavor in the fruit. If it has a high concentration of alchohol, it might create some off, dry mouth flavors, but I dont know this for sure.

If you want the alchohol in, try agar gummies.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

i cook quite some pate de fruit per week, so i can assure you that by the time the pate mixture reaches the 109 C there will be positively no alcohol left... what you could try is to cook the mixture to a higher C and add the appropriate amout of alcohol to get it to 109 C again....

here is my basic NOFAIL recipe

pre mix 50 g pectin jaune with 150 g caster sugar

warm 1000 g fruit puree with 500 g water to approx. 50 C

whisk in the pectin pre mix THROUGHLY

add 1800 g caster sugar an 500 g glucose (44 DE)

cook everything to 109 C

take OFF the heat and add 30 g of citric acid and mix

pour into frames SWIFTLY (once the acid hits the mix it will gel in less than a minute!)

Edited by schneich (log)
  • Like 1

toertchen toertchen

patissier chocolatier cafe

cologne, germany

I wound up draining the cherries and folding them into a kirsch cream but this is still very useful information to me. Agar gummies is an awesome idea as well. Thanks to you both!

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I have received an Idea that may work for you. If you want the alchohol in that is. Use Frappe with the gummies, and to make the frappe, replace the water with the alchohol with egg white powder. Then stir in the frappe to the gel and that will give you an opaque look with an alchohol flavor.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I am making a batch from the El Bulli recipe. The moment I put the pectin/sugar mixture into the water, there were chunks. Does anyone know what causes this (must be the pectin). I hope this dissolves or I'll have to hit it with the immersion blender!

Edit: Well it hit 106C and I still had to run it through a strainer. There is probably 1/4 of chunks left. What did I do wrong?

Edited by sygyzy (log)

Hi,

I am making a batch from the El Bulli recipe. The moment I put the pectin/sugar mixture into the water, there were chunks. Does anyone know what causes this (must be the pectin). I hope this dissolves or I'll have to hit it with the immersion blender!

Edit: Well it hit 106C and I still had to run it through a strainer. There is probably 1/4 of chunks left. What did I do wrong?

was your pectin fully combined with the sugar before you added it?

did you whisk rapidly when adding the pectin/sugar combo?

the pectin will tend to lump up, you might not be able to avoid all lumps, but being extra careful when adding the pectin should reduce the lumping. straining isn't a bad idea to do, regardless.

the pectin will tend to lump up, you might not be able to avoid all lumps, but being extra careful when adding the pectin should reduce the lumping.  straining isn't a bad idea to do, regardless.

Hi,

The recipe says to "combine the pectin with the sugar" so what I did was pour both into a container and stir. I didn't heat or melt it. Then I heated the water to 40C and dumped the container in. I wasn't stiring rappidly while I did this because I didn't think it'd be an issue.

I checked on my creation this morning and it's still liquid, albeit a slow moving thick mass. I assume this is a flop?

the pectin will tend to lump up, you might not be able to avoid all lumps, but being extra careful when adding the pectin should reduce the lumping.  straining isn't a bad idea to do, regardless.

Hi,

The recipe says to "combine the pectin with the sugar" so what I did was pour both into a container and stir. I didn't heat or melt it. Then I heated the water to 40C and dumped the container in. I wasn't stiring rappidly while I did this because I didn't think it'd be an issue.

I checked on my creation this morning and it's still liquid, albeit a slow moving thick mass. I assume this is a flop?

I always add the pectin to a small portion of Baker's Sugar (ultrafine granulated sugar) and mix well. Then I add that to the heated puree and stir like crazy for 2-3 minutes while it combines. I proceed normally adding regular granulated sugar (in 3-4 additions so that the temperature of the molten puree/sugar doesn't get too low which would cause the pectin to setup prematurely) and then glucose, etc.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

[

I always add the pectin to a small portion of Baker's Sugar (ultrafine granulated sugar) and mix well.  Then I add that to the heated puree and stir like crazy for 2-3 minutes while it combines.  I proceed normally adding regular granulated sugar (in 3-4 additions so that the temperature of the molten puree/sugar doesn't get too low which would cause the pectin to setup prematurely) and then glucose, etc.

Argh. Looks like I have to make a new batch. Mess-ups are expensive :(

What is everyone's favorite flavor to make Pate de Fruit - Turkish Delight - Fruit Jellies...?

I am big fan of combining two fruit purees together to get a specific taste. I am a big fan of strawberry in different combinations...

So what is your guys' favorite?

I just took 1kg of frozen "nan king cherry" juice out of the freezer. I plan on making marshmallows, and fruit jellies with it. I may also attempt turkish Delight. I picked these berries for almost 10 days straight last year!! I have almost or maybe even more than 50 Litres!!!! I need to start using this stuff.

Tonight I am going to dip my cherries that have been steeping in tequila for over a year into fondant and chocolate for liqueured cherries. i should be sick of making chocolate as this season was hectic...but I can hardly wait!

Does anyone have a better source for fruit puree besides L'Epicerie? They require a min order of 4 containers and they only last a week. I'd have to make enough pate de fruits for a busy candy store to need that much.

Does anyone have a better source for fruit puree besides L'Epicerie? They require a min order of 4 containers and they only last a week. I'd have to make enough pate de fruits for a busy candy store to need that much.

Try a local grocery store. Even if they don't sell the purees to the general public, they might be willing to sell you a single container if one of their suppliers carry it. At twice the price, of course...

John DePaula
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Try a local grocery store. Even if they don't sell the purees to the general public, they might be willing to sell you a single container if one of their suppliers carry it. At twice the price, of course...

Thanks for the tip. I will try one of the nicer stores in town like Gelson's. Is there any minimum requirement of ratios I should look for? Like 10% sugar, 5% pectin, etc.

Thanks for the tip. I will try one of the nicer stores in town like Gelson's. Is there any minimum requirement of ratios I should look for? Like 10% sugar, 5% pectin, etc.

depending on where you live, there are some wholesale purveyors who might be willing to sell to you if you are willing to pick up your order rather than have it delivered. often they have minimums, so a willingness to drive to them would work. here in the san francisco bay area (as well as eastern canada), we can order from qzina.

I use Boiron purees - they are fairly well priced here relative to the price of fruit (eg., a 1kg tub of passionfruit puree for AUD $16 whereas I could never get anywhere near 1kg of puree from $16 worth of fruit). They also maintain a constant pH level with their purees so you know your recipes will always be OK.

sygyzy - when making PDFs, I keep stirring throughout. Add the sugar/pectin and stir, add the sugar in small amounts trying to maintain a boil and stir in, add the glucose in and keep stirring.

Robert - I am a fan of raspberry PDF which I make with puree and a few frozen raspberries so you can see some pips through the jelly. I also recently made a lemon jelly which was quite tasty.

Done with Boiron puree and left just as a plain lemon jelly. May be interesting to coat it in a strong dark chocolate (say 70% Cuba) but I just rolled in sugar.

I really want to order from Perfect Purees but I'll be spending around $100 before tax for a minimum order. $30 on shipping alone.

qzina sounds like a good idea though I don't think they have a warehouse here on the Central Coast. I am not sure how you even came across a wholesale outfit like them in the first place. Impressive.

That might work nicely to do a dark chocolate ganache over the Lemon Pate de Fruit(fruit jellie) and then do a nice dark chocolate coating over it all. I might try that sometime soon...

This is why I love coming on here...the ideas are flying! haha

• 3 weeks later...
Just a thought:

->PDF's originally from France, said to be made by abbeys, grannies

->Then I assume, they don't always have "apple pectin powder" 50 years ago...

->I use "PDF+recette" to try to find such a no-powder recipe, with my Kindergarden French and a heavyduty dictionary. Here's what I found:

<PaTES DE FRUITS>

TEMPS

>> Cuisson : 1h  / Preparation : 15 min  / Repos : 1 j

INGREDIENTS

- 1 kg de fruits prépaprés (épluchés et dénoyautés)

- 1 verre d'eau

- 1 kg de sucre

- le jus de 1 citron

Cette recette est valable pour tous les fruits sauf pommes et coins

PREPARATION

- Cuire les fruits avec environ 1 verre d'eau à petit feu.

- Lorsqu'ils sont fondus (comme une compote) les mixer.

- Peser la purée de fruits et ajouter le même poids de sucre et le jus de citron.

- Cuire à petit feu en tournant très regulièrement (et tout le temps en fin de cuisson), jusqu'à obtenir un sillon au fond de la casserole quand on tourne : compter 1h à 1h10 de cuisson + ou - (on obtient une pate homogène)

- Mettre un papier sulfurisé huilé dans un couvercle de bo?te en metal (par exemple de bo?te à gateaux) et verser la pate.

- Laisser refroidir puis mettre une nuit au frigo

- Découper en carrés et rouler dans le sucre cristal

- Etaler sur un plat et faire sécher a l'air libre (endroit froid et sec) pendant quelques heures avant de mettre le tout dans un tupperware et stocker au frigo.

Les pates de fruits se conservent ainsi facilement 1 mois (plus, je ne sais pas, on a tout mangé !!!)

Nota : pour les baies (cassis etc), il faut les faire éclater au feu, puis les passer au moulin à légumes avant de peser.

SOURCE

Recette de la Maman de Laurence

-----------------------------------------------------

*Its recipe is pectin-free, someone give that a try?

*It took me half an hour to figure out the french:mix->boil->stir->pour & freeze overnight->cut & roll in sugar & dry

(Strange, Maman de Laurence would freeze the PDF. I remember Steve said that would cause weeping? I don't know Laurence's Mom yet so I can't ask her.)

And Steve,

Thank You! Now I got a better idea~

Perhaps you've already heard this but the recipe doesn't specify to "freeze;" rather, you must cool overnight in the refrigerator.

I noticed that the recipe calls for "sucre cristal." Here in the US, sucre cristal comes with something called "carnauba wax" which I think must be used to polish and give a shine to the sugar crystals. Is this the same in France? Or does the French version omit the wax?

Thanks.

John DePaula
--------------------

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I'm new to eGullet so excuse me if I say something ridiculously idiotic.

I've been following this blog for a while because I've wanted to make pates for Valentines day. I've also tried twice using a recipe from the French Laundry. It hasn't worked.

I used light corn syrup, granulated sugar, Knox unflavored pectin, apples, lychees, peaches, and oranges, and lemon juice for citric acid. Unfortunately after everytime I make them, they 'weep'. They set very well and were firm but moist.

They keep weeping! I toss them in sugar and in a few minutes they turn into sugary ooze. Does anyone know why this might be happening?