• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pistachio paste

melmck

guess this depends on where you are located and from whom you can buy products.

i overheard a conversation today at a pastry demo that g.a.f. seelig has a very good quality 100% sicilian pistachio paste that runs about $75/kilo. albert uster also has a pretty decent pistachio paste for about $50/kilo. most other brands aren't 100% pistachio and sometimes have almonds/artificial flavoring, etc. included.

p.s. i'm writing from new york city

The IMO the AU one is very almondy. The sicilian pistachio paste is very good, but the only one that I know that carries it in Chicago is European Imports. If they still have it. Depending on where you are, you may want to contact gourmand. I believe that they have a few imported pistachio pastes that are very good too.

Patrick Sheerin

I have pistachio paste that I couldn't resist buying, but I'm not sure what to do with it. I got it to make ice cream, but the recipes I have don't start with paste. Any ideas or recipe sources on ice cream or other desserts with the paste?

• 9 months later...

my distributor stopped carrying MEC3 pistachio paste. It is technically a gelato base, but I use it in many pistachio things.It is perfect mixed w/ fondant for my pistachio eclairs. I haven't found anything close to it, either it's neon green, dirt brown or tastes synthetic. The MEC3 is yummy.

SO!! I need to find some and fast. Anyone know who is carrying it? links? help :blink:

Melissa McKinney

Chef/Owner Criollo Bakery

mel@criollobakery.com

Mel.....

when I've had trouble finding who carries what ingredient, I've always called a food broker,

and they've saved the day for me.

I checked out Dex online in Portland, and there's quite a few listings in the yellow pages for

food brokers there. You might try it.

I also went to the MEC3 website, and there is contact info there....at the very least you

can email them.

:smile:

I know there is a thread on pistachio paste...........

I too am looking for a paste/compound flavoring that would be great to flavor a cake base or a buttercream.

Some I know are the brown muddy color, and not soo pleasing. I have only tried Hero brand from Swiss Chalet. It can be on the chemically side.

My ? is........what brand of paste/compound would give be a great pistachio flavor as well as a nice green color?

Also........what brands to use in general for flavoring? Raspberry, Mocha, Apricot, Hazelnut, Strawberry, Orange, etc.... also, for the same applications.

Never heard of MEC3.

Thanks so much.

Mel,

Pregel makes two different pistachio pastes - the neon green one that tastes disgusting and the Scilian, which isn't bad at all, and right there in town if you need it in a real hurry.

Cheers,

Steve Smith

Glacier Country

• 6 years later...

For what type of application?

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

My favorite application at the moment is a simple pistachio gianduja consisting of high quality pistachio paste, chocolate, and confectioners sugar. Slab it, cut it, dip it in dark chocolate, and decorate with a bit of pistachio flour on one corner. Looks elegant, tastes amazing.

The only down side is the cost of high quality pistachio paste. From what I can tell, the majority of the products available are a combination of almond and pistachio, not pure pistachio. To me, the difference in flavor is worth the price.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

• 11 months later...

Hi - I am currently making pure pistachio paste at home (due to the price of commercial products as mentioned above).

I was wondering what consistency the commercial products are? I currently have a paste that is very thick. I could pipe it and it would almost hold its shape. Does this sound the right consistency or should I take it further where it is more "runny"?

Any guidance appreciated?

Hi - I am currently making pure pistachio paste at home (due to the price of commercial products as mentioned above).

I was wondering what consistency the commercial products are? I currently have a paste that is very thick. I could pipe it and it would almost hold its shape. Does this sound the right consistency or should I take it further where it is more "runny"?

Runnier - it's runny with a layer of oil after sitting.

Runnier - it's runny with a layer of oil after sitting.

Thanks Kerry. Looks like I'll keep it going in the mixer tonight. I was advised to keep the mixer unit cold and not let the nuts heat to the point where the oil seperates completely, so I've been doing it in short bursts and then putting the machine back in the freezer or fridge to cool it down. It seems to be working for now, so fingers crossed.

Edited to add: I've got it to the point where is gets a slight sheen after sitting, so I don't think I'm far from what you're describing. One or two more bursts in the machine tonight should do it.

Edited by gap (log)

• 4 months later...

Hi,

I'm new to eGForums. I've been searching for a way to make pure pistachio paste. I am not even sure what I should use or if there's any tricks. I have grinded roasted pistachio and pistachio oil. Should I just mix them up?

Hi,

I'm new to eGForums. I've been searching for a way to make pure pistachio paste. I am not even sure what I should use or if there's any tricks. I have grinded roasted pistachio and pistachio oil. Should I just mix them up?

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I've been making pistachio paste at home for a while now with great results. I take a batch of pistachios and lightly toast half (only lightly so they keep their green colour) and steam the other half. I then blend/blitz in a food processor. The trick here is to keep the mixture cool so that the oils don't seperate out of the nuts. This usually means doing short bursts in the food processor and then transferring the mixing bowl into a fridge/freezer to let it cool down before you keep going. The nuts will first turn to pistachio meal, then slowly combine into a dough-like texture and will then start to break down into a paste. Obviously the stronger your food processor the better. I usually do this process over a few hours - blitz for 1-3 minutes and when it starts to heat up, put it in the fridge and wait 15 mins or until cool. It's easy to do while watching TV or while you're doing other work in the kitchen.

The resulting paste has been used with success in entremets and chocolates (I used this recipe for pistachio ganache: http://www.chefeddy....hio-chocolates/). I have also used it in ice cream but you will get a little nut residue at the bottom of the unchurned mixture when you leave it to settle overnight. This can be strained out without affecting flavour and I have left it in without affecting mouthfeel as well.

Edited by gap (log)