• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pistachio paste

melmck

guess this depends on where you are located and from whom you can buy products.

i overheard a conversation today at a pastry demo that g.a.f. seelig has a very good quality 100% sicilian pistachio paste that runs about $75/kilo. albert uster also has a pretty decent pistachio paste for about $50/kilo. most other brands aren't 100% pistachio and sometimes have almonds/artificial flavoring, etc. included.

p.s. i'm writing from new york city

The IMO the AU one is very almondy. The sicilian pistachio paste is very good, but the only one that I know that carries it in Chicago is European Imports. If they still have it. Depending on where you are, you may want to contact gourmand. I believe that they have a few imported pistachio pastes that are very good too.

Patrick Sheerin

I have pistachio paste that I couldn't resist buying, but I'm not sure what to do with it. I got it to make ice cream, but the recipes I have don't start with paste. Any ideas or recipe sources on ice cream or other desserts with the paste?

• 12 years later...

Anyone still following this post?  Pistachio paste is expensive.  I ordered a brand called "Love 'n Bake," which turned out to be over half olive oil and sugar.  Fiddleyfarms pistachio paste, bought through amazon, is 100% Pistachios.  

On 3/31/2004 at 10:31 AM, achevres said:

I have pistachio paste that I couldn't resist buying, but I'm not sure what to do with it. I got it to make ice cream, but the recipes I have don't start with paste. Any ideas or recipe sources on ice cream or other desserts with the paste?

There is a current Ice cream topic running in here.

Home-made Ice cream 2015-  Look at that!!

also here is the link of one of the participants 

http://icecreamscience.com/homemade-salted-caramel-ice-cream-recipe/

Let me find it!!

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)

Its good to have Morels

18 minutes ago, Tennessee Cowboy said:

Thanks Paul  I'm watching the Home Made Ice Cream forum, lots of good stuff.  Ice Cream science is a great reminder.  I'm going there.

This was the link I wanted to post!!

http://icecreamscience.com/roasted-pistachio-ice-cream-recipe/

Its good to have Morels

You could make marzipan with paste. Some cakes are traditionally enrobed in marzipan: battenburg, English fruit cake, etc. and sometimes cake style petit fours have some on top to give crisp look to the fondant which is poured over.

Bonbon centers are always an option, truffles should be fairly easy.

You could also make cookies. This would be a great sandwich cookie with dark chocolate.

Think of it like you would peanut butter. Looking around at other nut butter uses make give you some ideas.

At the risk of repeating myself after posting in the Pistachio ice cream thread, I highly recommend the Sicilian Villa Reale paste. I ended up eating it out of the jar and I won't say how long that jar lasted, so I can't attest to how it bakes or what ice cream made with it is like. Would love recipes for shortbread or cake etc. using this stuff!

On 3/31/2004 at 10:25 PM, alanamoana said:

guess this depends on where you are located and from whom you can buy products.

i overheard a conversation today at a pastry demo that g.a.f. seelig has a very good quality 100% sicilian pistachio paste that runs about $75/kilo.

If you are in NY, check also at Buonitalia in Chealsea mkt, maybe they have the bronte paste and their prices are generally good.

I have a pastry chef friend here in Brooklyn and he said to me it was much cheaper for them to ship pistachio paste from Italy.

I brought some back with me last summer (Bronte paste) from these guys, I'm 100% sure I got a paste from Bronte. Payed 10.22 euros taxed included for 250 g :D

It's maybe good thing to ask if they ship to the US.

Edit to add: and this month they also have a 30% discount on their products.

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 1

On 5/15/2016 at 10:09 AM, Paul Bacino said:

This was the link I wanted to post!!

http://icecreamscience.com/roasted-pistachio-ice-cream-recipe/

I have tried this recipe.  It is the smoothest, best ice cream I've ever made, and the pistachio version has great mouth feel and taste.  I used Fiddleyfarms pistachio paste, btw, which is 100% pistachios

• Like 1

• 1 month later...