• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hot or Not?

Cusina

Can go away

Frou frou martinis in glasses big enough to soak your feet

do you just mean frou frou drinks in big glasses or any drinks in big glasses? because i def hav an affinity for unhealthy sized manhattans

"i bet you smell like strawberry ice cream... the good kind" - e.dunn

Can go away

Frou frou martinis in glasses big enough to soak your feet

do you just mean frou frou drinks in big glasses or any drinks in big glasses? because i def hav an affinity for unhealthy sized manhattans

I'm not Betts, but I'll answer for myself: I want any frou-frou drink that calls itself a martini (but is obviously not a martini) to go away. Especially if it's served in a gigantic martini glass.

Gourmet Anarchy

There's milk delivery available in Boulder/Longmont, CO (I don't know for sure, but probably Denver also) as well. So is it a unique to Colorado phenomenon?

We have milk delivery here in Seattle too.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

In: The death penalty for anyone who calls a martini any drink that calls for anything but gin (OK, only probation for people who use vodka).

Also in: Good buttermilk.

Out: The lousy buttermilk I find at the local stores.

So we checked into a motel on the interstate and waited there until the next day - when the snow stopped.  Do the milkmen deliver in weather like that?  Robyn

I can only speak for our milkman, but he's NEVER missed a delivery. Never. Rain, snow, my being too lazy to shovel our front walk, the milk is always there Friday morning when we get up. I'm sorry to hear the weather was so bad when you were here. Hope the motel wasn't TOO bad!

And just to stay in topic, I'd also like to see diet proselytizing go away. Completely away. Far, far, far away. I never want to hear about someone's diet restrictions again unless I specifically ask about them. (And that is the only instance in which I offer my own.)

Marcia.

Edited by purplewiz (log)

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

Please no more:

Rare tuna steak

Why is this Nineties throwback still plaguing us? Look, I love tuna sashimi, but when I want raw tuna then that's what I'll order!

If I'm cooking tuna at all, it's because I want to taste the oozing fat and feel the individual flakes of tuna flesh sliding over one another as I bite into it. With crunchy sea salt, maybe a squeeze of lemon.

Instead, double helpings of:

Salt cod

The original fusion food - northern European ingredients, served in Spanish, Portuguese, Italian or Provincial French style. Theoretically penitential, in fact wonderful.

Bone marrow

In osso bucco, roasted and on toast, stirred into risotto, eaten from the bone after a roast.

I'd like to see growth hormones out of veal and beef, and no antibiotics injected into chickens by raising them in healthy conditions to begin with.

I would like to see bacon drippings back in the coffee can on top of the stove, and home made divinity cooling on waxed paper in the afternoons. Somthing to strive for.

In:

Different fats: goose, duck, laaaaaard, even clarified butter

Purees with chunks still in them, not just baby-food smoothness

Old-school desserts like fruit and frangipane tarts, St. Honores, etc.

Pairing beer with food

Pork raised to be tasty and not "the other white meat"

Classical sauces

Rumaki

Out:

That light-green, tough lettuce that's like chewing on hair--I can't think of the name right now but it is often used to "top" a salad

"Root vegetable medley"

Plate presentation so intricate that you have to whirl your plate around in a few circles before you can figure out how to attack the food

Broths and gastriques

Squeeze bottle designs--the squeeze bottle is handy, but I'm tired of doing those squiggles

Improper use of menu terminology: tagine, confit, pate vs. terrine, etc.

Noise is music. All else is food.