• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dessert Dilemma

hspringut

Has anyone had any really outstanding desserts downtown recently? I'm taking my boyfriend to Casa Mono for his birthday next weekend, but their desserts are rather limited and aren't supposed to be great, so I'd like to go somewhere else afterwards.

I know Gramercy Tavern is a perennial dessert favorite, and it IS close by, so we may well end up going there, but I've never really loved their stuff; they always seem just a little too "homey" for me, like something I would make myself. And I've not been back since Claudia Fleming left. Plus, you can't order the dining room desserts in the tavern. On the other hand, it'll be easy to get a seat and the tables are spaced far enough apart that we'll have some semblance of privacy.

I've been thinking of going to Babbo, I LOVE their desserts, but Saturday night will be a zoo, and I really don't want to have to wait a long time for seats. AND we'll probably end up having to sit at the bar, which would not be romantic at all. There's always Otto for gelato.

Chikalicious is another option, but again we'll likely have to wait a long time on a Saturday night in the teeny-tiny room. Also, the desserts seem a little precious, which is fine for me, but it's not really the kind of food my bf likes.

Veritas is also on my list, the bar is always quiet, but, while I love their savory food I've never been blown away by any dessert I've had there.

So, basically I'm looking for someplace within a 20 minute or so walk from Casa Mono (Irving Place and 17th) that has fantastic desserts, and a quiet atmosphere in which we'll be able to carry on a conversation. I won't mind having to wait for a table for 10-15 minutes, but nothing longer than that.

Any suggestions for me!?

I haven't been there, but I understand that Oceana's pastry chef is fabulous. And the entrees get good reviews too. :rolleyes:

edit: I didn't read the full list of requirements. Oceana is in midtown, so it's too far for you to walk. But you might want to consider it for the future.

Blue Water Grill has good desserts too, though nothing out of the ordinary.

Edited by alacarte (log)

You're right, I love Oceana, but we DO want to walk, despite the forecast of rain, yuck.

I suppose if Babbo is totally packed (which it will be, unless a mighty hand intervenes) we can just head around the corner to Otto. Can't really beat their gelato in NY. Plus ice cream is a fun date food. You can FEED each other. :wub:

I wonder if Casa Mono would call ahead to Babbo as we were leaving and have them hold a two-top or bar seats for 15 minutes........ Seems unlikely, but it IS (ahem, ahem) a special occasion, at least for me. :raz:

I wonder if Casa Mono would call ahead to Babbo as we were leaving and have them hold a two-top or bar seats for 15 minutes........ Seems unlikely, but it IS (ahem, ahem) a special occasion, at least for me. :raz:

Why not just call Babbo and make the reservation for two persons for dessert and let them know what the situation it, maybe they will be accommodating :rolleyes:

WorldTable • Our recently reactivated web page. Now interactive and updated regularly.

How about Fleur de Sel. I haven't actually been yet, but they are supposed to have excellent desserts.

Same thing goes for Toqueville.

There's Mesa Grill or Bolo.

A further walk (probably too far in the rain) gets you to Wallse, where Pierre Reboul is currently working.

Edited by mjc (log)

Mike

The Dairy Show

Special Edition 3-In The Kitchen at Momofuku Milk Bar

Fleur de Sel looks most interesting to me, dessert menu wise.

BTW, where on E20th is it located?

I used to live at Park Ave S, between 20th and 21st.

Mesa grill and Bolo used to be always good for a quick dessert fix.

Eager to please too.

Bolo especially.

2317/5000

Note of caution on the coffee at Fleur de Sel: if you order coffee it is served in individual French presses - that's good. When we we there they plunged it in the kitchen before it was brought out - that's bad. They were clueless about how long to let the coffee steep before plunging and it looked about like weak iced tea. I sent it back and they did a bit better the second go around but not by much. In contrast, the coffee at Gramercy Tavern in the front room, just a block or two from there, was some of the best I've ever had in a restaurant.

I used to live at Park Ave S, between 20th and 21st.

Ha! We might have been neighbors.

254 from August or September of '95 until some point in '97.

WoW!!!

I lived there, 1-J, from 8/98 to 10/00

Small world, eh?

2317/5000

I moved away from NY long ago so can't express any opinions here regarding dessert heaven there.

My choice would be to go home, make some incredible flavoured whip cream with some fresh fruit and get into bed...

The following day, go to the restaurant of your choice and time and have at it!!!

Despite the fact that this post is probably after the fact, I recommend the chestnut pudding in chocolate sauce at Gnocco Cucina & Tradizione located at 337 east 10th Street (A&B) www.gnocco.com. This retaurant is not in the same class as a Babbo, however, and the other desserts at Gnocco pale in comparison. In fact, what usually happens is that if a relative or close friend comes to town, I will take them there for dessert and will recommend the chestnut pudding. Then they will order either the sorbet or another dessert while I order the pudding in chocholate sauce. When the waiter brings the desserts to the table my dining partner takes one look at the pudding and their jaw drops :shock: . Then they begin to cry :sad: . As I am a softy :wink: , I offer them the Chestnut pudding in chocolate sauce while I take the inferior dessert.

As I have a sweet tooth, I would be very intersted in knowing where you decided to go, and, well...what you ordered for dessert.

Signed,

mascarpone

Edited by mascarpone (log)