• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

THE BEST: Greek food in Astoria

Daniel

Check out Stamatis, or Christos-Hasapa Taverna.

Oh oh oh oh. I wanted to suggest Hasapo Taverna, but it's so many years since I last went there I was terribly afraid it wouldn't exist any more. If it's anything like what it was 10 years ago it's some of the best Greek food on the planet, not excluding what I ate in Greece (often marvelous, but not notably better). If you're really lucky and spring is behaving like spring (but oh damn, Friday is TODAY I just realized, not next week) you might be able to eat outside, under the grape arbors in back. Among many other delights I remember marvelous offal of various kinds. Lamb, mostly. Grilled? I think so.

If it's the same place, that is....

Tried Agnandi tonight. Daniel, I though the same thing as you -- that the Newsday review was from that day -- but it's actually from 2003. The Newsday site for some reason puts today's date on whatever you're reading.

Anyway, I immediately liked the place upon arrival. It reminded me of Elias Corner in the old days, pre-decline and pre-move. Not that the emphasis is as heavily on fish as at Elias, but it had that neighborhood, ethnic, family vibe. Ellen was certainly the whitest person there -- with strawberry hair she was a downright curiosity. The woman who seems to be the owner took an interest in each table, recognized us as new customers, asked how we had heard about the place, presented us with the restaurant's business cards -- you know, all the things that every restaurateur should fucking do as a matter of common sense but so few bother with. Service, while not particularly skilled, was super-friendly so nobody minded.

The good dishes were very good, and there were also some duds. My interim conclusion -- and I will go back -- is that if you can learn how to order at this place you can probably get a stellar meal.

Best items: Greek sausage (moist and with an incredible orange fragrance), crushed pea spread, saganaki, cigar-shaped cheese boureks, sardines

Mediocre: the salads (leaden unripe tomatoes, the lowest possible quality oil and vinegar), the 5 remaining spreads we tried (all much better at S'Agapo, I think), the souvlaki, the salmon

Poor: the bacalao (super-greasy and way too salty even for bacalao), and the gratis desserts (two different semolina-ish cakes that were dry and unappealing)

Overall the past few meals I've had at S'Agapo have been better, but I know how to order at S'Agapo based on many, many meals there. I think it's probably going to be worth learning to order at Agnandi. I should have at least taken Zora's advice, but the only printout I had with me was of the Newsday review.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Second what Jason says.

I used to live in Astoria (7 years, baby!), and the most Uncle George's was good for was a midnight snack of roast chicken and lemon potatoes.  S'Agapo is infinitely better, but Stamatis, as Christopher Walken would say, is "da shiznits" as far as Greek food is concerned.

Omonia otoh is amazing when it comes to Greek pastries and desserts.

Soba

Hi Soba!

As my achilles heel at the moment is baklava, I would be very interested in learning the whereabouts of Omonia otoh. How does it compare with Poseidon Bakery on 9th Ave. and 44th and 45th in Manhattan or the Oriental Bakery on Atlantic Avenue in Brooklyn?

mascarpone

Edited by mascarpone (log)

....  But it has really started me on a quest to find the best greek place in astoria!

I dated a guy for 15 years and he lives off 30th Ave. Best Greek is that little hole in the wall on 30th at the triangle where the grocery is...(help, it's been years since I've been there).... near the 30th/Grand N line bridge

We were the only non-Greeks in the place...during World Cup.... and even after... we used it as our local place to go, as did others, even as the neightborhood changed it didn't.

Boy, I miss that resturant...him? eh <shrug :hmmm: > :laugh:

"As an ancestor of the next generation, ask yourself what history will you leave behind?"

~~ Ginny Salkowski: 2002 ~~

Second what Jason says.

I used to live in Astoria (7 years, baby!), and the most Uncle George's was good for was a midnight snack of roast chicken and lemon potatoes.  S'Agapo is infinitely better, but Stamatis, as Christopher Walken would say, is "da shiznits" as far as Greek food is concerned.

Soba

Hi Soba!

As my achilles heel at the moment is baklava, I would be very interested in learning the whereabouts of Omonia otoh. How does it compare with Poseidon Bakery on 9th Ave. and 44th and 45th in Manhattan or the Oriental Bakery on Atlantic Avenue in Brooklyn?

mascarpone

i think omonia is off the broadway stop on the n or w (the never and the whenever, i affectionately call them). i don't know my directions, but if you get off the subway and walk on broadway toward steinway avenue, omonia is on the right hand side around 34th street?! i just walked by the other day. they supposedly made the wedding cake for "my big fat greek wedding", they have a poster in the window of the movie.

i think this is the place you're talking about.

• 2 months later...

This afternoon my girlfriend and I went to a Cretan restaurant S'Agapo Taverna at 34-12 34 Avenue in Astoria, New York (718-626-0303). Lunch is served from 12-3. There was outdoor seating that was pleasant despite a strong breeze that occasionally blew the napkins off the table. The Ohtapodi Skaras (Mediterranian Grilled Octopus--$12/10.50 TM) was very good as was the Tsipoura Skaras(whole grilled Porgy--$24) and the Kalamari Skaras served with red beat skordalia(Grilled Squid--$15/13 TM). Great Pita and olive oil was served along with mediocre Italian bread. My great mindless moment of the meal was when I asked for Turkish Coffee (OOPS! :wacko: As I had just put my foot in my mouth my girlfriend suggested that if I was still hungry I could order another fish it it might taste better. I replied that I was just craving of my favorite Cantonese restaurant (chicken feet) :biggrin: ). The waiter smiled and said that they served Greek Coffee. I also got baklava and my girlfriend got Sage tea. Both hot beverages were excellent and the portion of the pastry, made on the premesis, was generous; yet the baklava was not as good as that found at the Poseidon Bakery in Manhattan (44th/9th).

The bill came out to $80 after tax and tip. We were very satisfied.

Edited by mascarpone (log)

Second what Jason says.

Soba

Hi Soba!

mascarpone

i think omonia is off the broadway stop on the n or w (the never and the whenever, i affectionately call them). i don't know my directions, but if you get off the subway and walk on broadway toward steinway avenue, omonia is on the right hand side around 34th street?! i just walked by the other day. they supposedly made the wedding cake for "my big fat greek wedding", they have a poster in the window of the movie.

i think this is the place you're talking about.

I was able to stop by Omonia Cafe (32-20 Broadway @32nd Street, Astoria) after S'Agapo Taverna (43-21 34th Avenue, Astoria). I puchased Galaktoboureko (Filo-Custard cake), Baklava, and Kataif (the pastry that looks like shredded wheat). In comparison to the fare at the Poseidon Bakery (629 Ninth Ave @44th, Manhattan), the size of the pastry at Omonia Cafe is considerably larger. Baklava at the Poseidon Bakery is more expensive than that of the Omonia Cafe as one small piece is over $2 and one large slice of baklava at the Omonia Cafe is $2. As I have not tasted the Galaktoboureko or the Kataif at the Poseidon Bakery (although I have had several Folgera), I can't compare the taste of these other two pastries. Poseidon's baklava has a more dense and nutty texture, but is not as sweet as that at Omonia Cafe-- Poseidon's baklava has a different taste perhaps because it is made with Rose Water. I am more accustomed to the taste of baklava as made at Omonia Cafe. However, although very different, I like the baklava at the Poseidon Bakery as well.

• 10 months later...
So, where should I go for greek food in Astoria????? Is there a current thread on this?

Elias Corner, (or as the sign on top of the restaurant says, "Elias Corner FOR FISH" :biggrin:)

24-02 31st St. 718-932-1510

Fresh fish and seafood, several greek specialties as apetizers. it gets crowded, so be there early.

SD

We''ve opened Pazzta 920, a fresh pasta stall in the Boqueria Market. follow the thread here.

My blog, the Adventures of A Silly Disciple.

So, after reading all the responses, lots of good info - but I don't know where to go. I am looking for a plzce that will be part of my NYC tour - so I don't want to fancy of a place just a good quality greek place that we can split a bunch of appetizers at and get some flaming cheese made tableside!!

We're planning a trip into that area tomorrow. Are any of these places mentioned in this thread OK with kids? We have two little boys, 5 and 3. They go out to ethnic (Chinese, Korean, Mexican) places all the time and are reasonably well behaved.

From reading this thread, I am assuming that Uncle George's (sp?) would be fine with kids, but that the food isn't that good. HOw about the places like s'Agapo? And are reservations needed?

thanks!

• 1 month later...

I'm going to be having dinner in Queens on Monday night. I'm leaning towards Greek because Astoria is the most convenient neighborhood and because I haven't had greek food in a while.

Based on previous posts it looks like S'agapo because this thread has been really mixed on where to go.

What dishes should i order, grilled octopus? Also, is this the right place to go if i want to keep my meal to $25 and under per person?

If anyone has a strong opinion that I should go somewhere other than S'agapo, let me know.

:biggrin: Under $25, go to Uncle George's and forget what the board says. Order the Calamari fried and the Orzo in tomato sauce as a side. Set you back $13.00 and you will be full and happy. I eat in Per Se, Jean Georges, and Wendy's. In Astoria, I go to Uncle Georges. Its not pretty, its not a fine dining experience, but the food is fresh and delicous. If there are fish specials, it is usually swimming prior to cooking. Enjoy..

I'm going to be having dinner in Queens on Monday night.  I'm leaning towards Greek because Astoria is the most convenient neighborhood and because I haven't had greek food in a while.

Based on previous posts it looks like S'agapo because this thread has been really mixed on where to go.

What dishes should i order, grilled octopus?  Also, is this the right place to go if i want to keep my meal to $25 and under per person?

If anyone has a strong opinion that I should go somewhere other than S'agapo, let me know.

AK, I could not disagree more with Papa Georgi. The place is totally inconsistent and I haven't had a decent meal there in at least 10 years.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

My friend and I had a light dinner this evening at Philoxenia in Astoria (north of the Triboro 23rd Avenue at 26th Street), Sietsema's #4 pick on his new Best Cheap Chow list.

The menu is fairly limited as Greek restaurants go, with a few Greek meatball dishes, Greek sausage, some fresh fish, a chicken and beef dish or two, some salads and assorted hot/cold appetizers -- but all of what they brought out of the kitchen looked wonderful. And since there were only two of us and we weren't very hungry, we did plenty of gawking...

Indecisive on the cold appetizers, my friend asked if instead she could get a platter of mixed appetizers. While it wasn't on the menu, they they graciously agreed and brought her a large plate of five or six spreads for which they charged $10. Forgive my forgetting the greek names here... The standouts were the tzatziki (thick consistency, bold flavor), the eggplant salad (course, not smooth paste), and a garlic potato spread that had a lot of kick. All went very nicely on the sesame bread served (okay -- it seems to have been sitting for a bit).

Forgoing one of the greek sausage dishes at the last second, I instead opted for the beef stew special ($11). What I received was a plateful of melt-in-your mouth chunks of beef, in an oil/tomato paste sauce accompanied by white rice lightly dusted with cheese. Very simple, but tasty.

At the end of the meal, we were served gratis a thick yogurt laced with honey and crushed nuts (not cloying, nice contrast of sweet and sour plus the texture).

Looking around at what others were ordering, the salads looked wonderful, as did the fish menu dishes and fish specials. Like the food, the dining room itself is understated but nice, and there are a few tables out front under a covered awning. The staff is very gracious.

While it didn't "wow" me as perhaps I thought a #4 on Sietsema's list would, all-in-all it was a pleasant "home cooking-esque" dining experience and certainly a place to which I'd return to explore more of the menu.

Edited by Josh (log)

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." -- Mark Twain