• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

El Vergel

Anyone been to this restaurant near Borough Station?

I read somewhere it is Latin/Mexican type cafe...

I will try next week, but if anyone has been, do tell...

The address is 8 Lant Street - apparently only open for b'fast and lunch til 3:30

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

if you get there and it's closed, there's a peruvian place next to london bridge station. it's called titos and it's at 4-6 london bridge street. it's been very quiet when i have been there, but they do a good pisco sour and cerviche.

given i wouldn't know authentic peruvian food if paddington bear himself served it to me, don't blame me if it isn't, but i've had a couple of nice meals there.

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

Hummm...sounds a tad suspicious. Especially the 'open for breakfast' part. Then again, one never knows.

Can't wait to hear your report (though not holding my breath).

Why suspicious? Am I going to get mugged in Borough?

Here is their website:

El Vergel

It says they are a catering/events company, but I got their name from the Cool Chile Company as a cafe...

I think I'll have to try the Peruvian also... a 2 stop lunch....

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

el vergel is good, quite small. More a sandwich bar/cafe than restaurant, off the beaten track

Lovely chilean village bread, Empanadas, Churrasco Queso(Steak,salsa sarnies) and specials everyday. I work about 1 minutes walk from it but can be quite pricey for regular working lunch

They also do a delicious cherry cheesecake,.! Not sure its very chilean but very good...

Oh and colleagues say there brekkie is very good, they shut about 3pm each day

Enjoy :biggrin:

x

Hummm...sounds a tad suspicious.  Especially the 'open for breakfast' part.  Then again, one never knows. 

Can't wait to hear your report (though not holding my breath).

Why suspicious? Am I going to get mugged in Borough?

Here is their website:

El Vergel

It says they are a catering/events company, but I got their name from the Cool Chile Company as a cafe...

I think I'll have to try the Peruvian also... a 2 stop lunch....

Suspcious only because of so many other previous disappointments. Also, I wasn't aware that Latin American cuisine was noted for their breakfasts :wink:

• 2 years later...

Not sure if there is anywhere in London that I'd rather have lunch than El Vergel at the momenyt. The tacos with refried beans, guacamole, tomato, coriander and spring onion are one of the tastiest, zingiest, freshest dishes out there, and it's a fun place to eat in too: characterful, good service, water in jugs on the tables and also little pots of freshly made salsa. The cherry cheescake mentioned upthread ain't bad either.