• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

That roll with soup in it

You know what I'm talking about.

The soup that's served in a hollowed out roll (sourdough perhaps?).

What roll do they use? What size is it?

Where did it originate?

I thought La Brea Bakery, but their website doesn't mention it.

I'm going to do some more poking around, but it'd be great if anyone could chime in.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

I'm assuming Shepeard's Bread (hollowed out and used for that spinach dip) is too large for the bread bowls you're talking about.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

That concept has been around a lot longer than LaBrea bakery--if I were to guess, I'd say European origins.

It'd be interesting to know from where.

Whether from Boudin or anyone else,

does anyone know what it is served in?

Can anyone describe the container?

Edited by herbacidal (log)

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

In the middle ages people used flat breads or thick slices as "trenchers" instead of plates. If you were really hungry you ate the plate as well. Hence the expression "a good trencherman" . They also ate soup/stews, so the tradition must go back at least that far.

There are also delicious steamed chinese buns (Tang Bao) with liquid centres, made by wrapping the dough round strongly jellied stock before steaming.

Thus soup-in-a-bun goes back at least a thousand years, if not more...

for what this is worth, and let me further preface this by saying I was just a cook on the line, a restaurant I used to work at used to keep the bread bowls for so long the would start to mold on the bottom, and they wanted us to just shave the mold off and serve them.

I never would do it.

I also never ate there, and never eat there to this day.

The breads that work best for this are breads that have more substance to them, so sourdough or levain type breads. Unless the soup or stew is very thick in which case almost any bread would hold up to it.

Whatever size you want--a 6 -12 ounce roll/loaf is probably best for single portion servings.

Fred Bramhall

A professor is one who talk's in someone else's sleep

for what this is worth, and let me further preface this by saying I was just a cook on the line, a restaurant I used to work at used to keep the bread bowls for so long the would start to mold on the bottom, and they wanted us to just shave the mold off and serve them.

Let me give an extremely sophisticated answer to that.

"Eew."

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

In the middle ages people used flat breads or thick slices as "trenchers" instead of plates. If you were really hungry you ate the plate as well. Hence the expression "a good trencherman" . They also ate soup/stews, so the tradition must go back at least that far.

There are also delicious steamed chinese buns (Tang Bao) with liquid centres, made by wrapping the dough round strongly jellied stock before steaming.

Thus soup-in-a-bun goes back at least a thousand years, if not more...

Thanks, I' ve always wondered where that word came from.

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

I LOVE bread bowls. I always like dipping bread in soup and well, bread bowls just take away the step of dipping the bread. In my local supermarket they sell bread bowls in the bakery section. I don't like to bake, so I've never tried to make the bread bowls myself. Obviously they have to be sturdy with a thick crust to hold soup or stew, or chowder.

what do you mean what it is served in? i thought it was served in the bread?

Well, yes it's in the bread, but if they expect you to eat the bread, which I expect they would, they would serve it to you in/on something, I'd imagine.

If eating there, probably on a plate.

But I was just thinking about if someone wanted it for take-out, is there a container it was served in?

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

I can't say whether or not the practice originated there, but "bread bowls" of curry are standard fare in Durban, South Africa. They are called Bunny Chow (evidently no one knows quite why). There is an interesting story about their origin: in the days before throw-away plastic containers, restaurants that were not permitted to seat "colored" customers could sell take away food to them. Someone at an Indian restaurant came up with the idea of putting curry into a hollowed-out loaf of bread.

I can't say whether or not the practice originated there, but "bread bowls" of curry are standard fare in Durban, South Africa.  They are called  Bunny Chow (evidently no one knows quite why).  There is an interesting story about their origin: in the days before throw-away plastic containers, restaurants that were not permitted to seat "colored" customers could sell take away food to them.  Someone at an Indian restaurant came up with the idea of putting curry into a hollowed-out loaf of bread.

http://funkymunky.co.za/foodpics.html

Cool pictures of South African food, including Bunny Chow. The whole site is pretty cool, actually. Lots of recipes for South African stuff.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I never would do it.

I also never ate there, and never eat there to this day.

I worked in a place that served chicken salad in a half coconut shell with the coconut meat still in it. When the plates came back to the kitchen they ran the coconut shell through the dishwasher (coconut meat and all) and then chilled it before using it to serve chicken salad to yet another unsuspecting customer. My first day on the job I served one of these to former NYC mayor John Lindsay and he's now deceased but there's no connection between the events.... or is there?

what do you mean what it is served in?  i thought it was served in the bread?

Well, yes it's in the bread, but if they expect you to eat the bread, which I expect they would, they would serve it to you in/on something, I'd imagine.

If eating there, probably on a plate.

But I was just thinking about if someone wanted it for take-out, is there a container it was served in?

Oh I see what you're syaing. Around here the bread companies just pack it in a styrofoam container.