• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NYC egulletarian traveling to DC

Hi all,

I'm traveling to DC with my gf and her mother and sister (16) for the end of the national cherry blossom festival and to visit my sister (24).

Was hoping that Delmarva EGs would be able to suggest some interesting restaurants for us to check out... not looking for ADNY prices -- interesting, regional or up and coming restaurants of moderate price.

I've only just started browsing but the Cafe Atlantico dimsum brunch sounds really awesome.

We are staying on Dupont Circle.

Cheers

-MJR

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA

Sette looks good -- family is Italian so would be a hit no doubt.

It's a shame I can't access Seitsema's reviews beyond 14 days out without $.

What is the address of Zaytinya?

-mjr

edit: n/m I have the address from the website. should I be calling for reservations now?

Edited by mjr_inthegardens (log)

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA

I've always liked Kramerbooks and Afterwords Cafe, right on Dupont Circle.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

You can do that (normally) by searching via Entertainment Page, but currently that portion of website is unavailable. The Bush Administration is partially responsible for this.

:sad:

Actually it works again...

Edited by morela (log)

You can do that (normally) by searching via Entertainment Page, but currently that portion of website is unavailable. The Bush Administration is partially responsible for this.

:sad:

I'm usually happy to blame anything from bad weather to flat champagne on the Bush administration, but am unsure how he's interfering with restaurant reviews. Do tell.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Sette looks good -- family is Italian so would be a hit no doubt.

What is the address of Zaytinya?

-mjr

edit: n/m I have the address from the website. should I be calling for reservations now?

Neither Sette nor Zaytinya accept reservations.

The downtown area (where Zaytinya is located) also called the Penn Quarter is especially full of spots you might like, especially with a teenager on-hand.

Matchbox is one of my favorites.

I often struggle when I try to find moderately priced meals in Dupont. If you like bistro-style food, go to Bistrot du Coin (is there a topic dedicated to BdC???), north of the circle.

Luna is inexpensive, but IMHO unspectacular as well. You could do much better.

I've always liked Kramerbooks and Afterwords Cafe, right on Dupont Circle.

I usually try to stay out of there due a really bad book habit - but agreed. Not the greatest food, but acceptable, with really good browsing and people watching. I had a nice brunch there with Malawry not long ago. :smile:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Luna is inexpensive, but IMHO unspectacular as well.  You could do much better.

Do you mean Luna Grill? If so, they're best for breakfast, for lunch and dinner there are better choices.

Anyone been to Raku lately? It used to be a fun place with good food.

Edited by hjshorter (log)

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Depending on how willing to walk your family is, and the weather, about a mile from the cherry blossoms is the Maine Ave. Wharf. It is an outdoor fish market where you can also pick up cooked seafood to go. Freshly shucked oysters and clams, steamed shrimp, chowder, crab cakes, etc. You would probably want to walk down, pick up the food and then head back to the blossoms. If you are interested PM me and I will give you better directions.

Zatinya does accept reservations, but only until 6 or 6:30.

In Dupont and Penn Quarter there is Teasim, which is a local tea house chain. Good for breakfast or lunch.

Ben's chilli bowl is great, but not necessarily on the toursits path. Only go if GF's mother is willing to go to a dive. If she is, it is definately worth it.

For brunch you might want to hop on the metro and head down to Eastern Market Saturday. It's about a mile or so from the Capital, Supreme Court, Library of Congress. Good, cheap brunch and lots of vendors selling jewlery, art and the like. Just the kind of place a 16 year old likes to spend money.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

after you walk around the tidal basin, walk north on 17th to Pennsylvania Ave., cross to the other side and go west towards 18th - right before you hit 18th is the Breadline. This is where you want to go for lunch Mon-Fri (unless you are on a no carb diet) - great bread baked on site (he's doing the bread for Per Se too), unbelievable sandwiches (grilled veggies with tapenade, tuna with olives and preserved lemons, and falafel some of my favorites), and amazing little desserts - imagine an "oreo" that is a pair of great chocolate cookies sandwiching a marscapone center!

skip maine avenue - ugh!

Depending on how willing to walk your family is, and the weather, about a mile from the cherry blossoms is the Maine Ave. Wharf. It is an outdoor fish market where you can also pick up cooked seafood to go. Freshly shucked oysters and clams, steamed shrimp, chowder, crab cakes, etc. You would probably want to walk down, pick up the food and then head back to the blossoms. If you are interested PM me and I will give you better directions.

For brunch you might want to hop on the metro and head down to Eastern Market Saturday. It's about a mile or so from the Capital, Supreme Court, Library of Congress. Good, cheap brunch and lots of vendors selling jewlery, art and the like. Just the kind of place a 16 year old likes to spend money.

The quality of the oysters on the Maine Ave waterfront is pretty suspect. And there really isn't much of a space to sit down and eat. I do think it's worthwhile for a visit though, as it's definitely got some atmosphere (on a warm day even MORE atmosphere-- phew), and it's fun to check out all the fish displays, live crabs scurrying around, and the frequent oddities (both piscine and human) you might encounter.

Eastern Market is a fun place to hang out as well. There is a restaurant called Tunnicliff's across the street that has outdoor seating as well as a French place down the street (Montmarte?) that are good spots for brunch. Or stand in line for the fairly decent crab cake in the market itself. Grab a few cheese samples from the vendor in the market too.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

i am somewhat shocked at many of the suggestions being given to our friend from new york....ben's chili bowl???? the hot dogs arent good and the chili is worse; sure at 3 am, when drunk and on U street it is ok....

tunicliff's?!?!?!? that place is just your run of the mill, not very good bar/restaurant.

down in dupont, hit up johnnys halfshell, for a fancy dinner go to obelisk, hit up 2 amy's for lunch one day for great pizza (need a cab or a car)...

Nothing quite like a meal with my beautiful wife.

Palena, especially the bar menu (best QPR in perhaps the world).

I take it QPR is not Queens Park Rangers?

Brooklyn, NY, USA

I take it QPR is not Queens Park Rangers?

I don't think they'd fit on Palena's bar, never mind the bar menu. :laugh:

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

Quality-price-ratio as they say in the rap game.

Best roasted chicken possibly known to man for $9.

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love

I have to say that Johnny's half-shell looks more up the alley than Obelisk.

Perhaps if it were just me & my girlfriend dining that would be more apropo.

I have to thank everyone for their suggestions. I am mildly intimidated by the options at hand!

I am thinking about Sette Osteria and JHalfShell, Jaleo and Zaytinya are also beckoning.

-MJR

Brooklyn, NY, USA

i am going down from nj also...havig dinner at ten pehn..then that fab bar menu at cafe atlantico....i tried to find the thread and could not...i have it printed at home....geat detail about a huge selections of apps...sound almost too good to be true

i am going down from nj also...havig dinner at ten pehn..then that fab bar menu at cafe atlantico....i tried to find the thread and could not...i have it printed at home....geat detail about a huge selections of apps...sound almost too good to be true

cafe atlantico has a website with menus

you should cross-reference there...

cheers

Brooklyn, NY, USA

i am somewhat shocked at many of the suggestions being given to our friend from new york....ben's chili bowl???? the hot dogs arent good and the chili is worse; sure at 3 am, when drunk and on U street it is ok....

tunicliff's?!?!?!? that place is just your run of the mill, not very good bar/restaurant.

down in dupont, hit up johnnys halfshell, for a fancy dinner go to obelisk, hit up 2 amy's for lunch one day for great pizza (need a cab or a car)...

I would rather eat Ben's stone-cold sober than ever go to Johnny's Half Shell again.

Away from food for a minute -- if you can rouse the crew, get to the cherry blossoms early. Like, cop a Starbucks and be there at 7AM. The Post is reporting that the blossoms will peak this weekend, the sun will come out for the first time since Monday, the Parade is Saturday, the 10-miler on sunday. The Tidal Basin will likely not be a scene of zen-like tranquility. This should come in handy. The guide and schedule can be reached by clicking on the link in the upper left hand article. Note also the "How to beat the crowds" tips.

As for food, just to pile on: I prefer Pesce to Johnny's as a little more raffish and less crowded, but both are great. Though I don't like the place myself, a lot of people swear by the pizza at Pizzaria Paradiso, and a recent review of Sette, while praising the restaurant otherwise, called its pizza inferior to Paradiso's. Also on that P Street strip is my favorite Thai in DC, Sala Thai. Ask for the nam sod and the drunken noodles. And, if you crave Chinese, Mei Wah, on New Hampshire and M, is just a few minutes walk.

If you need to get away from mom and the sis, I recommend martinis with the swells at the Palm, on 19th Street between M and N, or brews with the riff-raff at the Lucky Bar, Connecticut Avenue and 18th.

If you can make it over to 17th and Q, Trio's (diner), Trio's Sub Shop and The Fox and Hounds share an owner and offer a trifecta of low-rent repasts: Trio's diner for, well, diner food; The Fox, for onion rings and a great dive atmosphere; and the Sub Shop for a great cheesesteak or a decent pizza, after a few hours at the Fox.

Have fun, see you early Sunday morning.

Edited to recommend that you go to Eastern Market on Saturday, but avoid Tunnicliff's -- crowded and forgettable -- and consider spending the dinner money on an invariabley delightful and well-priced lunch/brunch at Montmartre. You will look like a star for bringing the crew there (assuming they like French). Then you can gat a BLT at Trios for dinner, and make the 16-year-old happy.

Edited by Busboy (log)

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.