• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NYC egulletarian traveling to DC

tunicliff's?!?!?!? that place is just your run of the mill, not very good bar/restaurant.

down in dupont, hit up johnnys halfshell, for a fancy dinner go to obelisk, hit up 2 amy's for lunch one day for great pizza (need a cab or a car)...

I think the idea (with Tunnicliffs anyway) is the location, not the food.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

tunicliff's?!?!?!? that place is just your run of the mill, not very good bar/restaurant.

Have you been recently? 6 months ago I would have agreed with you, but I think their food has improved quite a bit lately.

then that fab bar menu at cafe atlantico....i tried to find the thread and could not...

Cafe Atlantico

Cafe Atlantico Minibar

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

I second Busboy's suggestions. Get down to the blossoms early unless you want to be surrounded by the swarms of other touristas (not that we aren't glad to have you). Last weekend it was as if the locust came early and all landed at the Tidal basin.

Same goes for the zoo, if you are shlepping up there.

Friday nights the Smithsonian has a free jazz concert at the Natural History Museum. They serve food too, but it's not worth it.

It's a shame we aren't in Code Orange and we can't send you to see the rocket launchers :wink:

It's a shame we aren't in Code Orange and we can't send you to see the rocket launchers :wink:

Well you never know when we'll be in code orange, what with the impending elections...

THanks for the warning about the early rise and shine schedule.

I read another thread that said Old Ebbit Grill was a good breakfast spot...

-mjr

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA

I read another thread that said Old Ebbit Grill was a good breakfast spot...

-mjr

It was indeed good, but on the weekend, you can probably find other choices, particularly in Dupont. During the week, there aren't as many options.

I see...

then if someone could suggest a good Saturday post-cherry blossom brunch option that'd be cool.

I guess the latino dimsum at Cafe A is always an option to book.

-mjr

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA

I'm not much of a brunch person but tend to book at Old Ebbit when forced to set something up for a Saturday. The brunch can be much more pricey than the breakfast (from what I hear of the breakfast) if you stray from the basics or knock back a couple of glasses of wine, but there's a good selection of basic food (burgers, oysters, salad) and it's a nice room in a good location, especially for out-of-towners.

Let me take this opportunity also to re-second the notion of heading up to the Hill to check out Eastern Market to check out the food and the flea market, and lunch at Montmartre.

One final thing: If you end up strolling by the Lincoln Memorial and the Vietnam Memorial, check out the Einstein statue on the North side of Independence avenue. He's usually surrounded by blooming gardens this time of year, and you can sit in his lap.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Have you been recently? 6 months ago I would have agreed with you, but I think their food has improved quite a bit lately.

i ate there probably three weeks ago; because there was a line outside montmarte one sunday early afternoon...and i hate bread and chocolate as well.

Nothing quite like a meal with my beautiful wife.

For those of you who couldn't make it into the city, here is a glimps of what you missed.

Taken across the street from the Eastern Market.

i5054.jpg

If the wind dies down there will be more to follow....

Sorry I didn't get back to this earlier!

Trip to DC was not bad at all -- dreary first day, beautiful 2nd half of saturday that made up for it. Magnificent Cherry Blossoms and Incredible Fireworks on the SW Waterfront.

Onto the chow...

Traffic was hell getting down there, so we just wanted to find somewhere quick to eat on Friday.

We ended up dining at a large Salvadorean/Mexican restaurant "El Tamarindo" with an extensive menu just at the bottom of the hill of 18th St in Adams Morgan closer to Dupont Circle....

Not too shabby... Gf's mom had a delicious fish dish with crisy red snapper and shrimp in some sort of sweet red sauce... I had a buritto duo of chicken and beef... wish I had the sense to try some beef tongue or something more exciting. I was desperate for a drink though and after a quick (weak) pina colada, I finished off the better portion of a sangria pitcher solo.

Second evening was much better planned a more rewarding -- ZAYTINYA reservation at 5:45 ... in the bright sunshine which later yielded to a dramatic (yet generously shielded by adjustable blinds) sunset...

We (the foodies) of the table were unfortunately burdened by a stubborn, recalcitrant 16 year old NON EATER (gf's sister) who turns up her nose at anything outside of chicken, pasta and welldone beef. VERY FRUSTRATING for me and my gf. I persevered and enjoyed though...

HIGHLIGHTS: Brilliant Pitas with Greek EVOO and Pomegranate sauce, Hummus, Baby Octopus, Grilled Lamb Chop, Carrot-Pistachio Fritters and that INCREDIBLE medjool date dessert (highlight of meal). I loved the orange shortbread, pistachio cream and the EVOO ice cream.. I wanted to order seconds.

The wait service was good and I liked the bottle of medium bodied Greek wine they suggested, although the year that came to the table was '02, not '01 which is an oversight on the menu.

All in all a great experience... I look forward to a return trip with completely uninhibited company.

Thank you so much to all the EGs who suggested.... I hope other people found this thread useful also. I haven't been to DC in a while and it was refreshing to see the lively (if a little too button down) bar scene, beautiful architecture, world-class cultural opportunities, and kickass metro system.

CHEERS

-mjr

Brooklyn, NY, USA

...INCREDIBLE medjool date dessert (highlight of meal). I loved the orange shortbread, pistachio cream and the EVOO ice cream.. I wanted to order seconds.

We were there a couple of months ago and that dessert was the highlight for me as well. Spouse thought the chocolate pudding with cardamom espuma was better. But, of course, she is wrong.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

...INCREDIBLE medjool date dessert (highlight of meal). I loved the orange shortbread, pistachio cream and the EVOO ice cream.. I wanted to order seconds.

We were there a couple of months ago and that dessert was the highlight for me as well. Spouse thought the chocolate pudding with cardamom espuma was better. But, of course, she is wrong.

Yeah I was not feeling the chocolate cake dessert that my sister and her bf ordered.

I was all about the medjool....

<drool>

Brooklyn, NY, USA