• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Best Sandwiches in Dallas

Raynickben

List is here.

I, of course, have to add my favorite sandwich on to the list and that is Corner Bakery's Ham on Pretzel. Aside from the cool name it is simply ham, caraway havarti cheese, tomato, red onion, and dijon mayo on a pretzel roll.

In fact I'd like to take credit for this sandwich being on the menu at Corner Bakery. A few years back they stopped making the sandwich. I ordered this sandwich at least once a week so I wrote to the company and bothered the bakery manager a few times and viola' it is back where it belongs. It is also the last thing I ate before moving to Portland and the first thing I ate after moving back. Can you tell how much I love this sandwich?!!!

That's an interesting list. Spencer Michlin must have done some rigorous research at lunch time. There are several I want to try now.

Raynickben, I also like some of the corner Bakery sandwiches, especially those using Steakhouse Rye, a wonderfully dark, chewy bread.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't see the D Magazine article. Eatzie's does a great job on sandwiches. Anything on their flat bread is goood, and you get to tell them how to make it.

It's the closest I've found in Texas to the roast beef heroes I used to get in NYC. There was an otherwise unremarkable Italian deli. A big, rare roast beef sat on the counter. Would get a roast beef on hero bread with mayo, and that good NY potato salad on the side (it was whiter in color, I don't think they used as much mustard as the typical Texas potato salad).

• 2 months later...

the italian sandwich at Jimmy's on the corner of Fitzhugh and Bryan is the best sandwich in dallas right now. The meatloaf sandwich at the Central Market on Lovers is excellent when the sandwich person is good. I've had a tuna sandwich at York streets lunch that would qualify as one of the best sandwiches ever, but that may have been the only time it was served (menu changes every day, and its only open for lunch on thursdays). Also I love the burger at the Loon on lemmon, if you consider a burger a sandwich.

p.s. i was unable to follow the link to the original list if any of this is reiterating what was already said.

thanks-

oren

D Magazine takes their articles off-line after a month or so. You have to pay to read it. I'll try and find it at the library and post the list if I can but if anyone has the issue and can do it please do!