• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ireland Smoking Ban

On Monday, Ireland banned smoking in the workplace, as well as in all restaurants and pubs. Hard to imagine those stereotypical smoke-filled pubs with clean, breathable air now! News reports indicate a general willingness of the public to comply, but the pub owners are a bit skitterish about business.

We have had a long, long Egullet discussion on the New York forum after smoking was banned last year in all NYC bars-- Apparently all the rants about losing business appear to be unwarranted with the new statistics just released.

Any comments on this forward-thinking move by Ireland? Could it spread to the rest of Europe?

Spending a week touring Ireland in January, I found them quite laid back about it. Some restaurants already had no smoking areas, one was entirely no smoking, and in those that didn't have restricted areas the smoke was only occasional.

This new law could have an effect on the rural pubs where traditional Irish musicians perform. But in such places smoke-free laws could be a custom more honored in the breech than in the observance.

Let me tell you a story (as all Irish tales begin). Spike Milligan once told me about his last Irish tour. His small company was rehearsing in the afternoon in their Dublin theatre and broke for a drink. They found a pub near by whose back door was open. They walked in and asked for three pints of Guiness. "I'm sorry," said the bartender, but we can't serve you yet." They turned to go. He called after them, "But would you care for a drink while you're waiting?"

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

Top Google/MSN hit for Paris Bistros

I lived in Enfield, Meath for a while putting together a brewery while working for this Good Idea Gone Really Bad.

It is hard to imagine that rural Irishmen will have any more respect for this law than they do for the pub closing rules. My local was the bar in my hotel (one of three pubs in town) and the after hours drinking was rampant and flagrant. Close the shutters, watch for the Guardai, and use the backdoor. In theory, the only people that can drink after hours in Ireland are people who are drinking in the hotel where they are staying, so anyone else was illegally consuming pints. THe law did not seem to have much effect on the publican (a lovely woman) or her clientele.

I'm thinking that this will be more or less self enforced in the cities and that in small towns it will be winked at.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I, for one, hope Brooks is horribly, horribly wrong! (Sorry, Brooks!)

No one -- and I do mean NO ONE -- loves Paris more than I do, and it would be the destination for every vacation my family takes; except for the smoking. I know that it is culturally accepted, but my wife gets physically ill from the all-pervasive smoking. She has ended up in the hospital. And people think it's all simple dislike. We once had a guest leave in an absolute huff and never speak to us again after we told her she could not smoke in our hotel suite.

Anyway -- last night we heard about the ban on the news. Mrs. Me immediately broached the subject of a vacation in Ireland. I hope the ban is effective.

And just a little bit more of my soapbox -- smokers can go outside to smoke, but people can't go outside to eat.

I'm ready for the attacks, now. Not afraid.

Aidan

"Ess! Ess! It's a mitzvah!"

I, for one, hope Brooks is horribly, horribly wrong! (Sorry, Brooks!)

No apologies needed. I was just analyzing what I see as a cultural difference between city dwellers and country folk in Ireland. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. It won't be the first time. :wink:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I, for one, hope Brooks is horribly, horribly wrong!  (Sorry, Brooks!)

No one -- and I do mean NO ONE -- loves Paris more than I do, and it would be the destination for every vacation my family takes; except for the smoking. 

Traditionally the French say that Paris would be fine except for the Parisians:

Parisien: tete de chien,

Parigo: tete de veau

But I think there are three things wrong with Paris: cigarette smoke, dog shit and third, Parisians. Actually I don't mind Parisians that much; none of my best friends are Parisian.

:rolleyes:

I lived in Enfield, Meath for a while putting together a brewery while working for this Good Idea Gone Really Bad.

It is hard to imagine that rural Irishmen will have any more respect for this law than they do for the pub closing rules. My local was the bar in my hotel (one of three pubs in town) and the after hours drinking was rampant and flagrant. Close the shutters, watch for the Guardai, and use the backdoor. In theory, the only people that can drink after hours in Ireland are people who are drinking in the hotel where they are staying, so anyone else was illegally consuming pints. THe law did not seem to have much effect on the publican (a lovely woman) or her clientele.

I'm thinking that this will be more or less self enforced in the cities and that in small towns it will be winked at.

Don't forget a rural publican's ultimate protection against the Gardai at closing time:

Having a priest in the pub.

Don't think that'll work as well with the smoking ban though (unless the priest himself is smoking).