• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What? No USA wine?

bevman

I'm just now starting to pay attention to the "Wine of the Day" feature in the online version of the WS. I just looked in the March listing and found only ONE wine out of 30 to be from the US (Macrostie). Does anyone else find it odd that this publication, born in California, has become so Caliphobic? (Globalcentric?)

bevman,

The WS Wine of the Day tends to focus on wines that will be rated in the upcoming issue. Note the "for a complete look at blah blah blah wines, check out the tasting report in Month/Day issue."

Last week was mostly 2001 Bordeaux, this week has a bit of Riesling, and it's all to get you to buy the March 31 issue.

They tend to rotate through the regions. If you look in January and February, you'll see plenty of California wines featured.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I don't think it is fair to characterize The Wine Spectator as being "born in California". I remember the magazine when it first came out as a flimsy newsletter instead of the glossy magazine that it is now and they have always heavily featured European wines.

One consideration may be the way wines are released with a large number of European wines being released in the Spring (Italians like to release new wines at Vinitaly which opens tomorrow).

Also, let's face it, there is a lot more wine produced in Europe than there is in the United States. If you looked at numbers alone, the wines of California receive far more coverage than their numbers alone would justify.

Also, let's face it, there is a lot more wine produced in Europe than there is in the United States. If you looked at numbers alone, the wines of California receive far more coverage than their numbers alone would justify.

Also, let's face it, there's plenty of reason to be Calivinophobic.

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais