• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mysterious NoVa

eunny jang

Thanks for the recs.  Some of them I'm a little confused by (no Thai, but whatever), but mostly I need a geography lesson.  Are any of these near Iota?

I've always had a place in my heart for Whitlow's (though I haven't been in a year or so)-- virtually next door to Iota. Most of it is typical bar food, but they make a decent burger, and their chicken fingers aren't your typical flash frozen Sysco kinda thing. Plus, hey-- the bar top is a bowling alley lane! :biggrin:

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

You might not, but plenty of other folks do, and there are enough groups named NoVA thisthatortheother that I wouldn't worry about confusing people.

I'm 100% certain that no one born and raised in northern virginia calls it nova. I can't speak to places like Culpepper County or Manassas or other far out places because, well c'mon...Culpepper? If you want to fit in, don't call it nova. Who wants to sound like they are from Manassas anyway?

Back on topic: I also like Whitlow's on Wilson and they have 1/2 price burgers on mondays. Northern Virginia is also good for korean food, especially Annandale.

I wanna say something. I'm gonna put it out there; if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, send it right back. I want to be on you.

You are 100% wrong.

You might not, but plenty of other folks do, and there are enough groups named NoVA thisthatortheother that I wouldn't worry about confusing people.

I'm 100% certain that no one born and raised in northern virginia calls it nova. I can't speak to places like Culpepper County or Manassas or other far out places because, well c'mon...Culpepper? If you want to fit in, don't call it nova. Who wants to sound like they are from Manassas anyway?

Back on topic: I also like Whitlow's on Wilson and they have 1/2 price burgers on mondays. Northern Virginia is also good for korean food, especially Annandale.

This is a silly thing to be talking about, but I have never heard anyone who lives here call it NoVa. Only businesses and the Community college use this name. There is also Nova University in Fort Lauderdale, but we live in Northern Virginia, Fairfax, Falls Church, Arlington, ALexandria etc..but no not Nova. Just my 2 cents, you Districters :raz: can call it what you want.

Paris is a mood...a longing you didn't know you had, until it was answered.

-An American in Paris

When referring to the Northern Virginia area, I call it "driver's Hell."

* AB drinks one of those "Guiness Pub Draught" beers, with the nitrogen cannister in the bottom of the can.

* AB wonders what Budweiser would taste like with one of those...

<AB> . o O (Like shit, still, I should think.)

When referring to the Northern Virginia area, I call it "driver's Hell."

Yes is is hell, but DC and MD are burning right there with it! I have stopped going out to eat (except close to home) on weekdays because there is so much traffic in both directions on 66!

Paris is a mood...a longing you didn't know you had, until it was answered.

-An American in Paris

Yes is is hell, but DC and MD are burning right there with it! I have stopped going out to eat (except close to home) on weekdays because there is so much traffic in both directions on 66!

The Greater DC Metroplex trades places with the Greater San Francisco Metroplex every year or two for the #2 and #3 spots on the "Worst Traffic In The US" list.

#1 is, of course, Los Angeles.

* AB drinks one of those "Guiness Pub Draught" beers, with the nitrogen cannister in the bottom of the can.

* AB wonders what Budweiser would taste like with one of those...

<AB> . o O (Like shit, still, I should think.)

Finally, this thread has morphed into a discussion of food.

Yeah, the other day traffic was so bad in the Rosslyn area that I could have cooked and eaten a 31-oz. steak while sitting in gridlock.

:wink:

If only VDOT could guarantee no traffic tie-ups would last longer than 90 minutes...

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

Hi

I lived and worked in Fairfax and Arlington for over 20 years, including a wayyy too long stint at Whitlow's on Wilson and Grevey's. It's true that people currently living in the area don't call it NoVA, because that's the name of the comm college, except what's interesting is that when they move down South to UVA (no I did not) to attend school, they start calling it NoVA...

Anyways, several suggestions not noted here thus far...

Cafe Dalat on Wilson Blvd, near Queen Bee, for terrific Vietnamese (yes, this is walking distance from Iota--and by the way, I'd definitely consider Ray's walking distance too).

Unfortuately Mexicali Blues isn't what it used to be, but the ice cream shop next door, Lazy Sundae, is an absolute must, even in the winter. Also on Wilson near Iota.

For outstanding sandwiches, try the Italian Store at 3123 Lee Hwy in the Lyon Village Center.

Other posters and threads have mentioned Hard Times Cafe, and Cafe Asia, and the other little sushi place near Cafe Asia, the name of which escapes me at the moment, and those places are all good.

I'm also a fan of Gino's pizza (square slices w/ provolone) on Wilson.

I remember when Carlyle Grand was quite good, relative to much else in the area, but that was a LONG time ago... Still, their seared tuna salad makes for a decent lunch.

I've always thought Arlington was chock full of good places and often wondered why more wasn't written about it here. But don't neglect Falls Church (of recent NY Times fame), and Annandale (yes, for Korean--esp Secret Garden on Rt 50).

And I'd skip Whitlow's, unless you're going for the burgers or free pool (on Tuesdays?).

Edited by sara (log)

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

My neighborhood fav. is Boulevard Woodgrill. I've come to know the bartenders and they make great bloodies and the food is consistently very good. A typical Sunday (especially during football season) is a seat at the bar around 12:00, a bloody mary, cup of coffee, paper and some eggs benny. Awesome.

For places w/in walking distance from Iota- I'd second the Minh's recommendation. It's on the same side of the street, a block or two down Wilson towards Court House. To me boulevard woodgrill is just -eh- kinda food. Could take it or leave it. I'd rather eat at Whitlow's, indifferent waitresses and all.

I would recommend Delhi Club for Indian, a block or 2 from Iota. I think the owner posts on egullet. The dishes are carefully prepared & reasonably priced. Kabob Bazaar is delicious Iranian food, very casual and inexpensive, also within walking distance of Iota.

The food at Iota is actually not bad. I'm not a fan of Boulevard Woodgrill or Whitlow's. BTW Tallula is less than a mile away from Iota, just up Washington Blvd.